What if Conradin won against Charles of Anjou in the battle of Tagliacozzo and managed to establish himself in Sicily. Would he go north to claim the Emperorship? Would Aragon still invade Sicily in the name of Constance, or would the Sicilian Vespers be butterflied. Additionally, who would the young Conradin, heir to his grandfather marry. For how long Conradin lives, let's say he lives to be 68 like his great-great-grandfather, Frederick Barbarossa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tagliacozzo

Last edited:
Additionally, would Conradin marry Constance, his cousin, himself to solidify his claims or look elsewhere for marriage alliances.

Hadn't Constance already married Peter of Aragon several years before Tagliacozzo, though? So she's not really available for Conradin to marry to solidify his claims.

I imagine Conradin's choice of bride would be influenced by what his ambitions are- I.e. whether he's going to focus on being King of Sicily or instead throw himself into imperial politics north of the Alps.

Hadn't Constance already married Peter of Aragon several years before Tagliacozzo, though? So she's not really available for Conradin to marry to solidify his claims.

I imagine Conradin's choice of bride would be influenced by what his ambitions are- I.e. whether he's going to focus on being King of Sicily or instead throw himself into imperial politics north of the Alps.
Actually, your right. I had believed she hadn't married until after the Hohenstaufens were driven from Sicily. Odd. I'll be right onto fixing that, thanks!

krieger

Banned
But there will be no one supporting Constance against Conradin. What's more, she wouldn't be willing to assault the rightful heir. Aragon would be the most likely ally of surviving Hohenstauf Sicily. When comes to the bride I suggest Mary of Hungary.

But there will be no one supporting Constance against Conradin. What's more, she wouldn't be willing to assault the rightful heir. Aragon would be the most likely ally of surviving Hohenstauf Sicily. When comes to the bride I suggest Mary of Hungary.
He is going to marry Mary of Hungary, if he becomes King of Sicily he is going to need to support Ottokar as his proxy north of the Alps..at least temporarily.