WI: Catalina / Catherine Trastamara of Aragon is born a boy, succeeds Isabella and Ferdinand

As the title states, Catalina is born male, likely named Ferdinand. He is just as promising as his OTL female counterpart. He weds his brother’s widow, Margarita and has issue with her.

What are potential children’s names? How capable would Ferdinand and Margarita be at ruling the Spanish Empire?

Can't Ferdinand wed someone else? And he would be boss at ruling the spanish empire!

I looked at similar threads and the general consensus is that Maximilian would keep Margarita in Spain to retain her dowry and Ferdinand’s parents would prefer to keep the Austrian alliance as well.

I could see "Fernando" actually marrying Margaret Tudor if they don't try to salvage the marriage with Margaret of Austria, who could be married to Arthur Tudor. You would still get a three way alliance of Spain, England, and the HRE, a Spanish princess married to the Habsburg heir, an English princess to the Spanish heir, and an Imperial princess to the English heir.

Last edited:
Oh Ferdinand and Margarita would be THE power couple of Europe! From what I remember, Margaret of Austria was an incredibly astute woman, so married to the Spanish heir, who wouldn't have to worry about Aragon not recognising him because he wasn't a male heir the way Juana did...wow! I mean, Spain wouldn't have quite as much direct influence in the Low Countries as they did with Charles V, because they are technically under separate rulers, but in some ways, that could be a good thing, because if they don't get as bogged down in the Spanish Netherlands, they might be able to control what goes on in the New World a bit better and hopefully stop themselves going bankrupt further down the line...

In terms of potential children's names: Margarita, Isabella and Juana will most likely be up there for girls - the latter after Ferdnando's deceased brother - with Felipe, Fernando, Alfonso, Juan and possibly Enrique being on the list for boys...

Also, if there isn't a fourth daughter to spare for Arthur Tudor, the Spanish may well never have an English alliance at all, which might well impact on how they deal with France, though the two countries are never not going to be in rivalry with one another. Or would Maria go to England in this AU, if the POD means that Isabella survives longer and Manuel of Portugal isn't left a widower in need of a second wife?

Also, if there isn't a fourth daughter to spare for Arthur Tudor, the Spanish may well never have an English alliance at all, which might well impact on how they deal with France, though the two countries are never not going to be in rivalry with one another. Or would Maria go to England in this AU, if the POD means that Isabella survives longer and Manuel of Portugal isn't left a widower in need of a second wife?

I think the best bet is for Isabella to live longer and have Maria wed Arthur.

This is a big and total w@ñk of the family tree but hey ho.

King Ferdinand III of Aragon (16/12/1485–20/4/1556) m. 1502, A) 1501, Margaret Tudor of England (28/11/1489–18/10/1541) 1542, B) Maria of Portugal, Duchess of Viseu (18/6/1521–10/10/1577
1A) Isabella (21/1/1505 -2/11/1557) m. 1525, Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor (24/2/1500–21/9/1558)​
2A) John III of Aragon (21/2/1507 -17/6/1561) m. 1526, Isabella of Portugal (24/10/1503–1/5/1539)​
3A) Margarita (15/7/1508-29/8/1549) m. Henry II of Navarre (18/4/1503–25/5/1555)​
4A) Alfonso (20/10/1509-5/4/1515) Died aged 5.
5A) Ferdinand, Duke and Viceroy of Sicily (10/4/1511-11/12/1580) m. Ana de Toledo (C. 1515-1560)​
6A) Joanna (4/11/1512-9/10/1556) m. 1528, Francis I of France (12/9/1494–31/3/1547)​
7A) Henry (30/4/1514–3/9/1599) a cardinal (from 1534) Archbishop of Toledo and Primate of Spain (1545–1599)​
8A) Maria (7/10/1515–7/3/1578) m. 1532, Henry IX of England (1/1/1511-20/9/1564)​

This is a big and total w@ñk of the family tree but hey ho.
8A) Maria (7/10/1515–7/3/1578) m. 1532, Henry IX of England (1/1/1511-20/9/1564)​

And whose child is this Henry IX? Obviously Henry VIII by somebody, but the date would be too early for Eleonore of Austria to be his mom; and I don't see Henry VII agreeing to Marguerite d'Angoulême for Arthur in lieu of Catalina.

Margarita (15/7/1508-29/8/1549) m. Henry II of Navarre (18/4/1503–25/5/1555)

Will most likely marry João III of Portugal instead of Katherina of Austria (who will probably have a different name here).

