WI Chris Benoit only kills himself?

Just watching Part 2 of the VICE network show Dark Side of the Ring about Chris Benoit.

So, WI Chris Benoit, instead of killing his family before killing himself, just kills himself?

Effects, anyone?

Well he'd probably be a less controversial figure and might've been put in the HOF and the video games. Besides that, I don't know what would've happened

Yeah, he'd be less controversial than OTL. My idea was that, after his fight with Nancy on that Friday night, Chris doesn't kill her, but he realizes what he nearly did (he had realized that he was suffering due to concussions, according to Chris Nowinski's account in the aforementioned Benoit special--Nowinski was also a WWE wrestler whose career was ended by concussions and has led studies in concussions in sports) and kills himself, after leaving an suicide note to Nancy and Daniel.

I wonder if the fact that he suffered from concussions (he had the brain of an 85-year-old man with Alzheimer's due to concussions) would come out in TTL (and using steroids didn't help) and what effects it would have--by this point, several football players had committed suicide due to suffering from CTE (Andre Waters had killed himself after suffering from CTE; Dave Duerson and Junior Seau would both commit suicide due to similar circumstances years later, Duerson in 2011 and Seau in 2012)...

Last edited:
I think Benoit would be seen less controversially going forward. The problem of course is even today, people try to excuse his actions saying he was suffering from steroid use and concussions, as if that was exculpatory. At the very least, two more people are alive.

It is possible that David Benoit may get a shot with WWE some day, as well. The word on that from what I have heard is that there is no blacklist or anything but that it will never happen as long as Vince lives.

Might end up the best of all possible worlds here, as one of the few things to come out of it was that WWE and wrestling actually started to care about the health of there wrestlers after it. If Benoit kills himself and leaves a note blaming it on concussions then that could lead to that without too innocent people being dead.

Speaking as a guy with only passing knowledge of wrestling (but familiar with the tragic tale of Chris Benoit):

Chris would probably remain in the WWE hall of fame, and generally regarded as a great but tragic man who succumbed to one of the uncomfortable realities of wrestling injuries, and would act as an inspiration and a warning to wrestlers. As mentioned, he'd be featured more in merchandising and such, since he won't be so controversial.

He'd be less reviled for, ya know, being a murderer. And the people who want him to be in the Hall of Fame would actually have a point instead of just being dickheads.

He was never in the hall of fame, but I do get what you are saying. I wished the tragedy never happened at all, what a waste

Had Eddie had a non-lethal scare that forced him to retire from the ring, maybe Chris could've done the same later on, too? One thing's for sure, the way Vince has been running the WWF/WWE since he first took over, he's an amoral piece of shit, and so many people would've been better off hadn't he been in charge.

Nancy may very well have opened up about the problems she and Chris had. She may very well have teamed with Chris Nowinski (as well as handing Benoit's body over) and brought not just CTE to the surface but also the pressures that professional wrestlers endure.

If it became well known that his suicide was due to CTE and steroids he might largely be seen as a victim of the wrestling industry. It certainly wouldn't reflect well on Vince and crew. That said I don't think it'd be the national news story it became. Just a tragic thing you'd hear about if you paid attention to the industry. WWE would likely set up something like "The Chris Benoit Memorial Crusierwieght Tournament" and have a big show of giving to concussion research to get the heat off them.

There's more blame on McMahon and WWE for his state of mind from CTE and drugs. Benoit becomes a tragic figure most can symphatize with. Perhaps his wife and son become spokespeople for studying CTE and it's effects.