WI France had >120 million people?

Throughout much of post-Roman European history, France was Europe's largest country by population and as late as the early 1800s it had a larger population than the combined German-speaking states. Its population was four times the size of England's.

One of the chief reasons behind France's relative decline in power during the second half of the 19th Century was France's demographic stagnation. The French population gained just over 10 million people, growing from about 30 million in 1800 to about 40 million in 1900.

This may have been a major cause of France's weakness in the First World War, and a major factor in their loss in WW2.

According to Wikipedia...

To better understand the demographic decline of France, it should be noted that France was historically the largest nation of Europe. During the 17th century one fifth of Europe’s population was French (and more than one quarter during the Middle Ages). Between 1815 and 2000, if the population of France had grown at the same rate as the population of Germany during the same time period, France's population would be 110 million today -- and this does not take into account the fact that a large chunk of Germany's population growth was siphoned off by emigration to the Americas. If France's population had grown at the same rate as England and Wales (whose rate was also siphoned off by emigration to the Americas, Australia and New Zealand), France's population could be anywhere up to 150 million today. And if we start the comparison at the time of King Louis XIV (the Sun King), then France would in fact have the same population as the United States. While France had been very powerful in Europe at the time of Louis XIV or Napoleon, the demographic decline the country experienced after 1800 helped it to lose this advantage.

(Note: if Wikipedia's figures are wrong, please correct me.)

This leads to a few questions. Historically, why did France not grow similarly to other European countries? Was it lack of industrial development?

Second, from an alternate history perspective, (a) what are some realistic points of divergence that could have lead to France keeping pace demographically, say, from 1800 on, and (b) what would the effects of a MUCH larger France have been?

I'll assume that a change this major would doubtless have altered much of European history over the past two centuries in enormous ways, so much so that I'm not even going to speculate as to the effects of the world wars because it's not at all clear they would have occurred or that they would have occurred in the same fashion. Rather, I'll simply state some broad trends that I think may have emerged.

Had France industrialized more strongly, had its population urbanized, and had it grown at a faster rate - let's say, between the rates experienced by Germany and the UK - a few things would have been clear. For one thing, it would likely mean the historic rivalry with the UK remains, and the UK continues to ally with Germany.

If European integration occurs in some fashion in the 20th Century, it may well occur in a way that limits French participation - perhaps a common market, free trade, but very little political integration between France and the rest of Europe; rather, other European countries, perhaps Central European countries lead by Germany, might band together in a stronger union to achieve some rough parity with France. Alternately, smaller nations on the continent, including Germany, might try to involve Russia and even Turkey in more European affairs in order to provide a better counterbalance to France. Or maybe you get a Europe of "blocs" - France and a couple client states, Russia, a few central European states lead by Germany, and a set of secondary countries such as Italy, Spain and the UK.

France would also punch far higher above its present weight in global affairs. (Indeed, if French population growth had stayed constant earlier on, from Louis XIV's time, France might well be a superpower.)

Much faster French population growth probably results in substantial French out-migration which in OTL was relatively little compared to Germany, Italy, and the UK. So you might have substantial French populations in the Americas, and French emigration to Algeria would have been substantially higher. With the white population of Algeria much larger than in OTL (maybe 1/3-1/2 of the population?), perhaps the French hold onto Algeria (albeit with full rights for the Arab/Berber population?).

The French language might also have a far higher place internationally. Since I'm mostly looking at post-1800 PODs, perhaps the British still have a larger empire and the U.S. would likely still become a major power, so English might still be preeminent. But French imperial influence might be higher and that could well lead to French becoming the international lingua franca.

Any thoughts or disagreements?

Hecatee

Donor
I think a larger French population would have led to an increase of the borders of France up to the Rhine, no one being able to withstand such a demographic juggernaut. If from Louis XIV time, it would also probably lead to a bigger emigration toward the two main French colonies, Quebec and Louisiana, as well as maybe more investment in India (altough I think the games were already done quite early on in this area). But the main effect I think would be felt during the revolutionary wars, with much harsher defeats of Prussia and Austria due to the new manpower tactics leading to not larger armies but more French armies available. Should France still get Napoleon and involvement in Spain then Wellington might well have a much more difficult time.

