WI: Central African Republic conquers Chad

Its an honestly kind of silly what if, but I have always wondered. What circumstances would allow basically one 4th world nation, to conquer a different 4th world nation.

The POD must be no earlier then 1955, and no later then 2012, and the Central African Republic must hold onto all of Chad for at least 10 years.

Since Chad has 10 million people and the CAR has 4 million people, don't you think it should be the other way around?

Well, it would make "Central African Empire" a somewhat more appropriate name.:D

Really though, I'm kind of curious how much the outside world would care if one African country conquered another, given the perception that "nobody cares about Africa." Especially after the end of the Cold War.

It would be somewhat plausible to see a peaceful union of C.A.R. and Chad shortly after independence, although such attempts have a bad track record in Africa (even Senegal and Gambia couldn't successfully unite).

In my honest opinion, these would be the most plausable (but still highly, highly unlikely) situations in which an African country conquers another:

1. Shortly after Independence in 1961, Sir Milton Margai is ousted in a coup in Sierra Leone. Liberia comes to the aid of Sierra Leone and invades. They create a puppet regime (True Whig Party of Sierra Leone). Once it becomes clear that the TWP of Liberia and the TWP of Sierra Leone are facing the same opposition (ethnic natives who loathe the ruling class who are decendents of former slaves) they merge their country into "The United States of Liberia".

2. When Gambia balks at moving closer to a Senegambian Union in 1989 the Senagalese military invades and takes over Gambia.

3. In 1966 after the Tutsi led coup ousts the monarch of Burundi, Hutu led Rwanda invades and eventually conquers Burundi. They annex it and create a unified Hutu Republic.

4. After the Ugandan-Tanzanian war Tanzania absorbs Uganda.

5. South Africa annexes South West Africa at some point.

6. Morroco doesn't stop at the Mauritanian border after the Green March and conquers Mauritania as well.

7. After Kaliba ousts Mobutu he calls for a Greater Congo. His invasion is repealed but Kinsasha falls to the Rep. of Congo, who decide they like the "greater Congo" idea.

8. Ghana invades Togo

9. The 1958 Djibouti referendum on union with Solmalia goes in favor of a union with Somalia. Coup follows and military dictatorship declares independence, calling the referendum void. Somalia (which has not yet slipped into anarchy) invades and conquers Djibouti, with France's blessing.

Some of these are more plausable than others (although I would say all but #9 and maybe #3 are pretty unlikely), but these are my scenarios where we could see an African country invade another and conquer it.

I could see a union between the two, but unification by war? Gaddafi tried to make Chad his puppet, and was ostracized by the international community. Both Chad and the Central African Republic were in the French sphere of influence, and France interfered with Libyan and Zairian attempts to interfere with these bottom billion states.

Hmmm. Perhaps Chad collapses into civil war earlier, and the CAR intervenes there. Or the opposite occurs. But the countries are so poor, that this is difficult.

Really though, I'm kind of curious how much the outside world would care if one African country conquered another, given the perception that "nobody cares about Africa." Especially after the end of the Cold War.

France might get involved; at the very least send in the Foreign Legion to aid whichever side is being invaded.

Well, it would make "Central African Empire" a somewhat more appropriate name.:D

IOTL, all factions of the civil war in the DRC are supported by multiple neighboring African states. Rwanda is more explicit, in justifying its support of rebels as "recovering traditionally Rwandan territory", which has attracted criticism from the outside world. Not least, because of the gentleman's agreement not to question colonial boundaries.

IOTL, all factions of the civil war in the DRC are supported by multiple neighboring African states. Rwanda is more explicit, in justifying its support of rebels as "recovering traditionally Rwandan territory", which has attracted criticism from the outside world. Not least, because of the gentleman's agreement not to question colonial boundaries.
Hmm, I wonder what it would take to make the colonial boundaries less of a problem in Africa to begin with.

Its an honestly kind of silly what if, but I have always wondered. What circumstances would allow basically one 4th world nation, to conquer a different 4th world nation.

The POD must be no earlier then 1955, and no later then 2012, and the Central African Republic must hold onto all of Chad for at least 10 years.

Bokassa is a Congolese Rubber Tree Vampire. Usually found dwelling in the Congo basin, these are creatures of human appearance that rest upside down in Rubber Trees and feast upon flesh and blood, absorbing knowledge and strength as they do so.

Upon declaring himself Emperor, Bokassa goes into a feeding frenzy, converting many of his subordinates into Rubber Tree Vampires and absorbing much knowledge, including that of the Chadish (?) ambassador. With this new power, he grows to 9ft tall, can fly and has the strength to punch through tank armour. The superbeing and his horde of enslaved minions invade Chad and conquer it.

In my honest opinion, these would be the most plausable (but still highly, highly unlikely) situations in which an African country conquers another:

1. Shortly after Independence in 1961, Sir Milton Margai is ousted in a coup in Sierra Leone. Liberia comes to the aid of Sierra Leone and invades. They create a puppet regime (True Whig Party of Sierra Leone). Once it becomes clear that the TWP of Liberia and the TWP of Sierra Leone are facing the same opposition (ethnic natives who loathe the ruling class who are decendents of former slaves) they merge their country into "The United States of Liberia".

2. When Gambia balks at moving closer to a Senegambian Union in 1989 the Senagalese military invades and takes over Gambia.

3. In 1966 after the Tutsi led coup ousts the monarch of Burundi, Hutu led Rwanda invades and eventually conquers Burundi. They annex it and create a unified Hutu Republic.

4. After the Ugandan-Tanzanian war Tanzania absorbs Uganda.

5. South Africa annexes South West Africa at some point.

6. Morroco doesn't stop at the Mauritanian border after the Green March and conquers Mauritania as well.

7. After Kaliba ousts Mobutu he calls for a Greater Congo. His invasion is repealed but Kinsasha falls to the Rep. of Congo, who decide they like the "greater Congo" idea.

8. Ghana invades Togo

9. The 1958 Djibouti referendum on union with Solmalia goes in favor of a union with Somalia. Coup follows and military dictatorship declares independence, calling the referendum void. Somalia (which has not yet slipped into anarchy) invades and conquers Djibouti, with France's blessing.

Some of these are more plausable than others (although I would say all but #9 and maybe #3 are pretty unlikely), but these are my scenarios where we could see an African country invade another and conquer it.

What about Nigeria annexing Equatorial Guinea (or at least part of it)?

Has anyone ever come up with a map of modern Africa with ideal political boundaries instead of the ones imposed by the colonial powers? It's be really interesting to see one superimposed over the other.

I notice that name and first post was about conquest and not annexation. It would be interesting it it ended up with decent enough relationship between the two countries or if it brought some joint action against encroaching Arabs (Probably fairly minor like tribes going after oasises) from Sudan or giving support to certain rebel groups. It all depends on who best managed to court them. The French certainly would get starry eyed at a whole group of African countries being in their orbit. Chad, the Central African Republic/Empire, Equatorial, Zaire, Sudan... There would of course be the problems of all the countries being at each other's throats or in perpetual collapse, as well as the Americans, Egyptians, and Soviets all interfering in some way. Not even getting into the many other African states with strong dictators.