WI:Casimir IV, Duke of Pomerania

If Casimir IV of Pomerania survives longer than OTL would he marry any of the daughters of Louis of Hungary and who would he likely marry if ever? Mary or Jadwiga?

Casimir IV was not very popular among Polish knights. He was supposed to be Casimir III's successor, but Poles annulled their king's testament. Therefore I do not think he would have been considered as a potential candidate to Jadwiga's hand. Poles didn't refuse him the throne so they could give it to him a few years later. Bsedies, Casimir IV was already married to Siemowit III's daughter.
But if Poles for some reason agreed to such a marriage, it would have been Jadwiga. Originally Louis d'Anjou's elder daughter, Mary, was supposed to becoem queen of Poland and Hungery, but Poles refused to mantain Polish-Hungarian union, so Jadwiga was crowned as the King (!) of Poland.

Casimir IV was not very popular among Polish knights. He was supposed to be Casimir III's successor, but Poles annulled their king's testament. Therefore I do not think he would have been considered as a potential candidate to Jadwiga's hand. Poles didn't refuse him the throne so they could give it to him a few years later. Bsedies, Casimir IV was already married to Siemowit III's daughter.
But if Poles for some reason agreed to such a marriage, it would have been Jadwiga. Originally Louis d'Anjou's elder daughter, Mary, was supposed to becoem queen of Poland and Hungery, but Poles refused to mantain Polish-Hungarian union, so Jadwiga was crowned as the King (!) of Poland.
But having Casimir IV of Pomerania survive will most likely unite Siemowit of Plock, Sigismund of Luxembourg and the Nobles of Greater Poland who are in favor of Siemowit in OTL against the Krakovian nobles which might cause a split between MaloPolska and WielkoPolska which happened in OTL when Prussia and Austria partitioned Poland but this time it will be Pomerania and Lithuania partitioning Poland.

Originally posted by kasumigenx
But having Casimir IV of Pomerania survive will most likely unite Siemowit of Plock, Sigismund of Luxembourg and the Nobles of Greater Poland who are in favor of Siemowit in OTL against the Krakovian nobles which might cause a split between MaloPolska and WielkoPolska which happened in OTL when Prussia and Austria partitioned Poland but this time it will be Pomerania and Lithuania partitioning Poland.

Coalition of Casimir, Siemowit and Sigismund seems very unlikely to me. Why should Siemowit IV support Casimir IV, if Siemowit was quite interested with getting the Polish crown for himself (with some chances for success, actually). Sigismund was more interested in supporting Jadwiga and even personally led a strong Hungarian force to help the Poles against Siemowit who tried to get Polish throne by force. In short each of those rulers would have been in conflict with two others.
Another thing - Pomerania and Lithuania partitioning Poland? I hope you mean a division between Greater Poland (Wielkopolska) supporting Casimir IV and Lesser Poland (Małopolska) supporting Jogaila. It would have been more a civil war than partition. But it wouldn't have worked. Casimir simply had not enough supporters in Poland. Siemowit IV had bigger chances, but even he had no full support of Greater Poland nobles.

Coalition of Casimir, Siemowit and Sigismund seems very unlikely to me. Why should Siemowit IV support Casimir IV, if Siemowit was quite interested with getting the Polish crown for himself (with some chances for success, actually). Sigismund was more interested in supporting Jadwiga and even personally led a strong Hungarian force to help the Poles against Siemowit who tried to get Polish throne by force. In short each of those rulers would have been in conflict with two others.
Another thing - Pomerania and Lithuania partitioning Poland? I hope you mean a division between Greater Poland (Wielkopolska) supporting Casimir IV and Lesser Poland (Małopolska) supporting Jogaila. It would have been more a civil war than partition. But it wouldn't have worked. Casimir simply had not enough supporters in Poland. Siemowit IV had bigger chances, but even he had no full support of Greater Poland nobles.

Yep, but I think there is more chance that his son could marry Jadwiga or if there is none there would be a way to unite the claims of Sigismund with that of Jogaila such as Elisabeth of Bohemia marrying Jogaila if Jadwiga dies heirless or one of his sons and I just think that Casimir surviving would change Sigismund since Casimir is his uncle.

Last edited:
Yep, but I think there is more chance that his son could marry Jadwiga or if there is none there would be a way to unite the claims of Sigismund with that of Jogaila such as Elisabeth of Bohemia marrying Jogaila if Jadwiga dies heirless or one of his sons and I just think that Casimir surviving would change Sigismund since Casimir is his uncle.

I doubt it. IOTL Sigismund strongly supported Hungarian pretendents - first his wife, Mary, then his sister in law, Jadwiga. As you can see family ties aren't so clear in this situation. Also, Casimir IV's son wouldn't have had any more support among the Poles than his father had, since it would have been obvious to everybody that Casimir IV would have been a power behind the throne. And Poles simply didn't want him. Therefore, no marriage of Casimir IV's son to Jadwiga, I think.
Jogaila himself had no claims at all - he was elected to be a king, and his rule was based on his marriage to Jadwiga. Later he had to pay the nobles with priviliges so they accept his sons as future kings of Poland. Also Sigismund himself had no claims to Polish throne, but by his wife and then sister in law. Now, should Jadwiga suddenly die before her marriage to Jogaila, that would have bee interesting....