WI: Coolidge Runs in 1928

I have a slightly different idea to piggy back of all this: his son doesn’t die while in office, and Cal has a slightly more engaged presidency, but Cal still doesn’t run in 1928.

Either the Dems win in 1928 freeing Cal to run in 1932 or he is convinced to run against Hoover in the primary. With a slightly happier life, Coolidge doesn’t die at age 60 in 1933, and fills out a full term, but being the staunch traditionalist he is - and already uncomfortable with having served more than 2 terms - makes it clear he won’t be running in 1936 from the get go.

I wouldn’t expect Coolidge to be as interventionist in the economy as Hoover wanted to be, but without the pall of his son’s death hanging over him, he won’t be quite the Silent Cal caricature he was after that event (I’m basing this on Amity Schlaes’ biography of him).

I have a slightly different idea to piggy back of all this: his son doesn’t die while in office, and Cal has a slightly more engaged presidency, but Cal still doesn’t run in 1928.

Either the Dems win in 1928 freeing Cal to run in 1932 or he is convinced to run against Hoover in the primary. With a slightly happier life, Coolidge doesn’t die at age 60 in 1933, and fills out a full term, but being the staunch traditionalist he is - and already uncomfortable with having served more than 2 terms - makes it clear he won’t be running in 1936 from the get go.

I wouldn’t expect Coolidge to be as interventionist in the economy as Hoover wanted to be, but without the pall of his son’s death hanging over him, he won’t be quite the Silent Cal caricature he was after that event (I’m basing this on Amity Schlaes’ biography of him).

I have not read the Shlaes book, but I guess she forgot to mention the part where FDR won the 1932 election with over 57% of the vote and the Republicans were resoundingly defeated in the Congressional elections that year. A Coolidge comeback would not be able to save the GOP, as the Republicans were blamed not only for the Depression but for the lackluster response under Hoover. In fact, Coolidge himself was blamed for the Depression by many Americans who believed that his laissez-faire economic policies laid the groundwork for the crisis in the 1920s.

I have not read the Shlaes book, but I guess she forgot to mention the part where FDR won the 1932 election with over 57% of the vote and the Republicans were resoundingly defeated in the Congressional elections that year. A Coolidge comeback would not be able to save the GOP, as the Republicans were blamed not only for the Depression but for the lackluster response under Hoover. In fact, Coolidge himself was blamed for the Depression by many Americans who believed that his laissez-faire economic policies laid the groundwork for the crisis in the 1920s.

The part I’m basing on her biography is just the general change between his presidency before and after his son’s death.

And my post suggested a scenario in which the Democrats won in ‘28, so they get the blame. DC wasn’t filled with Coolidge-villes, it was filled with Hoover-villes.

The part I’m basing on her biography is just the general change between his presidency before and after his son’s death.

And my post suggested a scenario in which the Democrats won in ‘28, so they get the blame. DC wasn’t filled with Coolidge-villes, it was filled with Hoover-villes.

I wonder how the Democrats could win in 1928. They didn't really have any strong candidates in play that year, maybe Newton Baker? The Republican candidate would need to have a scandal of some sort. Then Coolidge would probably win in 1932.

I am reviving this thread after having listened to the Coolidge episode of the Washington Post Presidential Podcast:

If Coolidge still dies on January 5, 1933, then his VP would be President for two months until a Democrat takes office. Would his running mate be Charles Curtis? If so, then Curtis would be our first (and only) President of Native American descent.