WI: Charles IX of France and Elisabeth of Austria have a surviving son

Wasn't Anna fifty upon Henry's election? Will he even consider marrying her?
Yeah, she was. He probably wouldn't consider it unless he was forced. And the previously mentioned Anna Vasa was only five at the time of his election, so I think that rules her out as well. In fact, there don't seem to be any Jagiellon descendants that would make a good bride for Henri as of 1573-ish.

Anna and Henri were essentially betrothed upon his accession and probably would have been married had he succeeded to the French throne like 6 months later it’s likely they would have married. Anna was quite clear she felt she could conceive still (her OTL husband apparently did not sleep with her in order to prevent that), but her age is against her.

Anna and Henri were essentially betrothed upon his accession and probably would have been married had he succeeded to the French throne like 6 months later it’s likely they would have married. Anna was quite clear she felt she could conceive still (her OTL husband apparently did not sleep with her in order to prevent that), but her age is against her.
Hmm, well then maybe Henri does marry Anna after all. Of course, considering their OTL reproductive histories and the fact that Anna is now in her fifties, I don't think we'll be seeing a Valois dynasty in Poland anytime soon.

And, apart from Anna, who could Henri marry?
If Anna Jagiellon dies relatively similarly to OTL, I could see Henri (whose assassination is butterflied since he doesn't become king of France) remarrying to a Habsburg archduchess; possibly Anna of Austria (b. 1573, OTL Queen of Poland and Sweden) or one of her sisters, daughters of Archduke Charles and his niece-wife Maria Anna of Bavaria and thus granddaughters of a Jagiellon. Considering the OTL fecundity of said Habsburg princesses, I think Henri's chances of having an heir are decent if he goes that route after Anna Jagiellon's death.

Last edited:
Wouldn't Anna Vasa be a good second wife for Henry, maybe better than a Habsburgs? I know OTL she didn't want to convert but I believe that was related to the death of her mother which was in 1583 so circumstances could well be different. And I would think Anna Jagiellon would be in favor of it if she's entering her sixties with no kids and she knows she's not going to live forever. It keeps someone from her family on the Polish throne. IIRC she was in favor of Anna Vasa's marriage to Stephen's nephew for precisely that reason.

Wouldn't Anna Vasa be a good second wife for Henry, maybe better than a Habsburgs? I know OTL she didn't want to convert but I believe that was related to the death of her mother which was in 1583 so circumstances could well be different. And I would think Anna Jagiellon would be in favor of it if she's entering her sixties with no kids and she knows she's not going to live forever. It keeps someone from her family on the Polish throne. IIRC she was in favor of Anna Vasa's marriage to Stephen's nephew for precisely that reason.
Anna Vasa would be ideal if she doesn't convert to Lutheranism, which doesn't sound like a given. Her value as a bride also might depend on whether Sigismund Vasa remains on the throne of Sweden ITTL. If he doesn't, then Henri might want to marry with a Habsburg. They will certainly be endorsed by the French, being cousins of the new French king, but I'm not sure how beholden Henri would be to Paris. Of course, the Holy Roman Emperor would be another story...

Last edited: