WI: East Pakistan decides to join India

What happens if shortly after the Liberation War the former province of East Pakistan decides to apply to join the Union of India in gratitude for India's help? And India agrees? How is India effected?

Even if Bangladesh would want join to India, would India want new Muslim majority state?
My understanding is that East Pakistan would simply be merged with West Bengal to form a single Bengal state, provided this did happen.

My understanding is that East Pakistan would simply be merged with West Bengal to form a single Bengal state, provided this did happen.

Not sure if people of Bangladesh would accept that. And even still there would be even bigger Muslim minority in India.

This would nearly double India’s Muslim population, raising it to roughly 30% of India’s total population.

No chance of this happening whatsoever.

Not sure if people of Bangladesh would accept that. And even still there would be even bigger Muslim minority in India.
in 1971 there was 68 million in Bangladesh. Dunno about West Bengal at the time.
In any case, it's quite possible (or even likely) Bengal would be split again due to the sheer population later on...

I did seriously weigh putting this in the ASB subforum but chose not to. I figured it wasn't strictly ASB in the traditional sense...and it'd be interesting to ponder what effects a Eastern Bengal within India would have (including some really obvious ones with major consequences, like reducing the importance of the Siliguri Corridor).

Last edited:
I think Bangladesh will come as a sovereign state like Kashmir before abrogation of 370, also it will stabilise the Hindu Muslim relationship in India, but India will have more direct access to eastern Seven sisters, but the relationship between India and western and Eastern world be destroyed for next decade. also, the Bengal and Bangladesh will be never united to make the new state.
or it will fail horribly and India will cant suppress separatism in Bangladesh and will lose his eastern part totally.
both can happen.

I think Bangladesh will come as a sovereign state like Kashmir before abrogation of 370, also it will stabilise the Hindu Muslim relationship in India, but India will have more direct access to eastern Seven sisters, but the relationship between India and western and Eastern world be destroyed for next decade. also, the Bengal and Bangladesh will be never united to make the new state.
or it will fail horribly and India will cant suppress separatism in Bangladesh and will lose his eastern part totally.
both can happen.
high-risk high-reward essentially?

how much of the Lok Sabha would they be entitled under 1971 population figures, at the time? in terms of seat number and %.
what would the magnitude of the sway of these seats? would the Awami League be a crucial kingmaker?

Last edited:

Khanzeer

Banned
Wasn't the partition of bengal in 1911 done specifically to avoid being under the heel of Calcutta?.
Makes little sense, and india cannot accommodate so many refugees either