WI: George Boleyn marries Mary Tudor

I’m not officially committing myself to a new TL but I was discussing this idea, a little while back and it’s been stuck in my head ever since.

Anyway it goes along the lines of Jane Parker Boleyn dies early and George Boleyn needs a new bride, in a “tie her tightly so she doesn’t act out” sense of logic, George ends up married to Mary Tudor. Obviously a bad match for those who still consider her a princess, but not necessarily so in the eyes of “she’s the King’s illegitimate daughter”

Then we also considered the idea of Henry dying in that jousting accident in 1536, leaving a pregnant Anne as regent. Obviously then there’s the issue of those who champion Mary now having to deal with the fact she’s married to George and I absolutely cannot see him sanctioning any move against his sister.

Thoughts?

I’m not officially committing myself to a new TL but I was discussing this idea, a little while back and it’s been stuck in my head ever since.

Anyway it goes along the lines of Jane Parker Boleyn dies early and George Boleyn needs a new bride, in a “tie her tightly so she doesn’t act out” sense of logic, George ends up married to Mary Tudor. Obviously a bad match for those who still consider her a princess, but not necessarily so in the eyes of “she’s the King’s illegitimate daughter”

Then we also considered the idea of Henry dying in that jousting accident in 1536, leaving a pregnant Anne as regent. Obviously then there’s the issue of those who champion Mary now having to deal with the fact she’s married to George and I absolutely cannot see him sanctioning any move against his sister.

Thoughts?
That would be interesting... George will receive a Dukedom for his wedding? Or Thomas Boleyn will be elevated as Duke in that circumstance (so to consent to Lady Mary to enjoy at least the rank of Countess)?

Even if Henry doesn't die, people are going to be much less willing to accuse Anne of adultery with her brother, or even adultery at all, since it would reflect on Mary. And Anne's accusers were Mary's supporters.

It would be interesting to see what happens if Henry lives long enough to grow tired of Anne.

That would be interesting... George will receive a Dukedom for his wedding? Or Thomas Boleyn will be elevated as Duke in that circumstance (so to consent to Lady Mary to enjoy at least the rank of Countess)?

I imagine it at least spurs Thomas’ elevation to Duke of Wiltshire with George as Earl underneath so Mary can be Countess. I could see Henry giving George a Dukedom though.

Even if Henry doesn't die, people are going to be much less willing to accuse Anne of adultery with her brother, or even adultery at all, since it would reflect on Mary. And Anne's accusers were Mary's supporters.

It would be interesting to see what happens if Henry lives long enough to grow tired of Anne.

Yeah, I doubt there’d be any plans with Mary, especially as that would get George in the bargain and I can’t see any of her supporters being in favour of that.

It would, I could still see him taking a mistress or multiple but I could see it being harder to unseat Anne here. If at all.

Thoughts?

Short answer? Not for all the tea in China. And then some. Mary only accepted her illegitimate status AFTER her mom died and while her mom is alive Henry ain't going to harm a hair on Mary's head. Katherine of Aragon wasn't just ANNE'S insurance policy, she was Mary's. Karl V barely gave her a second thought once Kate died. He practically fell over himself to make peace with Henry and Elizabeth was betrothed to Felipe II.
So only in a scenario where either Anne produces another daughter in 1536 or Katherine dies earlier (and then Anne might go the same way as earlier since she apparently miscarried three times in 1534 or 1535 IIRC)

Okay, I love it! I've written a couple of Mary/George stories myself before, and they make such a good couple.

One way of getting around Kellan's point might be for Anne to have a son in 1534/1535. If Anne has a son, she's ten foot tall and bullet-proof. She asks Henry to allow the match between Mary and her beloved brother, Henry forces it to please her/prove a point to Mary, and then the baby boy dies after a few months...by which point Mary and George have consummated the match and it can't be annulled. Henry isn't pleased, but gives Anne another chance, and dies in 1536, leaving a pregnant Anne as Regent for her unborn child, if it's a boy/Elizabeth if not...

If Anne has a son and has some brains then she can marry Mary to James V of Scotland.
That's not sensible, not if you're Anne. James has the political clout to push Mary's claim if he wants to. It has to be someone domestic who isn't going to move against Anne (a la George or Henry Howard) or a foreign nobody who just doesn't have the power/connections to do it..

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

I’ve been playing with this idea a bit more and I might piggyback off @FalconHonour ’s idea off Anne having a son who dies young giving her the ammunition to suggest it and get it through.

Plus Henry being...peak Henry for a few months does sound amusing to write.

I have a great fondness for Elizabeth so currently leaning towards Anne’s pregnancy in 1536 resulting in a second daughter - possibly a Margaret? So Anne is regent for Elizabeth.

