WI Charles IX of Sweden is captured by PLC forces in 1605

In 1605 Polish-Lithuanian (mostly Lithuanian tbh) army under hetman Chodkiewicz stomped Swedish army at Kircholm and Charles IX had to flee from the battleon a borrowed horse.

So, the question is, what if, one way or another, he was intercepted by PLC cavalry and taken prisoner? What will Sigismund Vasa do with him? Off with his head? Gustav Adolf is only 12 by then. On engage in some horse trading? Of course there is Polish Sejm to consider as well. Any ideas?

The Commonwealth isn't going to achieve much more than it already had considering that the army which won Kircholm mutinied due to no salaries almost immediately after, unless the Swedish Riksdag is immediately spooked into a favourable peace treaty.

I rather doubt Charles IX would get executed, if at least because that would mean getting rid of the hostage they have against Sweden, and, while I might be wrong, I think Sigismund held few illusions that he could return to Sweden by then (not that he would be able to even with Charles IX in custody, anyway)

Christian IV of Denmark-Norway had tried in vain to convince the Danish council of the realm to declare war on Sweden in august 1604. The refusal to sanction a declaration of war had, however, been carried by a razor thin majority IIRC. Perhaps the capture of Charles IX might convince the council to support the king and thus lead to an earlier Kalmar War.

The Commonwealth isn't going to achieve much more than it already had considering that the army which won Kircholm mutinied due to no salaries almost immediately after, unless the Swedish Riksdag is immediately spooked into a favourable peace treaty.

I rather doubt Charles IX would get executed, if at least because that would mean getting rid of the hostage they have against Sweden, and, while I might be wrong, I think Sigismund held few illusions that he could return to Sweden by then (not that he would be able to even with Charles IX in custody, anyway)
Hmm. Perhaps the better question would be, what can be realistically forced out of Sweden, and how to make sure they behave afterwards.
Christian IV of Denmark-Norway had tried in vain to convince the Danish council of the realm to declare war on Sweden in august 1604. The refusal to sanction a declaration of war had, however, been carried by a razor thin majority IIRC. Perhaps the capture of Charles IX might convince the council to support the king and thus lead to an earlier Kalmar War.
Now, that's an interesting idea.