WI - Ecuador sell the Galapagos Islands to Chile in the late 1800's.

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by damein fisher, Oct 19, 2018.

1. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

Throughout the 19th century, Ecuador tried to pawn off the Galapagos Islands, as they were expensive to maintain, and poorly populated. There were attempts to sell these islands to France, and the US, and the UK came very close to leasing the islands, but nothing came out of these attempts.

What if sometime after the war of the pacific, Ecuador sells the Islands to Chile? What would be the effects?

Ameroboto and Lenwe like this.
  2. Dingus Khan Emperor of Nowhere

If Chile got the Galapagos Islands, I wonder if they would still try to annex Rapa Nui (Easter Island)?

Lenwe likes this.
  3. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

Depends on when it is sold, Easter Island was annexed in 1888 and it wasn't a hard endeavor, so I think they likely will still annex the island

Lenwe likes this.
  4. Bobbbcat2 King of South Georgia

This is from the Wikipedia page for the Galápagos:

“Besides the United States, Japan, Germany and Chile also expressed interest in establishing bases in the islands at the turn of the century. Chile had previously acquired the Straits of Magellan and Easter Island for strategic reasons and lieutenant Gregorio Santa Cruz argued in 1903 that possessing an island in equatorial waters, like the Galápagos, would be of great benefit since the geopolitical situation of Chile was expected to drastically change when the Panama Canal opened. Another benefit would be to widen the security radius of Chile.”

As for how the Galápagos would develop? I imagine they would be a backwater with a few bases, at least until tourism comes and more people begin to move there.

Lenwe and damein fisher like this.
  5. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

Interesting, I did not know that the Chilean government actually had plans to buy them.