5A) Ferdinand, Duke and Viceroy of Sicily (10/4/1511-11/12/1580) m. Ana de Toledo (C. 1515-1560)

Most likely will marry a foreign royal. Especially if he has the rank (viceroy) if not title of king.

Without a younger girl available Maria (who in OTL was the spare without a definite match) would be the one engaged in England AND she would be already engaged for many years to Arthur before her sister Isabella’s death so I do not know who will be Manuel‘s second wife here...

Fernando will most likely marry either a surviving Madeleine of Navarre (born 1494) or Germaine of Foix (born 1488) not his brother’s widow Margaret of Austria or Margaret Tudor (who will be married in Scotland as OTL)

Last edited:
And whose child is this Henry IX? Obviously Henry VIII by somebody, but the date would be too early for Eleonore of Austria to be his mom; and I don't see Henry VII agreeing to Marguerite d'Angoulême for Arthur in lieu of Catalina.
IOTL Henry VII planned to marry Arthur to a daughter of the Catholic Monarchs, Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon, in order to forge an Anglo-Spanish alliance against France.

It was suggested that the choice of marrying Arthur to Ferdinand and Isabella's youngest daughter, Maria (b. 1482), would be appropriate.

The Treaty of Medina del Campo (27 March 1489) provided that Arthur and Maria would be married as soon as they reached canonical age; it also settled Maria's dowry at 200,000 crowns.

Since Arthur, not yet 14, was below the age of consent, a papal dispensation allowing the marriage was issued in February 1497, and the pair were betrothed by proxy on 25 August 1497.

Maria travelled with her younger brother Ferdinand, leaving Aragon in early August to England and a marriage by proxy took place at Arthur's Tickenhill Manor in Bewdley, near Worcester on 25th August 1498.

On his travels back, Ferdinand receives the news that his oldest sister, Isabella had died on the 23 August 1498, aged 27, in child birth to her son, Miguel da Paz, Prince of Portugal, heir to his father, Miguel I of Portugal.

Maria of Aragon then in 1507, married Arthur’s younger brother and heir to the English throne, Henry of York.

They has the following children
Princess Elizabeth (23/4/1509-21/3/1540)
Henry IX of England (1/1/1511-20/9/1564)
Princess Mary (3/2/1513) Died immediately after birth.
Prince Edward of York (7/10/1515-21/10/1559)
Prince Edmund (9/9/1516) Died immediately after birth.

Will most likely marry João III of Portugal instead of Katherina of Austria (who will probably have a different name here).
There is no John III of Portugal.
The second wife of Manuel I, was Archduchess Margaret of Austria (10/1/1480–1/12/1530) who bore him no children.
Causing the throne to pass to Isabella of Portuguese who is married to John III of Aragon.

Most likely will marry a foreign royal. Especially if he has the rank (viceroy) if not title of king.
Didn’t know if he would be allowed a royal match. I look for a match for him.

IOTL Henry VII planned to marry Arthur to a daughter of the Catholic Monarchs, Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon, in order to forge an Anglo-Spanish alliance against France.

It was suggested that the choice of marrying Arthur to Ferdinand and Isabella's youngest daughter, Maria (b. 1482), would be appropriate.

The Treaty of Medina del Campo (27 March 1489) provided that Arthur and Maria would be married as soon as they reached canonical age; it also settled Maria's dowry at 200,000 crowns.

Since Arthur, not yet 14, was below the age of consent, a papal dispensation allowing the marriage was issued in February 1497, and the pair were betrothed by proxy on 25 August 1497.

Maria travelled with her younger brother Ferdinand, leaving Aragon in early August to England and a marriage by proxy took place at Arthur's Tickenhill Manor in Bewdley, near Worcester on 25th August 1498.

On his travels back, Ferdinand receives the news that his oldest sister, Isabella had died on the 23 August 1498, aged 27, in child birth to her son, Miguel da Paz, Prince of Portugal, heir to his father, Miguel I of Portugal.

Maria of Aragon then in 1507, married Arthur’s younger brother and heir to the English throne, Henry of York.

They has the following children
Princess Elizabeth (23/4/1509-21/3/1540)
Henry IX of England (1/1/1511-20/9/1564)
Princess Mary (3/2/1513) Died immediately after birth.
Prince Edward of York (7/10/1515-21/10/1559)
Prince Edmund (9/9/1516) Died immediately after birth.

