WI | Charles of Savoy conquers Cyprus

OTL Queen Charlotte of Cyprus had strong ties to the House of Savoy, marrying her first cousin, Louis of Savoy. After she and her husband were exiled from Cyprus, she continued to rule as pretender against her bastard half brother, James II, who was in control of Cyprus. Eventually, his wife, Catherine Cornaro, ceded the Kingdom to the Republic of Venice.

Back to Charlotte, she ceded her claim to the throne in favor of her nephew/cousin, Charles, Duke of Savoy.

If he lived longer, could he have conquered Cyprus, with French help? Would this lead to war with Venice, causing an earlier Italian War between Venice and Savoy? Would Savoy-France ally with the Ottomans against Venice? Where would the HRE fit into this? Discuss.

OTL Queen Charlotte of Cyprus had strong ties to the House of Savoy, marrying her first cousin, Louis of Savoy. After she and her husband were exiled from Cyprus, she continued to rule as pretender against her bastard half brother, James II, who was in control of Cyprus. Eventually, his wife, Catherine Cornaro, ceded the Kingdom to the Republic of Venice.

Back to Charlotte, she ceded her claim to the throne in favor of her nephew/cousin, Charles, Duke of Savoy.

If he lived longer, could he have conquered Cyprus, with French help? Would this lead to war with Venice, causing an earlier Italian War between Venice and Savoy? Would Savoy-France ally with the Ottomans against Venice? Where would the HRE fit into this? Discuss.

She also ceded her claim to one of the bastard sons of the king of Naples who was engaged to her half-sister, Charla (who Charlotte recognized as her heir per the marriage contract). So she was just like the Byzantine princes who bequeathed their rights to the Empire to the king of Aragon and then those same rights to the French king.

It's very easy to promise something you don't have to someone. The Ottomans are at the height of their strength, so unless Djem causes crap with that (and OTL as fêted as Djem was in Europe - even being acknowledged as prince du sang by some monarchs), I'm not sure France or Savoy's going to take them on. What's Cyprus' value compared to say Burgundy or Lombardy or even Naples?

She also ceded her claim to one of the bastard sons of the king of Naples who was engaged to her half-sister, Charla (who Charlotte recognized as her heir per the marriage contract). So she was just like the Byzantine princes who bequeathed their rights to the Empire to the king of Aragon and then those same rights to the French king.

It's very easy to promise something you don't have to someone. The Ottomans are at the height of their strength, so unless Djem causes crap with that (and OTL as fêted as Djem was in Europe - even being acknowledged as prince du sang by some monarchs), I'm not sure France or Savoy's going to take them on. What's Cyprus' value compared to say Burgundy or Lombardy or even Naples?

They had sugar, wine and a strategic military base in the eastern Med. Cyprus was ruled by Venice during this period, and it took about a century for the Ottoman Empire to conquer it. The Byzantines sold their titles to Spain as a way for them to be seen more legitimate in the eyes of the Pope (as the Third Rome, they were "successors" of the former empire). But Cyprus was a gold mine. It was also isolated from the rest of Europe, so any attacks on it would need a really good fleet. Alfonso and Charla died childless, which is the reason she gave her claim to Charles of Savoy.

My bad. I was thinking of Crete that was described in the Napoléonic Wars as absolutely useless, except for "some goats and wine that tastes like boiled pine needles". So Cyprus was actually important-ish (mostly for gold). I still think Savoy's going to need a push to WANT to go for tthe island, since he didn't OTL.

No one has much interest in Crusades anymore (Pius II's attempt failing miserably), so I'd imagine Carlo needs incentivizing.

Alfonso and Charla died childless, which is the reason she gave her claim to Charles of Savoy.
AIUI Alfonso and Charla were never even married. She died before the wedding (she wanted to be a nun OTL) so it's a horse that never even got out the gate.