WI: Bicycle lifts appeared during the first bicycle

The idea of a bicycle having been invented earlier has been discussed before, see:

*Medieval bicycle
*Earliest possible bicycle
*WI: Leonardo da Vinci invents the bicycle?
*What if bicycles were invented centuries earlier?
*WI: Bicycle developed earlier?

Another related technology, the bicycle lift in Trondheim, also strikes me as quite recent in relation to the technology involved, as well as the bicycle craze.
The first paved roads were, in fact, paved for bicycles, and this was before popularisation of the motor car. One reason that the first popular motor cars put and end to the bicycle craze is that cars have always been better at hilclimbing than the pushbikes of the time. This was before electrically assisted bicycles were a practical option.
Bicycles apparently remained more popular in flat countries like the Netherlands and Denmark, and to this day these countries are known for their high bicycle usage rates and extensive bicycle infrastructure.
Take a look at bikes passing red lights in the Netherlands, these not being applicable to them and also a special routing signal for bicycles:

But anyway, could the same have happened elsewere in the developed world if the bicycle lift had appeard during the bicycle craze?

Last edited:
Seems like a good idea when there aren't many cyclists. But what if you have hundreds of people biking to work, the line at rush hour would be crazy. If it could scale for highier capacity it would be something.

Here's an actual bicycle lift in Trondheim:
Could the bicycle craze have lasted longer had these appeared so much earlier?

One reason that the first popular motor cars put and end to the bicycle craze is that cars have always been better at hill climbing than the pushbikes of the time.
I would argue that it's more a case of cars being first a status symbol (they're much more expensive), people not enjoying cycling in the wind and the rain, rising prosperity making cars more affordable so more people buying the status symbol, and finally many more cars on the road making cycling appear more dangerous than it is. Also governments have done next to nothing to support cyclists in the way of dedicated paths and more importantly secure parking until very recently. The cynic in me puts that partly down to the fact Governments can't really tax bikes beyond the initial (low) sales price, while cars are a cash cow.

Last edited:
But the cycling did remain more popular in the Netherlands, a flat country, and possibly Denmark, also quite flat, than it remained in most other developed countries, not nearly as flat. A greater extent of side-paths earlier on might also have helped.

I've seen that before. As for the idea that Dutch cycle-paths have always been there, the video does note that this is partly true and suggests that bicycles outnumbered motor vehicles until after WWII.

This was before electrically assisted bicycles were a practical option.
Electric Bikes have existed since the 1890's, what's changed is not the motors but batteries. They've gotten a lot lighter and give much more range than the old Victorian technology of lead acid batteries. (I ride one as my primary form of transport)

I've seen that before. As for the idea that Dutch cycle-paths have always been there, the video does note that this is partly true and suggests that bicycles outnumbered motor vehicles until after WWII.
The key point is that rising prosperity, led to more cars which were driving the bikes off the roads until the Government started taking measures to support and protect cyclists. Cycling has always been more popular in flatter areas than hilly ones and I don't see that changing much. Bike lifts such as you suggest help, but they cant be on every street and will be huge bottlenecks during busy periods. They're part of the package to support and encourage cycling but on their own are limited.

Electric Bikes have existed since the 1890's, what's changed is not the motors but batteries. They've gotten a lot lighter and give much more range than the old Victorian technology of lead acid batteries. (I ride one as my primary form of transport)
I didn't say it was before electric bikes existed, just before they were a practical option, note that pedal-assist sensors first appeared only in 1989.
Bike lifts such as you suggest help, but they cant be on every street and will be huge bottlenecks during busy periods. They're part of the package to support and encourage cycling but on their own are limited.
They wouldn't be needed on every street, maybe only the steepest street in town.

I didn't say it was before electric bikes existed, just before they were a practical option, note that pedal-assist sensors first appeared only in 1989.

