WI: Extended New England secession in 2016?

The premise is simple enough. What do you think would have happened had Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey seceded from the United States in November 2016 and formed their own republic? More specifically, how would their new government most likely have been established, and what would the US reaction to it have been?

It depends on how and why it happens. If there was a significant majority in a referendum conducted under strict guidelines, I do not think troops would be used except to secure US federal property. Obviously that leads to a Ft Sumter rehash. If it's a unipartisan disgruntled legislature that acts of its own accord, then likely their own citizens would revolt.

Eight former Lieutenant Governors wake up wondering what the hell is going on and why their predecessors, especially Paul LePage, went completely bonkers.

The premise is simple enough. What do you think would have happened had Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey seceded from the United States in November 2016 and formed their own republic? More specifically, how would their new government most likely have been established, and what would the US reaction to it have been?

I'm sure Governors Christie and LePage are going to call secession conventions over the election of Trump :p

(This topic combines ASB and current politics in one package...)

Short of a pretty good explanation, this is an ASB matter.

Yeah, I mean, the most liberal parts of New England are university towns, whose economies are propped up in large part by the influx of students from outside the region. I hardly think that either the staff at Harvard or the citizens of Cambridge, for example, are just gonna wake up one morning and demand total independence from the rest of the USA, without at first debating what to do about being cut off from their main source of revenue. (Even international students would probably have to be put on hold, as the new country goes about setting up its own immigration department etc.)

Agreed on ASB without a significant POD. Now, if Trump banned Dunkin Donuts and corned-beef, then we'd have a real issue on our hands!