WI: Draka Film Series by Zack Snyder

Looking at the gritty and dark style of his films, such as 300, Watchmen, and also Batman vs Superman, what would it be like if SM Stirling's Draka series, particularly Marching through Georgia and Under the Yoke, got big screen adaptation by him?
Would it be faithful to the book or give some differences?

Completely hypothetical scenario :D

Draka-Attack.jpg

The odds that the Drakaverse, after Final Countdown, would be the first Alternative History movies is pretty high.

Drakaverse would be far too graphically violent if they weren't careful. I suppose the worst excesses could take place off screen, or we could see the characters' reactions. Would Hollywood ever go for something so dystopic?

Regards

R

Can Hollwood even make a movie where people would actually be cheering for the Nazi's?

(Its kind of like rooting for satan in the Amityville films, well the second one anyway)

Looking at the gritty and dark style of his films, such as 300, Watchmen, and also Batman vs Superman, what would it be like if SM Stirling's Draka series, particularly Marching through Georgia and Under the Yoke, got big screen adaptation by him?
Would it be faithful to the book or give some differences?

Completely hypothetical scenario :D

Draka-Attack.jpg
I'd go see it. Despite the TL being virtually impossible, I enjoyed the Domination series.
Though I probably couldn't handle Under the Yoke.:eek:

Its too esoteric and dark to be a feature length blockbuster. It'd be better off as a TV series. Or better yet, an anime.

Mr. Flay

Gone Fishin'
Presumably, Snyder would show a cold opening at the beginning, set in Paris in 1783, and having somebody (maybe Vergennes?) give an exposition-heavy speech about how Britain won the Cape Colony from the Dutch, and that the Loyalists would be resettled there. As a bonus, he also mentions the eruption of Laki, and that a lot of Icelanders will also need to be relocated to the same area. Cue Hans Zimmer orchestra as a wide panning shot of a fleet of ships sailing to the Cape is shown, with some pictures of chained black people on said ships for the purposes of drama and foreshadowing.

The hard part comes in showing the intervening 158 years, to make sure that the audience is fully aware of things like the Dominion/Domination's taking on French and Southern US settlers, the purchase/capture of Portuguese and British colonies for fast expansion, and the rapid technological advancement brought on by free research grants.

So, yeah, I agree with Swiffness, a TV series would probably be better.

Last edited:
A mini series would be an excellent idea. The beginning of each episode could be exposition / background like the novels. The dvd extras would be all the back story stuff stirling puts in his appendices