WI: DC Comics and Marvel Comics Merge?

While I do profess ignorance in regards to comic book industry's history, I think that this concept is a rather interesting thought experiment. What would it take for DC Comics and Marvel Comics to have merged sometime in the past? Perhaps the '70s turns out even worse for both companies than it did in OTL?

An even more interesting question is who would rise up to challenge such a union, industry-wise...

When DC(National Comics) was distributing Marvel's comics in the early 60's might be a good time for them to come together. I don't think you can have a merger though, one is going to have to take over the other. If it's earlier, then DC buys out Marvel. If it's later, Marvel might be in the shape to buy out DC. This does bring up a good idea about this new company being a monopoly. One company controlling 90% of the market, and after Diamond comes around they control almost all of the direct market distribution.

When DC(National Comics) was distributing Marvel's comics in the early 60's might be a good time for them to come together. I don't think you can have a merger though, one is going to have to take over the other. If it's earlier, then DC buys out Marvel. If it's later, Marvel might be in the shape to buy out DC. This does bring up a good idea about this new company being a monopoly. One company controlling 90% of the market, and after Diamond comes around they control almost all of the direct market distribution.
Hm, perhaps I worded myself badly then. I meant to simply suggest that DC Comics and Marvel Comics come together at some point (i.e. being able to share each other's intellectual properties, etc.) with one another. It really doesn't matter to me which company, in this thought experiment, buys out which. How might each company deal with its new acquisitions in such a situation, though? I'd think that their original properties would probably be still given more lime-light, but they might want to highlight all the new heroes they just acquired.

Perhaps an earlier analog (no matter who buys up whom) in this TL of Crisis on Infinite Earths to help either company explain the two 'universes' coming together?

It still remains thew legal sticking point that whether by coalition or by corporate merger, that a DC/Marvel Alliance would be seen as a "legal monopoly", controlling c. 90% of the market. Based on what year the merger or alliance took place, there would certainly be action taken by the U.S. Justice Department.

At this point, it is pretty certain that the smaller companies like Archie Comics, Dark Horse Comics, et al. would certainly demand assistance from the federal government against the possibility of "monopolistic pricing"....

Lord knows I forget when, but I think during the 70s or so during Marvel's height DC was willing to sell all of its heroes except Bats and Supe.

Without those two, the deal died...but imagine, all of them under one universe during the Bronze Age. Excuse me drooling at the thought!