WI: Gran Colombia's annexation of Spanish Haiti followed through?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67076
  • Start date

Deleted member 67076

In 1821 the newly established Republic of Spanish Haiti (the Modern day Dominican Republic) was given an offer to join the republic of Gran Colombia to the south. The Spaniards accepted the offer, and sent back a reply, but it was not to pass before the deal could be approved the Haitian government under Boyar invaded to unify the island under Haitian rule (for a variety of reasons).

But lets say for whatever reason the deal is reached earlier, or Boyar hesitates in invading and news goes out that Spanish Haiti has joined Gran Colombia as another department in the union.

What happens next? How does this affect history and what does this mean for geopolitics in the region?

Gran Colombia would still break up but Spanish Haiti would possibly develop tighter ties with the states of former Gran Colombia. Maybe even being part of Venezuela for a short time.

Haiti/Dominica Would be a better developet San Andres.

Here talking as Colombia, if that proposal passed, i think they would have join as full departament soon, if the union break up as otl, they would keep with us, maybe early development of tobacco and sugar? that would help a lot the finances of the island. the issue is...maybe here we could sold san andres to either the british or nicaragua as we've a far better island or san andres would just be municipios of Bolivar till 1991.

Either that, i think the gringos will try to snatch that for us(but dare it)

Deleted member 67076

Here talking as Colombia, if that proposal passed, i think they would have join as full departament soon, if the union break up as otl, they would keep with us, maybe early development of tobacco and sugar? that would help a lot the finances of the island. the issue is...maybe here we could sold san andres to either the british or nicaragua as we've a far better island or san andres would just be municipios of Bolivar till 1991.

Either that, i think the gringos will try to snatch that for us(but dare it)
Hmm, interesting. I can certainly see the sugar development being started up a few decades earlier and should the Union break apart Colombia would be the most likely choice of who Quisqueya should stick with.

Gran Colombia would still break up but Spanish Haiti would possibly develop tighter ties with the states of former Gran Colombia. Maybe even being part of Venezuela for a short time.
Not necessarily; I wouldn't say Gran Colombia is doomed to break apart until 1826 or so where the dire financial situation (and the increasingly centralized government) really started to cause secessionist tendencies.

That said, assuming the Colombian state breaks apart I do agree there would be a greater orientation south.

Colombia will go to instant war with Haiti, but I bet Haiti will lose this time. But not without Colombia going through some troubles.

Maybe this could be one of those breaking points of the country...

Deleted member 67076

Colombia will go to instant war with Haiti, but I bet Haiti will lose this time. But not without Colombia going through some troubles.

Maybe this could be one of those breaking points of the country...

Why? Haiti was allied to Colombia at this time period and Bolivar held great admiration for the Haitians in their revolution and their aid in his campaigns.

What are the chances of a commercial fleet developing? There's some charm to seeing Columbian merchants vying with the Brits for dominance in the region. Later on in the century, there is always the palm oil trade in the Pacific...

Why? Haiti was allied to Colombia at this time period and Bolivar held great admiration for the Haitians in their revolution and their aid in his campaigns.

>Expecting AH.com members to actually understand anything about Romance speaking American nations beyond banana republics. ;)

Deleted member 67076

What are the chances of a commercial fleet developing? There's some charm to seeing Columbian merchants vying with the Brits for dominance in the region. Later on in the century, there is always the palm oil trade in the Pacific...
This depends on the state finances. Colombia did have a faction that wanted to follow into Britain's footsteps as a commercial power, but the state treasury was perpetually near bankruptcy for a variety of reasons. Should the finances get sorted out, then yes we would see plenty of trading.

>Expecting AH.com members to actually understand anything about Romance speaking American nations beyond banana republics. ;)

Ayy.