WI: Effects on Indian Cricket if a different Partition in the 40s?

Deleted member 94680

With the various cricket threads recently, I've had a thought...

With a different partition of India in the post-WWII era (I’ve bodged a quick map together below) what would be the effect on Indian cricket?
1-FFEE6-B2-44-E2-42-FC-ABE1-03-FACDF47470.jpg

Would the various Indian teams be weaker, would one of them have a broadly similar history to India OTL, or would it even kill off international cricket for the subcontinent?

These borders are extremely implausible, if not downright ASB. The independence movement was a pan-India movement and ethnicity didn't matter to most of the westernised elite and middle class. Even if it did, these borders indicate nothing more than administrative boundaries, Bengal for example has Bihar, Assam and half of Odisha within it. These are extremely different cultures. Several ethnicities are arbitrarily divided into different countries, while others are awkwardly joined together.

Deleted member 94680

...snip...
The map is meant to be based on Britain dividing the Raj up into weaker states to try and retain influence. Apologies, but the names were meant to indicate that. A united Punjab and Kashmir as well.

Granted they’re unlikely based on a nothing else changes approach, but ASB is pushing it IMHO.

Any ideas on the effects on cricket?

The map is meant to be based on Britain dividing the Raj up into weaker states to try and retain influence. Apologies, but the names were meant to indicate that. A united Punjab and Kashmir as well.
They might do that, but states such as Bombay or Madras are artificial administrative divisions

Granted they’re unlikely based on a nothing else changes approach, but ASB is pushing it IMHO.

Any ideas on the effects on cricket?
You're gonna be shocked to hear about the divisions of Africa and the Middle East.
It would be shocking

Deleted member 107125

With the various cricket threads recently, I've had a thought...

With a different partition of India in the post-WWII era (I’ve bodged a quick map together below) what would be the effect on Indian cricket?
1-FFEE6-B2-44-E2-42-FC-ABE1-03-FACDF47470.jpg

Would the various Indian teams be weaker, would one of them have a broadly similar history to India OTL, or would it even kill off international cricket for the subcontinent?
Where did you get these borders from? It’s absolutely ludicrous. From Sind and Balochistan owning the NWFP (or even existing in the first place), to the Madras and Bengal provinces surviving to “Central India” and Bombay owning way too much.

Deleted member 94680

For one, no MI-CSK rivalry, unless we somehow get a pan-Indian cricket league (which could happen)
Ooh I like the sound of a Pan-Indian League.

The PIL instead of the IPL anyone?

But would a pan-Indian league founded early enough lead to a United India international team? Kind of how the West Indies are one team but separate countries?

But would a pan-Indian league founded early enough lead to a United India international team? Kind of how the West Indies are one team but separate countries?
It's doable ig, but the West Indies are relatively small compared to this India. And this India has some very strange borders to begin with. Change the borders a bit and yeah, it could work out.

What do the borders have to do with it?
Well, for one, the borders divide India for no clear reason. You have Kannadigas divided into 3 states, the Tamils and Telugus combined into one (which I expect will go the OTL way) and so on. So there would be more animosity between the ethnic groups and the states themselves, preventing the formation of any pan Indian league.

Deleted member 94680

Well, for one, the borders divide India for no clear reason. You have Kannadigas divided into 3 states, the Tamils and Telugus combined into one (which I expect will go the OTL way) and so on. So there would be more animosity between the ethnic groups and the states themselves, preventing the formation of any pan Indian league.
Fair enough.