What do we think the potential of Mary/George having children would be? George didn’t and Mary had her phantom pregnancy and no children but she would be a lot younger here.

What do we think the potential of Mary/George having children would be?
There doesn’t seem to be any reason to assume that either were sterile so I’d say that children are are likely. Though Mary, like her mother, has been through a lot of stress as a young woman so I could see a string of stillbirths/miscarriages with one or maybe two surviving children.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

I’ve been playing with this idea a bit more and I might piggyback off @FalconHonour ’s idea off Anne having a son who dies young giving her the ammunition to suggest it and get it through.

Plus Henry being...peak Henry for a few months does sound amusing to write.

I have a great fondness for Elizabeth so currently leaning towards Anne’s pregnancy in 1536 resulting in a second daughter - possibly a Margaret? So Anne is regent for Elizabeth.

What do we think the potential of Mary/George having children would be? George didn’t and Mary had her phantom pregnancy and no children but she would be a lot younger here.
I'm pretty sure George and Mary would have had kids (who may well wind up Elizabeth's heirs, given they have Tudor/Boleyn blood too...)

I used Blanche for Elizabeth's younger sister once - I never like using Margaret because I don't like copying the current Queen and her sister. I also don't think, given Henry's tempestuous relationship with his oldest sister/grandmother, he would have chosen the name either... But then he's dead and Anne was always fond of Marguerite d'Alencon, so... *shrug*

And what are the Seymours doing by this point? If Anne's had a son, even only a brief-lived one, they may not be on the scene yet. Henry only seems to have noticed Jane in the summer of 1535 OTL, and if Anne still has her son at that point, Henry isn't going to be looking (seriously) at anyone else. If the boy has just died, however, he could well distance himself from Anne in his grief...

I'm pretty sure George and Mary would have had kids (who may well wind up Elizabeth's heirs, given they have Tudor/Boleyn blood too...)

I used Blanche for Elizabeth's younger sister once - I never like using Margaret because I don't like copying the current Queen and her sister. I also don't think, given Henry's tempestuous relationship with his oldest sister/grandmother, he would have chosen the name either... But then he's dead and Anne was always fond of Marguerite d'Alencon, so... *shrug*

And what are the Seymours doing by this point? If Anne's had a son, even only a brief-lived one, they may not be on the scene yet. Henry only seems to have noticed Jane in the summer of 1535 OTL, and if Anne still has her son at that point, Henry isn't going to be looking (seriously) at anyone else. If the boy has just died, however, he could well distance himself from Anne in his grief...

My logic was Anne naming her for Marguerite as I could see her doing that and well...Henry’s ghost can throw a fit I suppose.

I pondered the idea of Henry ending up in Jane’s arms after the Prince of Wales dies. Possibly slightly later than ATL and Jane “comforts” him in his grief.

I clicked through here expecting it was Mary Tudor the Elder but oh well.

If Henry marries Mary off to George, I think he'd be forced to legitimize her first. Or maybe Thomas pushes for it, especially if Anne keeps having miscarriages. More ways to have a Boleyn on a throne for him.

Also, I was watching Wolf Hall again, and Cromwell raised a great point when they thought Henry was going to die after that joust. If there are two daughters of doubtful legitimacy, better to hold the throne for the one of age than for an infant in the cradle. Propping Elizabeth up on the throne when she's still a toddler is a surefire way to start a civil war. Mary's still the better choice; and if George manages to get her pregnant before that joust, then the Boleyns still have an heir to the throne. Can't annul a marriage that easily when there's a child as proof of consummation.

I clicked through here expecting it was Mary Tudor the Elder but oh well.

If Henry marries Mary off to George, I think he'd be forced to legitimize her first. Or maybe Thomas pushes for it, especially if Anne keeps having miscarriages. More ways to have a Boleyn on a throne for him.

Also, I was watching Wolf Hall again, and Cromwell raised a great point when they thought Henry was going to die after that joust. If there are two daughters of doubtful legitimacy, better to hold the throne for the one of age than for an infant in the cradle. Propping Elizabeth up on the throne when she's still a toddler is a surefire way to start a civil war. Mary's still the better choice; and if George manages to get her pregnant before that joust, then the Boleyns still have an heir to the throne. Can't annul a marriage that easily when there's a child as proof of consummation.
No way Mary will be reinstated as legitimate princess ahead of her wedding to George Boleyn, she would be married to him as simple plain Lady Mary Tudor, the illegitimate (but recognized) daughter of the King. And for the English law the only legitimate daughter of King Henry VIII was princess Elizabeth