WI: Felipe II of Spain dies in 1586?

An old thread that I found which is a pretty interesting POD:

While doing some research about the late reign of Philip II of Spain I've found this information from a review of El Marqués de Velada y la Corte en los Reinados de Felipe II y Felipe III, by Santiago Martínez Hernández. It's about the travel made by Philip II to Aragon to bid farewell to his daughter Catherine after her marriage to the Duke of Savoy:

"...Philip and his court were away from Madrid from January 1586 until March 1586 ... The jornada de Aragón had traumatic consequences for the king himself, for while Philip II was in the mountains of Aragon he suffered a grave illness that all but killed him, and he never again enjoyed robust health. In his growing debility he was obliged to rely increasingly upon his inner circle of ministers..."

So, WI Philip had died while in the mountains of Aragon? Philip III is still a child, so a regency happens, but who would rule? There is Philip's daughter Isabel, but would his ministers accept that? How would Philip's death affect the Armada (how it still happen)?

@Gonzaga

My first thought was Don Juan, but he is dead by 1578. So yeah...Isabel? But Isabel is only 18 so she might be a hard sell. Perhaps she could marry one of Philip III's maternal uncles, who are also her cousins and right behind the children of Philip II in line for the Spanish throne, and they could be joint regents. Though again I'm not sure if the Spanish nobility would approve.

My first thought was Don Juan, but he is dead by 1578. So yeah...Isabel? But Isabel is only 18 so she might be a hard sell. Perhaps she could marry one of Philip III's maternal uncles, who are also her cousins and right behind the children of Philip II in line for the Spanish throne, and they could be joint regents. Though again I'm not sure if the Spanish nobility would approve.

Why WOULDN'T she be allowed to marry her cousin? Probably just Ernst instead of Rudolf II.

By the 1580s I doubt the Spanish nobility has much in the way of influence in deciding who Isabel gets to marry. Much less that there would be any native candidates acceptable to everybody

Why WOULDN'T she be allowed to marry her cousin? Probably just Ernst instead of Rudolf II.

By the 1580s I doubt the Spanish nobility has much in the way of influence in deciding who Isabel gets to marry. Much less that there would be any native candidates acceptable to everybody
Well yes, Ernst would be the obvious candidate for her hand if Rudolf is uninterested. And I was more unsure if the Spanish nobility would approve in regards to a regency by Isabel and her husband, rather than anything to do with their marriage itself.

And I was more unsure if the Spanish nobility would approve in regards to a regency by Isabel and her husband, rather than anything to do with their marriage itself.

They'd probably insist on Isabel holding the regency herself, no? Mean her grandmother (Empress Isabella) and her aunt, Juana, had both held regencies of Spain, proving that a woman was more than capable of doing so.

Would this prompt Elizabeth to take the leap and accept sovereignity over the Netherlands? Of course to make it a success a greater and - more importantly- competent English intervention will be needed.

Would this prompt Elizabeth to take the leap and accept sovereignity over the Netherlands? Of course to make it a success a greater and - more importantly- competent English intervention will be needed.

This could be an interesting butterfly, since the question of succession in the Netherlands (is it in union with England or is it a PU with Elizabeth as ruler and when she dies, someone else gets it) is likely to be no less fraught than in England.

More competent? Dudly was a favourite of the queen. I think it is likely that His Incompetentness will still be sent to the Netherlands, even if a greater intervention force is sent.

More competent? Dudly was a favourite of the queen. I think it is likely that His Incompetentness will still be sent to the Netherlands, even if a greater intervention force is sent.
I agree, Dudley is the most likely to be send and the one who will probably screw it up in any scenario. Might lead to some interesting knock on effects though.

I agree, Dudley is the most likely to be send and the one who will probably screw it up in any scenario. Might lead to some interesting knock on effects though.
The most important thing Dudley accomplished was to unify the divided provinces to get rid of him as quickly as possible.

Which was important, since the division between the provinces was becoming a problem.

Speaking of "independence" movements, would Felipe II only having been king of Portugal for a few years here mean that Antonio, Prior of Crato tries to go for the crown again? OTL, he didn't, but OTL, Felipe lived nearly another 20 years to solidify the Iberian Union. Here, Felipe has less time, and his successor is both sickly and 9 years old. While it was commonly accepted that Felipe II's claim to Portugal was weak (through his mother who was a sister of the last king), would the half-Austrian Felipe III/Filipe II be able to hang on as securely. Especially since the last child king Portugal had died without issue. Not to mention that Isabel Clara Eugenia's claim to the Portuguese throne would be even weaker, so if something were to happen to her half-brother, would/could Portugal refuse to acknowledge her as queen?

Any thoughts on how Isabel Clara Eugenia (as regent) would approach the French Succession Crisis in 1589, since I very much doubt that much will alter between 1586 and 1589 that will allow Henri III to avoid being assassinated. Even if he isn't assassinated, he could still be killed during one of the battles of the War of the Three Henries.