WI Executive Outcomes hadn't gotten involved in Sierra Leone?

Is that EO stay out or ALL PMCs stay out?
If it's just EO then there's a good chance another would have stepped in instead - Sandline for example.

If it's that all PMCs stay away then I'd expect it to rumble along in a similar style to Rwanda until a government, probably the British, French or Belgian government, step in and try seperating the sides and sorting the mess out.

EO and Sandline did a lot of good, but it really needed a legitimate government to step in.

IIRC there wouldn't have been a direction, the RUF would of won. At the time the government forces were mostly rubbish having little training or logistical support, the various ECOMOG battalions neighbouring countries had sent weren't able to do anything - and in many instances were apparently making financial deals with the RUF under the table, the RUF controlled the diamond mine areas in the east of the country so they were funded whilst the government conversely wasn't, and they had basically surrounded the capital and were pushing in towards Freetown.

From what I've read it was Executive Outcomes flying in a couple of BMPs and a Mi-24 Hind that apparently managed to push the rebels back from the city and give people the opportunity to re-group. From that point they seem to of run a two prong operation, one half acting as a training force to help train up the government soldiers, the other using the Mi-24 gunships and Mi-8 transports for logistics to support a ground force that directly fought and pushed back the rebels with the captured territory then being garrisoned by newly trained government troops. Considering what murderous loons the RUF were and how quickly, and cheaply compared to what many international peacekeeping operations cost, Executive Outcomes was able to turn things around this is one of the few standout instances that Private Military Companies can point to as a really good operation. They beat the rebels militarily and forced them to come to the negotiating table in roughly 18 months.