If we start around 1800 then the main effects would probably be felt around 1870 with a different outcome for the Franco-German war, leading to a defeat of the Prussian led forces and possibly French borders with German lands on the Rhine (and no unified German state). It would also have implications in both Algeria and Indochina. Larger resources might even push the French to go to war with Korea in the 1860's (they had expeditions there but no occupation policy, that could well change). Also it might well speed up French colonization in Africa, with less lands going to the UK and maybe some kind of colonial war in the area. I could see the British loosing their holdings on the western side of Africa up to Congo, loosing precious replenishing posts. Their might also be a war against the Ottomans, for Tunisia and Libya maybe ? And could they go for Ethiopia too, or for trading towns of the eastern coast of Africa, taking what were historically German colonies ? In any case I'm not sure there would be a Berlin like African colonization conference, and I'm not sure the Belgian king Leopold II would get Congo (but he might well, French and British seeing him as a kind of buffer between two of their holdings, even though there is portuguese Angola for that).
But, hold on a second, would Leopold be the Belgian king ? Yes, probably, for I don't see an increased population from 1800 on to be enough in 1830 to make the Belgian people choose differently than OTL. But it might already be enough for a larger French support to the Belgian independance, with slightly modified (larger) border for Belgian (to the point of getting Luxembourg ? Maastricht ?)

Later on, in the 20th century, the French nation might go to war with the Austro-Prussian confederation in a slugging match where the two are evenly matched on the ground but were the sea supremacy of the alliance, helped by the British, might ultimately lead to a French defeat, with border alterations in Africa or in Asia. Would Japan also ally against France in order to get Korea ? Possibly.

But enough speculations for now, I have to get to work...

Susano

Banned
The reason that German birth rates were higher was simply that Germany "caught up". Germany is climatically worse and was economcially much much worse off than France, so when new agricultrue techniques and industrial development came, the population exploded. OTOH, France never had such a development. Sure, it industrialised, too, but it didnt burst forth from relative poverty to industrialisation, as they already were historically the most prosperous European country.

Grey Wolf

Donor
One assumes that the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars killed a hell of a lot of Frenchmen, thus removing not only themselves from the demographics but also their putative descendants. Additionally no doubt there was a substantial body maimed but alive, but unable to procreate

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Susano

Banned
One assumes that the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars killed a hell of a lot of Frenchmen, thus removing not only themselves from the demographics but also their putative descendants. Additionally no doubt there was a substantial body maimed but alive, but unable to procreate
Of course thats true for Germany, too. Napoleon also drained the manpower pools of his vasalls.

Of course thats true for Germany, too. Napoleon also drained the manpower pools of his vasalls.

But not to the same degree as he drained France.

(And I think the "France was rich enough to lose birthrate first" explanation is the right one.)

France did not fall behind as much as other countries caught up.

France was the prime power of Europe from the end of the 100 years' war until 1940, with a few and short lapses. Indeed, it is still a grand power and has a lot of influence - far more than most people like, actually. They're just way better at being discreet when doing warmongering power politics and forcing their post-colonial interests.

One might say that Agincourt was a blessing in disguise for France - it broke the French nobility as an independent class and eventuella allowed Louis IX and Francis I to do their centralisations.

France was very prosperous and had a high population, far ahead of most other nations. This was due to many reasons.

1. France was rarely invaded, plundered or devastated. Compare to Germany during the 30 years' war.
2. France had relatively good internal communication and internal market. Bad harvets in Bretagne? Coastal shipping, roads, canals and rivers could ship grain from Bordeaux or some other region not affected.
3. The same system allowed the growth of cash crops (wine, oil etc) furthering prosperity.

France was populous, rich and powerful. It remianed such, only on a relative scale did they lose, as the British built a colonial Empire and the Germans stopped having armies marching all over them and starting uniting and building infrastructure.

