WI George Lucas had directed Flash Gordon instead of Star Wars?

The idea for this came from here (interesting interview, by the way):

"For Kurtz, the popular notion that “Star Wars” was always planned as a multi-film epic is laughable. He says that he and Lucas, both USC film school grads who met through mutual friend Francis Ford Coppola in the late 1960s, first sought to do a simple adaptation of “Flash Gordon,” the comic-strip hero who had been featured in movie serials that both filmmakers found charming.

“We tried to buy the rights to ‘Flash Gordon’ from King Features but the deal would have been prohibitive,” Kurtz said. “They wanted too much money, too much control, so starting over and creating from scratch was the answer.
”"

So...what if King Features hadn't been quite so unrelenting and had decided to let Lucas play in the Flash Gordon universe? He never writes Star Wars, instead he just does the Flash Gordon flick he & Kurtz originally wanted and then of course the inevitable sequel. Would it have been as big a hit as SW was in our universe? Certainly it would have been a far cry from the Flash Gordon film we got, and sadly I seriously doubt that Queen would have been on the soundtrack. What effect would all of this have had on the ATL pop culture - instead of the then-new SW mythology we get an updating of the venerable Alex Raymond character. It would be even more interesting if Lucas had simply taken his story for A New Hope and inserted the FG characters into it...

Well, as I don't think Lucas has ever stated just what he intended this Flash Gordon revival to be like, who the hell knows. Could have been a runaway success like OTL SW, could have faded into obscurity. Perhaps the production crew would have put less effort in, knowing the name.

Could that mean Star Trek is bigger in this TL? :eek: SWEET! ;) It's better anyhow. :cool:

Ironically, it was the success of Star Wars that convinced Paramount to do The Motion Picture, which helped boost Trek. So no, not really. :rolleyes:

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0050.html

The Author's comment might show something on the matter... maybe. But only without Flash Gordon.

If I remember right though, wasn't the fact the Lucas didn't have free reign for SW was why people liked it? Of course, I'm just a guy who watched four and a half movies...

He did have more or less free reign and complete control for the first one. For the other two, he delegated things, but he still more or less had the final word.

Thanks for informing me there... I'm really ignorant of anything that's not from the movies for the most part.

WI George Lucas had directed Flash Gordon instead of Star Wars?

Then perhaps, perhaps I wouldn't feel the urge to claw my eyes out whenever I see excerpts from Flash Gordon or just hear Queen's original soundtrack.

"Open fire! With a-all weppuns!"

Aaaaaaargh :eek:

Dale Arden would have been more feisty. Ming would have been more mysterious. Fun would have given way to pomposity. Klytus would have had his word order re-arranged. Flash Gordon might have turned out to be Prince Vultan's long lost love child (but what about wings?).

But they all would have had only 24 hours to master the force.

Well, as I don't think Lucas has ever stated just what he intended this Flash Gordon revival to be like, who the hell knows. Could have been a runaway success like OTL SW, could have faded into obscurity.

From what I understand he wanted it to be what Star Wars was: a contemporary take on the old sci-fi serials of the 1930s, sort of as a counterpoint to the then-current prominence of serious "message" films.

I think that if he kept the same sense of fun and adventure that went into OTL Star Wars it could have been just as big of a hit. Knowing that they are making a modern Flash Gordon film, there might also be less resistance on the part of the actors to reading some of the "corny" dialog.

This could also have other knock-on effects, such as a rival studio deciding to unleash an old-school style Buck Rodgers film, thus preempting the atrocious TV series of the era. Perhaps it might effect the Trek movie as well, though I'm not sure how.