WI Eisenhower stays in military and oversees the Korean War

Exactly what it says on the tin. What if Dwight D Eisenhower, rather than go into politics, opted to remain a general and then somehow ended up in MacArthur's place during the Korean War (maybe Douglas goes into politics early)

My guess is that he handles the situation better than MacArthur did, but at the same time, many of the great early maneuvers like Incheon were thought up by Douglas, so I get the feeling it could be slower. I could also see a more successful Korean War (Maybe Ike stops at the DMZ or at the Chinese demarcation line, but idk what he would have done in that situation) potentially getting Truman a third term. But what do you all think?

marktaha

Banned
Surely with Ike's prestige...can see him fighting war as first poster suggested, even still accepting nomination to stop Taft.

Ike would be too senior. He would be Chief of Staff/Chairman of JCS if he was still in the military at the time.

I'd probably agree that Mark Clark would be the pick.

Ike would be too senior. He would be Chief of Staff/Chairman of JCS if he was still in the military at the time.

I'd probably agree that Mark Clark would be the pick.
But doesn't senior mean he can do want he wants? Nothing stopping him from going back to field command, "It's a mess, best sort it myself."

Try this from a completely different angle. In September 1950, George C Marshall is confirmed as Secretary of Defense, replacing the disastrous Louis B Johnson. Eisenhower is still President of Columbia University, but is not popular as he is frequently absent on quasi military duties as an advisor to the newly created Department. He resigned and became CinC of NATO at Marshall's request in December 1950.

Assume instead Marshall decides MacArthur will be overstretched as both Overlord of Japan and chief prosecutor of the war in Korea. Marshall then separates Korea from MacArthur's sphere, and appoints Eisenhower, with his arrival in country in early October. So yes, seniority does matter, under the right circumstances.

Eisenhower would have far better intelligence services and far less yes men working for him, so that would be a boost for Korea.

At the same time, if Macarthur kept command over Japan, he would actively sabotage Eisenhower out of pettiness and arrogance.

Exactly! Which is why I ( and I hope Marshall would too) separated Korea from MacArthur's command authority.
No I'm saying that if Mac stays in Japan he can still sabotage Eisenhower. Korea during the war relied heavily on Japan as a logistics hub. Mac in otl moved staff around in the Pacific and horded much of the talent in Japan and more or less ignored Korea until the war broke out.

Keeping Mac in Japan will sabotage Eisenhower

No I'm saying that if Mac stays in Japan he can still sabotage Eisenhower. Korea during the war relied heavily on Japan as a logistics hub. Mac in otl moved staff around in the Pacific and horded much of the talent in Japan and more or less ignored Korea until the war broke out.

Disagree. With the throughput system of US Logistics Japan is a transit point, not a destination. A Joint Force Commander has no authority on his own to divert personnel, material, ammunition or other supplies from another Joint Force Commander. To do so would bring relief of MacArthur even more quickly than say... opining on the use of atomic weapons?

What if MacArthur is in the White House? Like MacArthur runs and wins in 48 would that help?