But France only lost IIRC 1.5 million troops to the Napoleonic Wars. I mean, there was a fair amount more of problem with lame or old soldiers coming home alive and becoming essentially vagrants, so I guess you could call them "dead" in terms of their impact on French demographics (in that they were no longer functioning members of society) but France didn't exactly see a 33% loss like Germany did in the Thirty Years War, not least because the wars were all fought outside of France so it very rarely had to deal with the civilian population being ravaged by invading troops.

One thought - 120m is quite a staggering figure. France is going to reach critical mass and fail to be able to feed itself long before it gets to 120m, especially in pre-modern circumstances.

And a few thoughts on ideas in the OP:

Higher populations in France will lead to greater need to administer them well. This could artificially empower the nobles and weaken the French kings to the detriment, possibly to the collapse, of French centralisation. There were, after all, a handful of French noble revolts seeking either to prevent the king from exercising superior authority over them or on breaking the sovereignty of the king entirely.

It's not like increased population will allow France to flood Europe with troops, either. History shows that perfectly well. France simply couldn't afford to put excessive amounts of troops into the field, not until the advent of levee en masse in the 1800s anyway, and by that point IMO all the butterflies from the POD would have taken effect - the possibility, for instance, of Burgundy managing to form a Kingdom, or Brittany staying nominally independent, and something happening in the south of France which allows for the 1789 rebellion not being able to instantly do away with monarchical authority, and so on. Before that, France simply couldn't afford to put enough troops in the field, and it had a tendency to just use floods of knights first anyway, with Genoese mercenary crossbowmen in support and the weak peasant levy behind. France with the ability to keep its population growing probably won't be able to field more than a couple of thousand more troops anyway - and lets not forget that the king would usually call for an army to be raised to meet a certain size, usually just the right size for the job to prevent unnecessary expenses.

In short, I find myself unable to believe that France would just come to dominate. I think rather they would have to spend several centuries struggling to cope with how top-heavy they'd become.

One thought - 120m is quite a staggering figure. France is going to reach critical mass and fail to be able to feed itself long before it gets to 120m, especially in pre-modern circumstances.

Japan has a considerably smaller land area than France yet has >120 million, so it doesn't seem unreasonable in the modern era, as for maximum levels before that...

France was also quite self-sufficient for calories in the OTL (indeed was a food exporter), had still some underutilized land, and if they captured the eastern coal regions and industrialized they could perhaps go 60% beyond native food production like OTL Britain did...so lets say the 40 million of WW1...plus 5 million for underused land...plus another 10 or so million from land gained by pushing to the Rhine...gives us 50 which we times by 1.66 for imports...90 million sounds pretty reasonable supportable level for WWI, though anything above that will run into serious problems and they'll have to some emigrating or population leveling off.

Note that if MegaFrance sustains itself on food imports it'll be constantly on guard against naval threats...

Japan has a considerably smaller land area than France yet has >120 million, so it doesn't seem unreasonable in the modern era, as for maximum levels before that...

That's a little too arbitrary-increases for me (those calculations). Let's not forget that Japan's population has been rocketing and we're talking about pre-modern conditions here, nor that Japan's population IS beyond sustainable limits, nor that MPs in the UK are currently trying to pass a bill which would put a population cap of 70 million on the UK because this country can't cope with its population either. Also, we need to be projecting France's population long long before WW1. France is going to be at maybe 60 million just by the 1700s, which it can't cope with. At that point, it doesn't have the technology to produce food for that population, and it's by far in excess of those later predictions of x1.66 food production v OTL population. On top of this, I still frankly disbelieve that France could move into the Rhineland, at least before about 1800 (yes, after Louis XIV - I don't think Louis could cope with his population either) because of the massive internal problems the internal growth is going to shoot France in the foot with.

I'd go with the 1800 as the PoD, to trap butterflies as much as possible, an because the Revolutionary era is unstable enough for really odd things to happen. For example, could if a very strong natalist philosophy could be embedded within the society, then you could possibly maintain birthrates for a while by giving social and economic incentives.