The second wife of Manuel I, was Archduchess Margaret of Austria (10/1/1480–1/12/1530) who bore him no children.
Causing the throne to pass to Isabella of Portuguese who is married to John III of Aragon.

Didn’t know if he would be allowed a royal match. I look for a match for him.
Jonathan, Maria of Aragon is way too old for Henry VIII... he need to marry a younger princess (at this point most likely either Eleanor of Austria or Margaret of Angouleme but also Germaine of Foix, Sybille or Sabina of Bavaria can work)

I could see "Fernando" actually marrying Margaret Tudor if they don't try to salvage the marriage with Margaret of Austria, who could be married to Arthur Tudor. You would still get a three way alliance of Spain, England, and the HRE, a Spanish princess married to the Habsburg heir, an English princess to the Spanish heir, and an Imperial princess to the English heir.

I don't particularly see a double match between the Tudors and Trastamaras happening. Either Arthur weds Maria (possible) or Margaret weds Fernando (unlikely given the Tudors "low" prestige at that point). Henry VII promised her to the king of Scots pretty young, so I don't really see him offering Margaret elsewhere. Far more likely match (IMO) would be between Fernando and Ana d'Albret (the marriage will probably be agreed on around 1500, and if her brothers (including Henri and Charles) still all die in infancy, then Castile-Aragon-Navarre end up united de jure as well as de facto) or Germaine de Foix, and thus go for an outright conquest of Navarre.

Actually, I suspect that had Fernando-Isabel had no further daughters to offer Manuel, they would've offered Fernando's niece, the dowager queen of Naples.

I don't particularly see a double match between the Tudors and Trastamaras happening. Either Arthur weds Maria (possible) or Margaret weds Fernando (unlikely given the Tudors "low" prestige at that point). Henry VII promised her to the king of Scots pretty young, so I don't really see him offering Margaret elsewhere. Far more likely match (IMO) would be between Fernando and Ana d'Albret (the marriage will probably be agreed on around 1500, and if her brothers (including Henri and Charles) still all die in infancy, then Castile-Aragon-Navarre end up united de jure as well as de facto) or Germaine de Foix, and thus go for an outright conquest of Navarre.

Actually, I suspect that had Fernando-Isabel had no further daughters to offer Manuel, they would've offered Fernando's niece, the dowager queen of Naples.
The problem with Ana Albret is that she is similar to Joanna of Valois, deformed and infertile, so he will marry Madeleine instead.

I guess since I want to see a Ferdinand x Margaret Habsburg match, let’s say Juan dies shortly before his marriage to Margaret to avoid any brother-sister in law issues like with Henry and Catherine in OTL.

I think Yolande Louise of Savoy is worth mentioning as a possible bride. She brings with her the titles of the kings of Cyprus and Jerusalem - maybe Spain focuses more on the Med ITTL?

Also, Margaret of Austria's child-bearing issues could be an issue down the line.

I guess since I want to see a Ferdinand x Margaret Habsburg match, let’s say Juan dies shortly before his marriage to Margaret to avoid any brother-sister in law issues like with Henry and Catherine in OTL.
Fernando and Margaret is a pretty unlikely match as she is five years older than him AND Fernando will be already engaged to Madeleine d’Albret or Germaine de Foix (Ferdinand of Aragon tried to marry Catherine of Navarre to Juan so a match between Madeleine and his younger son is almost guaranteed, unless said younger son end engaged to the niece of the King of France)

Arthur to Maria is the only logical match as Margaret is destined to Scotland and Fernando has better options. Joanna of Naples as second wife for Manuel is extremely likely (and I do not know how I had forgotten her earlier).

*picks up Elizabeth of Denmark and throws her at Arthur Tudor*
She is not a good match for Arthur. He will marry Maria of Aragon (if he still die, Henry will need a different bride, most likely one of Emperor Maximilian‘s Bavarian nieces or his granddaughter Eleanor)
I think Yolande Louise of Savoy is worth mentioning as a possible bride. She brings with her the titles of the kings of Cyprus and Jerusalem - maybe Spain focuses more on the Med ITTL?

Also, Margaret of Austria's child-bearing issues could be an issue down the line.
Yolande can be an interesting option, if she was available but she will marry her cousin Philibert pretty early so we can take her off the list

Last edited: