WI Canada retains CV capability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheMann,

I've enjoyed this time line tremendously.

While it may be a wank, it's a wank involving Canada, a wank with significant humanitarian overtones, and a wank that has resulted in a better, yet still plausible, world.

Regards,
Bill

Yeah, the Alize, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks, man.

Okey dokey.

This is very interesting, TM, but I fear gathering a hotch-potch fleet of ships would not really be in keeping with Canada as a more robust first-world nation with a shipbuilding industry (outside of carriers and submarines: I could see the initial carrier being bought off the shelf and the latter being built in Canada to foreign designs, much as the Stralians did). A mixture of craft of varying vintages does not normally equate to an economical fleet and complicates training and support): commonality of propulsion, weapons etc and as small a crew as possible is the key, and hull costs are relatively low and keep workers happy.

Or us Canadian can simply build one for ourselves....

Do you mean simply build or also design?

The cost of doing the latter is astronomical, even for countries with a history of doing so and a much stronger maratime insutry. Why bother to design a whole new ship when a reasonable design for export already exists? BAE systems has never had a problem (nor does the British government) with selling ships for export. It could also easily be built in Canada. It's modular design alos means that it could be designed in several place across Canada, brining work to several yards at once.

Russell

Ming777

Monthly Donor
Do you mean simply build or also design?

The cost of doing the latter is astronomical, even for countries with a history of doing so and a much stronger maratime insutry. Why bother to design a whole new ship when a reasonable design for export already exists? BAE systems has never had a problem (nor does the British government) with selling ships for export. It could also easily be built in Canada. It's modular design alos means that it could be designed in several place across Canada, brining work to several yards at once.

Russell

Well, what I meant was help out in developing the CVF and getting permission to build one for ourselves. (is, the Albion(Bluenose)-class LPDs)

Ming777

Monthly Donor
Now if anyone has spare time, try to turn the old clemanceau into the proposed Canadian variant.

As well, TheMann, please continue!!!

HMCS Atlantica.gif

HMCS Atlantica.gif

Well, here we go. After many patient hours may I present to you HMCS Atlantica.

Ships complement is what was suggested some pages back.

I took the liberty of assigning the ship a pennant number (CV 25 but it will probably be changed at The Manns discretion).

I also extended the catapults out over the bow of the ship because when the French studied the feasability of launching the Hornet from the the Clemencau it was decided that these would be nescessary for safety sake - launch speed otherwise was aceptable but somewhat low.

Note: The deck space has been enlarged but only in terms of width.

Russell

HMCS Atlantica.gif

Last edited:
Lovely TL, but...

... I had hoped Canada would have hung onto the Arrow - a damn fine plane with capabilities well past year 2000...

...What about Canada picking up on the non-nuclear Type 212 German subs with the fuel cell system giving 3 to 12 week endurance. The Greeks were forced to cancel their order in 2009, dammit :mad:...

... Canada might do well to consider ASW expansion into Hvalfjordur in Iceland, not being as oppressive as a USN presence...

I've never seen any versions of the Arrow with jump jet/short take-off abilities

Does someone more informed about the Canadian Forces than me know if it would have been possible to put the Arrow on a Carrier?

Status
Not open for further replies.