That's a little too arbitrary-increases for me (those calculations). Let's not forget that Japan's population has been rocketing and we're talking about pre-modern conditions here, nor that Japan's population IS beyond sustainable limits, nor that MPs in the UK are currently trying to pass a bill which would put a population cap of 70 million on the UK because this country can't cope with its population either. Also, we need to be projecting France's population long long before WW1. France is going to be at maybe 60 million just by the 1700s, which it can't cope with. At that point, it doesn't have the technology to produce food for that population, and it's by far in excess of those later predictions of x1.66 food production v OTL population. On top of this, I still frankly disbelieve that France could move into the Rhineland, at least before about 1800 (yes, after Louis XIV - I don't think Louis could cope with his population either) because of the massive internal problems the internal growth is going to shoot France in the foot with.

Perhaps you didn't catch that the *1.66 was France importing food from abroad, much like OTL Britain imported 40% of its food during the period in question.

Japan managed to sustain higher population levels than France did in the same period even before they modernized, and with less arable land. France can certainly hold more.

The UK politicos proposing restrictions are appealing to anti-immigrant demagoguery, the usefulness of big scary numbers, and their refusal to invest in infrastructure or encourage immigration/growth anywhere but the south-east, rather than the UK not being able to handle that many. And even if it were an accurate number - remember that France is over two and a third times the land area of the UK: if 70 million 'is' our hard limit then one would assume their hard limit to be somewhere in the 120+ range.

If we are to acccept this "wealth causes a reduction in birth rates" then it should be explained. The case for "post industrial society" reducing birth rates seems far more convincing than simply "wealth". I believe this is because of the relative income curve of a worker in a "post industrial society" as compared with an agricultural society or industrial society. In our society, with extended education and limitations on child labour a person can be relatively unproductive untill their 20s, and in terms of accrued debts vs income not break even untill quite late, if ever.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/jan/23/child-care-costs
Not sure how reliable that is, and its the guardian so boo-hiss, but £200,000 per child is evidence of a major expenditure. Will I eventually shell out £200,000 on my parents in return? Its possible over the course of decades but ultimately unlikely unless I become very rich indeed. Children in our society are thus a very expensive net loss. To some extent this is always the case, but I certainly think in older societies the cost of the child was less and they began paying their way significantly earlier.

To further attack the claim I personally don't think there is evidence to justify the belief that the average French peasant (or proto-proletariat) was "richer" in a meaningful way in the nineteenth century than his British or German counterpart. Perhaps others can throw some data down to try and make the case but it would be news to me. Certainly in terms of raw national wealth Britain buried everyone else and yet her population rose from about 13 million or so at the end of the Napoleonic wars to nearly 42 million at the outset of World War One. Germany's population, once unified, and arguably surging ahead in terms of industrial output and hence wealth, rose from 41 million in 1871 and 67 million at the onset of World War One. Ofcourse you might respond that the proletariatization of the British and German peasants had the effect of making them "poorer" than they were before, and a greater proportion of French peasants avoided this process, but even this is somewhat debatable.

Now if the economics doesn't hold up we could say the reason is ideological, that is to say in some sense cultural, but that simply changes the question to "why did the French believe they should have less children?". I can think of a variety of reasons, but for the most part they point to the relative poverty in France rather than relative wealth. Or more accurately the apparently limited opportunities to really make money, which encourages a certain conservativism regarding property and hence a conservative arrangement of only having so many children in order to see that property remains undiminished. As some evidence for this you merely have to look at how popular Government bonds, with their fixed and thus reliable incomes, and other assorted payments, were in France as compared with private investments when compared with Britain or Germany. There is significant evidence to say that such government stock, especially towards the end of the period when France began shelling out money to Russia, were practically unprofitable, and so the invester, while not losing money, gained little or nothing in return. True this rests partly on the fact that such was all lost with the Revolution, I recognise returns could have improved had Russia improved, but while that explains why they did invest the fact remains it wasn't overly profitable.

Is such an expansion of France's population possible? Russia after all rose from approximately 37 million in 1800 to 60 million by 1850 and 110 million by 1900. Now okay, 120 million might be out, but there seems little reason France couldn't biologically have managed a similar growth in population, from say 30 million in 1800 odd, 50-55 million by 1850 and 90-110 million by 1900. Domestic food production might not match this, but if you have sufficient wealth you can buy food from elsewhere.

Will I eventually shell out £200,000 on my parents in return? Its possible over the course of decades but ultimately unlikely unless I become very rich indeed. Children in our society are thus a very expensive net loss. To some extent this is always the case, but I certainly think in older societies the cost of the child was less and they began paying their way significantly earlier.

well, given that you'll pay taxes/social insurance fees or whatever it is called in your homecountry to finance pension schemes £200,000 are not that unlikely over a working life of, let's say, fourty years.

The main difference between today and back then is that these inter-generational finances are organized nationwide nowadays, but were exclusively personal back then: no kids meant nobody would care about you if you're old and sick. Therefore, kids were essentially the only pension scheme available.

Guys

In terms of the low birth rate over such a long period I had read that France has somewhat different inheritance laws than many other countries in Europe. Namely that land is split between all the sons, something which I think was strengthened in Napoleon's time. As such farms streadily decrease in size if population increases, while the fact that each son has a stake in the land so less incentive to find other work. Have heard that this tended to weaken industrisation in France as people were less willing to migrate to the towns as labourers.

Putting a comparison here chiefly with Britain as I know more about that. However not sure if the situation is the same elsewhere in Europe or the idea falls down?

Steve

The reason that German birth rates were higher was simply that Germany "caught up". Germany is climatically worse and was economcially much much worse off than France, so when new agricultrue techniques and industrial development came, the population exploded. OTOH, France never had such a development. Sure, it industrialised, too, but it didnt burst forth from relative poverty to industrialisation, as they already were historically the most prosperous European country.

What I understand you to be saying makes no sense. Germany has worse natural endowments than France, therefore has a higher population? And the "catch-up" hypothesis doesn't hold. If it did, we would have seen the level of population density in Germany converge with that of France, not surpass it twice over.

I suppose your statement can interpreted as saying that Germany had worse natural endowments for the Early Modern period, but better ones - such as coal and iron - for the industrial revolution. But I'm not sure that that has much bearing on the question of French population growth versus that of Germany. Suppose that France had maintained control of the Rhineland following the Napoleonic wars. Would that have a noticable impact on the demographics of territory that was French in OTL?

In answer to the question upthread, I'm not aware of any consensus as to why France experienced relative demographic decline, but I like the idea that it was due to the spread of knowledge of various birth control techniques, accelerated by the Revolution.

Susano

Banned
What I understand you to be saying makes no sense. Germany has worse natural endowments than France, therefore has a higher population?
No, it has a worse climate and hence historically had a lower population. But with new crops (potatoes, mostly) and new agricultural techniques, those difference could be evened, and as a result German population grew. Now, yes, Germany did not only caught up to but surpass France, but the reason for that is probably, as had been said here by others, that the average prosperity of the French was in early modern ages and even in the first half of the 19th century still higher than that of the Germans, so the normal effects of wealth, like lower birthrates, kicked in. Really, the recently reunited Germany in the 1870s and 1880s had a lot in common with China nowadays - a real explosion of wealth carried (among other things) by low labour costs. So before it was very much worse off than France, and afterwards better.

The shift to lower birth rates in industrialized societies comes from the devaluation of physical human labor in competition with other sources of energy. When surplus value was generated from physical labour it made sense to have as many workers as you could feed. When this labor becomes less valuable because other sources of energy are being harvested, birth rates decline. Prior to this populations were generally stretched to the extent that local agriculture, however imperfect, would allow. This was true in France as well, as there was widespread starvation before and during the revolution.

French agriculture had been at a relatively sophisticated level compared to the rest of Europe since Roman times, and they also had a large common market with relatively few barriers throughout their history. This allowed them to maintain a much larger population than Germany, for example, during earlier periods. The population explosion of Germany was, as was said before, a result of them catching up to the agricultural and later industrial standards of the rest of Europe. In Britain's case their population was definitely helped by the wealth generated from their empire.

If you make France come out on top of the colonial game they might be able to support a larger population on the basis of their wealth.

As far as comparisons with Japan go, you have to keep in mind that Japan is a bit farther South than France, and is able to make more extensive use of fisheries and rice agriculture.