Personally I much prefer to use the throttle to control how much of a boost I get from the motor. It gives me much more control over my speed than the fixed settings of the pedal assist. There's also no lag before the motor cuts in when you set off, so using the throttle is in my opinion safer.

marathag

Banned
One reason that the first popular motor cars put and end to the bicycle craze is that cars have always been better at hilclimbing than the pushbikes of the time.
And better at this
519689.jpg

By 1926, over 90% of Iowa Farmers had automobiles. The Midwest was just as much a 'Sea of Mud' as Ukraine was, but unlike the USSR, much effort was made into surfacing roads with at least gravel
1591308802138.png

surfacing roads started before WWI in Iowa, but no towns were connected with paved roads until 1918

It's a lot easier to free a bogged down bike from the mud than a car though. You can't hoist a car onto your shoulder and carry it to firmer ground, though you'd probably lose your shoes to a bog like the one above.

Personally I much prefer to use the throttle to control how much of a boost I get from the motor. It gives me much more control over my speed than the fixed settings of the pedal assist. There's also no lag before the motor cuts in when you set off, so using the throttle is in my opinion safer.
Actually some pedalecs do have variable settings.
It's a lot easier to free a bogged down bike from the mud than a car though. You can't hoist a car onto your shoulder and carry it to firmer ground, though you'd probably lose your shoes to a bog like the one above.
Note that paving of roads was originally done for pedal-powered vehicles, such as bicycles.

Suppose that not only bicycle lifts appeared during the first bicycle craze but sidepaths did too.

Suppose that not only bicycle lifts appeared during the first bicycle craze but sidepaths did too.
Dedicated bike paths are the key to keeping cycling as a form of transport not just a leisure activity as motor transport develops. Britain actually started a program of building such paths in the 1930's when Hore Belisha (who hated cyclists) was minister of transport but in September 1939 other matters got in the way. Sadly many of these 30's bike paths were later turned into extra lanes for cars or parking for cars!!!

Could WWII have been one of the matters that got in the way? Rediculous to turn these bike paths into lanes or especially street parking, we have too much street parking in so many places.

It didn't help that the cycling organisations strongly campaigned against separate cycle tracks, seeing them as a threat to the right to cycle on the normal roads. Absolute madness. I doubt they had bothered to ask people who just wanted to get to work or school safely about that, only caring about their club rides and tours.

Last edited:
Another thing that would have helped would for the railway companies (later British Rail) and local providers like the London Underground to provide secured bike parking at stations, so commuters could ride to the station in the morning and check their bikes in confident that they'd still be there when they got back at night. The same could be done at larger bus depots.

It didn't help that the cycling organisations strongly campaigned against separate cycle tracks, seeing them as a threat to the right to cycle on the normal roads. Absolute madness. I doubt they had bothered to ask people who just wanted to get to work or school safely about that, only caring about their club rides and tours.
What - Cycling organisations lobbied against cycle paths? Cars are a lot heavier and faster than any pedal-powered vehicle.
Another thing that would have helped would for the railway companies (later British Rail) and local providers like the London Underground to provide secured bike parking at stations, so commuters could ride to the station in the morning and check their bikes in confident that they'd still be there when they got back at night. The same could be done at larger bus depots.
How about bicycles on trains? And why bus depots?

What - Cycling organisations lobbied against cycle paths? Cars are a lot heavier and faster than any pedal-powered vehicle.

Apparently they feared that if there were proper cycle paths cyclists would be forced onto them and banned from using any normal road even if there was no cycle path alternative. To be fair there are plenty of drivers who want bikes banned from the roads and are also bitterly opposed to any cycle paths being built anywhere.

How about bicycles on trains? And why bus depots?

You can't really take many bikes on a crowded commuter train during rush hour.
Why Bus stations? My thinking is if you've got a job in another town you ride your bike to the station, check your bike in and get the bus to work. Plus such stations are usually in the centre of town and a handy place to park a bike while doing the shopping, as would be a railway station.

Last edited: