WI: David Hasselhoff died in 1989 at the Berlin Wall

Not everyone here may know this but, funnily enough the Hoff had a huge impact on German culture. I mean hes basically a music star over there.

mainly from this concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zXiClnK8oE

This happened in 1989 at the Berlin Wall and it was a huge celebration of freedom to the point that even today ethnic Germans who only speak German, from this time, can actually sing it in english. This wasnt even the first time he was there, he was even there when the wall was first being torn down and had a surprise concert.

Now going back to the video, watch for about 10 seconds from here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zXiClnK8oE&feature=youtu.be&t=198

As you'll see if you watch it there is a firework that comes extremely close to hitting Hasselhoff, so my question to you is, how do you think history would've been altered if he had been hit by that firework?

Shawn Weatherley gets Mitch Buchanan's place in "Baywatch" instead of her character already being killed in the first season. :D

Shawn Weatherley gets Mitch Buchanan's place in "Baywatch" instead of her character already being killed in the first season. :D
I would say Parker Stevenson gets Mitch Buchanan's place while Weatherly gets Craig Pomeroy's (Stevenson's character).

Perhaps Hasselhoff's leather jacket becomes universally popular because he was wearing it when he got accidentally killed and now we'll be using them :D

I think the bigger question is how and WHY you came across that video?!?!? :p

Are you a fan of the Hoff's music? ;)

I think the bigger question is how and WHY you came across that video?!?!? :p

Are you a fan of the Hoff's music? ;)

Its actually a pretty boring story lol. Im currently in college and taking a history class and my professor has his degree in german culture and since were currently learning about the end of the cold war he made this video a part of his lecture today, specifically pointing out the firework as well and how it came so close to him, giving me the idea for this wi

Its actually a pretty boring story lol. Im currently in college and taking a history class and my professor has his degree in german culture and since were currently learning about the end of the cold war he made this video a part of his lecture today, specifically pointing out the firework as well and how it came so close to him, giving me the idea for this wi

Cool. I was on a high school trip to West Berlin in early 1990. I rented a hammer and chisel from an enterprising local for 10 marks and hacked some chunks out of the wall right near the Reichstag. The atmosphere was crazy...

We happened to go back the next day and the section of wall we visited was gone.

Not everyone here may know this but, funnily enough the Hoff had a huge impact on German culture. I mean hes basically a music star over there.
That is largely a myth. I mean he was really popular here among some target groups, but so was he in America. What made his Germans success so remarkable from an American POV is the shifted timing. For example Knight Rider only premiered in Germany in 86 after it had ended in the USA. With that still recent fame he was able to engineer a very successful - and with the fall of the Berlin wall lucky - promotion of a single (btw a remake of an in Germany already moderately successful song) which before had only limited success in Germany. Afterwards it became a hit, but as Lee Majors said, everyone can do that in Germany. And directly thereafter came Baywatch, which thanks to the dubbing lacked the interuption of the original and was heavily promoted by youth magazine Bravo (since it fit their sale concept of G-rated sexuality perfectly).

Add to that the beginning spread of the internet in the later days of his fame and with the honestly fairly impressive pictures of 89 it was easy for that meme to develop. And when it came back here from the US it was initially mainly greeted with confusion. Although since then it has been sort of adopted in an ironic way.