WI Fernando el Católico was King of Castile on his own right

IOTL Ferdinand II of Aragon became King of Castile iure uxoris as husband of Isabel of Castile, but as descendant of Juan I of Castile he was himself high in succession line, just behind Isabel and their children. So lets say that following changes happen-la Beltraneja dies as kid, while Isabel (now undisputed heiress of her brother Enrique) still marries Fernando like IOTL, but dies giving birth to their first child in 1470. That leaves Fernando's father Juan II of Aragon as closest legitimate relative of Enrique IV. My question is-would Juan, who is in his 70s, claim Castilian throne for himself, or would he leave it for his son and successor? Even if former happens Juan would not reign long anyway, so we'd see Fernando rulling Castile on his own right for few decades. Considering the fact, that he seemed saner than his wife, how would Castile looks like under his rule? Torqemada not rising to OTL position seems obvious, but what else would change? What about fate of Granada or Christopher Columbus?

The first thing that came to mind was that, without Cisneros as confessor to the Queen (unless he too rose up with Ferdinand, but that seems less likely) then it's possible the expulsion of the Jews, the forced conversion of Moriscos wouldn't happen, and the reforms he did against corruption within the Church wouldn't exist, making Spain vulnerable to Protestantism.

In fact, considering how one of his accomplishments was ending the practice of concubinage that was widespread among the clergy, and how, in protest to this, hundreds of monks left for Africa and converted to Islam, I can see another reformer coming 20 years later resulting in those monks instead embracing Protestantism.

IOTL Ferdinand II of Aragon became King of Castile iure uxoris as husband of Isabel of Castile, but as descendant of Juan I of Castile he was himself high in succession line, just behind Isabel and their children. So lets say that following changes happen-la Beltraneja dies as kid, while Isabel (now undisputed heiress of her brother Enrique) still marries Fernando like IOTL, but dies giving birth to their first child in 1470. That leaves Fernando's father Juan II of Aragon as closest legitimate relative of Enrique IV. My question is-would Juan, who is in his 70s, claim Castilian throne for himself, or would he leave it for his son and successor? Even if former happens Juan would not reign long anyway, so we'd see Fernando rulling Castile on his own right for few decades. Considering the fact, that he seemed saner than his wife, how would Castile looks like under his rule? Torqemada not rising to OTL position seems obvious, but what else would change? What about fate of Granada or Christopher Columbus?
Granada‘s conquest would still be much likely. I guess this Ferdinand would remarry either to Isabella’s namesake cousin (younger sister of the Princess of Portugal) or to Joana of Portugal.
The first thing that came to mind was that, without Cisneros as confessor to the Queen (unless he too rose up with Ferdinand, but that seems less likely) then it's possible the expulsion of the Jews, the forced conversion of Moriscos wouldn't happen, and the reforms he did against corruption within the Church wouldn't exist, making Spain vulnerable to Protestantism.

In fact, considering how one of his accomplishments was ending the practice of concubinage that was widespread among the clergy, and how, in protest to this, hundreds of monks left for Africa and converted to Islam, I can see another reformer coming 20 years later resulting in those monks instead embracing Protestantism.
pretty likely. I can not see Cisneros rising high as OTL without the devoted Isabella to which whisper (but if Ferdinand remarried to the very religious Joana of Portugal, I can see Cisneros still becoming the influential confessor of the Queen)

Granada‘s conquest would still be much likely. I guess this Ferdinand would remarry either to Isabella’s namesake cousin (younger sister of the Princess of Portugal) or to Joana of Portugal.

pretty likely. I can not see Cisneros rising high as OTL without the devoted Isabella to which whisper (but if Ferdinand remarried to the very religious Joana of Portugal, I can see Cisneros still becoming the influential confessor of the Queen)

Looking into it, I'm guessing Joanna, since he is said to have proposed to her after Isabella died, and it would tie the various succession threads, keeping people from bothering his claim later.

I also agree Grenada would likely fall, since Ferdinand would need a war to tie his new Spain together, and ending the Reconquista certainly helps.

Looking into it, I'm guessing Joanna, since he is said to have proposed to her after Isabella died, and it would tie the various succession threads, keeping people from bothering his claim later.

I also agree Grenada would likely fall, since Ferdinand would need a war to tie his new Spain together, and ending the Reconquista certainly helps.
Looking at the dates yes Joana is more likely, if she can be persuaded to marry, as she was 18 years old while Isabella of Viseu only 11 years old but if getting the first is impossible, Isabella of Viseu is a good alternative if Ferdinand can wait

Reading on Columbus, it seems Ferdinand was actually the one who favoured sponsoring his travels, so I'd say he will probably still support him. Though the timing might change, which could affect things, I suppose. Either a more interested Ferdinand might sponsor him sooner, starting in 1486, or, if Isabella not being there means the Granada War lasts longer, which could delay his travel a bit longer (not more than a few years, though).

Although the potential of a Protestant Spain still seems the most interesting potential consequence.

What about different version: Isabella suffers miscarriage in 1479, so Joanna the Mad is never born and Isabel is unable to have more kids. Thus Isabella and John are her only surviving kids and their fate is similar to OTL. So by the time of Isabella's death she'd have no living progeny and Ferdinand would be her successor. And if Ferdinand still has no issue from second marriage (with whom?) then Duke of Segorbe would have the best claim to Aragon, while Catherine of Navarre would have best claim to Castile (although if Segorbe succeedes in Aragon I think Catherine's distant claim would be ignored).

The War of the Castilian Succession probably won't happen. If there's no Castilian infanta around for Alfonso V of Portugal to marry to press home a claim for the Castilian throne, Alfonso would't start a war against Fernando backed up by his father. Without a war, Fernando is able to cement his authority in Castile right away.

It's difficult for me to generally support a lot of very close consanguinity marriages, but does Fernando to his half-niece Jeanne de Foix make sense? He is only 2 years older than her, and should the lines of her older brothers Gaston, Pierre (who entered the church), and John fail, Jeanne would possess the next senior claim to Navarre, bringing Navarre back under the Trastámara.

Otherwise, the Portuguese marriages make the most sense in a more broadly political sense.

What about different version: Isabella suffers miscarriage in 1479, so Joanna the Mad is never born and Isabel is unable to have more kids. Thus Isabella and John are her only surviving kids and their fate is similar to OTL. So by the time of Isabella's death she'd have no living progeny and Ferdinand would be her successor. And if Ferdinand still has no issue from second marriage (with whom?) then Duke of Segorbe would have the best claim to Aragon, while Catherine of Navarre would have best claim to Castile (although if Segorbe succeedes in Aragon I think Catherine's distant claim would be ignored).
Pretty likely Catherine’s son would be Fernando’s successor in all three kingdom, but is likely who Isabella would die earlier ATL and he would remarry as soon she is dead for securing his crown, but I have no idea of who would be available for him around 1500

The War of the Castilian Succession probably won't happen. If there's no Castilian infanta around for Alfonso V of Portugal to marry to press home a claim for the Castilian throne, Alfonso would't start a war against Fernando backed up by his father. Without a war, Fernando is able to cement his authority in Castile right away.

It's difficult for me to generally support a lot of very close consanguinity marriages, but does Fernando to his half-niece Jeanne de Foix make sense? He is only 2 years older than her, and should the lines of her older brothers Gaston, Pierre (who entered the church), and John fail, Jeanne would possess the next senior claim to Navarre, bringing Navarre back under the Trastámara.

Otherwise, the Portuguese marriages make the most sense in a more broadly political sense.
That is why when you take away the Habsburgs, Avis and their descendants via ASB means, the Bourbons will be the successors