WI: Garand doesn't emigrate to the USA

What other potential automatic rifles were in consideration if the M1 Garand isn't a reality? (Add pictures if you can).

Would automatic rifles be adopted by the US Army later or sooner.

How would it affect the development of automatic rifles generally and globally?

Driftless

Donor
Or, a bit of a plausibity reach..... One of the later iterations of the Lewis Gun gets tweaked for the dozen-th time and comes back home to the US as a much simplified box-magazine fed semi-automatic rifle. The Lewis gun got re-configured so many times, including ditching the famous clock-work magazine advancement and the barrell shroud. I believe that BSA had created a much simplified and lighter weight full auto version of the weapon.

More plausible, adapted Winchester Arms (1907?) and Browning/FN (much adapted design based on the BAR*) decide to jump into the competition.

* Both Winchester and Browning produced popular semi-automatic hunting rifles, in a wide variety of high power calibers, after WW2

Last edited:
What other potential automatic rifles were in consideration if the M1 Garand isn't a reality? (Add pictures if you can).

Would automatic rifles be adopted by the US Army later or sooner.

How would it affect the development of automatic rifles generally and globally?
Garand was a French Candian (as were my grandparents) Many French Canadians emigrated to the US, particularly New England (including my family) in search of better opportunity Would have needed a compelling reason to stay in French Canada which was rural and poor

Remington autoloaders, though never an option, had always been THE reference model when the Ordnance Bureau did their tests.

Trials with a small number of "militarized" .25 Remington autoloading rifles, despite their unsuitability for combat, provided a body of practical experience with semiautomatic rifles and an appreciation for the idea less powerful ammunition might be a critical part of the successful development of such weapons.

My passage:

It would have been the .276 Pedersen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedersen_rifle
https://www.forgottenweapons.com/m1-garand-development/us-pedersen-276-rifle/

hero-276-pedersen-and-the-other-garand.jpg

Last edited: