WI: Charles VIII of France marries Margaret of Austria?

The POD here is that in the New Year of 1491, Anne of Brittany dies of a bad case of the flu, and is succeeded by her cousin Jean as the ruler of Brittany (IIRC the Rohan were the next in line). This results in Charles VIII honouring his betrothal to Margaret of Austria, and marrying her in 1494/5.

What would the effects of this be? Charles and Margaret probably share a few children, which means the mainline Valois would live on. Would Philip of Burgundy still marry Joanna of Castile if there is no need for an Anti-French alliance between the HRE and Spain? Who does Juan, Prince of Asturias marry?

Last edited:
I imagine juan would marry his cousin giovanna of naples, or possibly her niece charlotte of naples, princess of taranto. i can see the marriage between philip and juana still happening if charles still invades italy (which I think margaret is unlikely to affect). presumably if they both live long enough margaret and charles have at least one surviving son but you never know...

I imagine juan would marry his cousin giovanna of naples, or possibly her niece charlotte of naples, princess of taranto. i can see the marriage between philip and juana still happening if charles still invades italy (which I think margaret is unlikely to affect).
Giovanna marrying Juan does make sense, especially if Ferdinand still has his ambitions in Naples. Margaret is unlikely to affect Charles’s foreign policies initially since she’d be ~14 when he invaded Italy, too young to influence national diplomacy.
presumably if they both live long enough margaret and charles have at least one surviving son but you never know...
Yeah, I could see them managing to have a child or two even if Charles keeps his otl death date (which means one of them is likely posthumous).

Giovanna is the same age as Juan. Margaret was two years younger, so of Giovanna and Juan marries in 1495 instead, then Juan has a chance to leave a prince or princess if he dies otl or a bit later.

Juan, Prince of Asturias b 1478 d 1500 m Giovanna of Naples b 1478 d 1522

Juan III of Castile and Aragon b 1497
Infanta Isabella b 1499
Infante Ferdinand 1501

Giovanna is the same age as Juan. Margaret was two years younger, so of Giovanna and Juan marries in 1495 instead, then Juan has a chance to leave a prince or princess if he dies otl or a bit later.

Juan, Prince of Asturias b 1478 d 1500 m Giovanna of Naples b 1478 d 1522

Juan III of Castile and Aragon b 1497
Infanta Isabella b 1499
Infante Ferdinand 1501
Yeah, Juan marrying earlier means he’s likely to have a child or two when he dies, which is probably better for everyone. Maybe Ferdinand could push Giovanna’s claim to Naples in alt.

which leaves Marie down a bride (maybe she dies marry James IV to keep peace between him and Arthur if Margaret Tudor marries elsewhere?).
Marie I assume is Maria of Aragon? Because likelier husbands are Wlad II of Hungary (when divorcing his Aragonese second wife) or the duke of Savoy (Margarethe's second husband)

Marie I assume is Maria of Aragon? Because likelier husbands are Wlad II of Hungary (when divorcing his Aragonese second wife) or the duke of Savoy (Margarethe's second husband)
Yeah, I meant Maria, Vlad of Hungary and the Duke of Savoy are more likely than James. Savoy makes the most sense to me since it serves Spanish interests well, especially when the Italian Wars kick off.