WI: Arthur Tudor and Katherine of Aragon's posthumous son marries Anne Boleyn.

Does Henry, Duke of York also fall for Anne? Up to you to decide. Either way, what does this change? We will say that this son of Arthur and Katherine is born in New Year's, 1503, and is named Ferdinand after Katherine's father. Ferdinand I of England is a child king when he succeeds to the throne, so who is going to be regent? God only knows. Perhaps Katherine and Henry co-run the regency and fall in love or perhaps Margaret Beaufort survives through butterflies and rules as queen in all but name. Either way, he grows up a good Catholic boy, rules his kingdom with an iron fist, and then Anne Boleyn whirls back into England after a stint in France. Yes, I think the idea of Katherine as Anne's mother-in-law is hilarious, fight me. How likely do you think this match will work out? Will Henry and Katherine do their best to stop this happening, each for their own purposes? Will Ferdinand and Anne elope and have a dozen bouncing healthy babies together? This is where I need your help...

Deleted member 147978

Does Henry, Duke of York also fall for Anne? Up to you to decide. Either way, what does this change? We will say that this son of Arthur and Katherine is born in New Year's, 1503, and is named Ferdinand after Katherine's father. Ferdinand I of England is a child king when he succeeds to the throne, so who is going to be regent? God only knows. Perhaps Katherine and Henry co-run the regency and fall in love or perhaps Margaret Beaufort survives through butterflies and rules as queen in all but name. Either way, he grows up a good Catholic boy, rules his kingdom with an iron fist, and then Anne Boleyn whirls back into England after a stint in France. Yes, I think the idea of Katherine as Anne's mother-in-law is hilarious, fight me. How likely do you think this match will work out? Will Henry and Katherine do their best to stop this happening, each for their own purposes? Will Ferdinand and Anne elope and have a dozen bouncing healthy babies together? This is where I need your help...
You're quite restless with these Tudor-related threads just recently. If I were you, I'll kindly cease for the time being.

Anyways, to answer your question. . .

If hypothetical Ferdinand Tudor just so happens to be in a romantic and sexual relationship with Anne Boleyn, well Hypothetical King Arthur and Queen Catherine wouldn't be superbly pleased by his decision if putting it lightly. Ferdinand would've been betrothed to a bride that Queen Catherine on insisting (most likely a Habsburg girl).

A son of Arthur and Katherine would not be named Ferdinand, it’s not English enough. The possible names are: Henry, Arthur, or Edward.

You're quite restless with these Tudor-related threads just recently. If I were you, I'll kindly cease for the time being.

Anyways, to answer your question. . .

If hypothetical Ferdinand Tudor just so happens to be in a romantic and sexual relationship with Anne Boleyn, well Hypothetical King Arthur and Queen Catherine wouldn't be superbly pleased by his decision if putting it lightly. Ferdinand would've been betrothed to a bride that Queen Catherine on insisting (most likely a Habsburg girl).
I'll cease posting soon since I will soon be without Internet connection for a bit, that's why I'm posting all of it now :coldsweat:

Arthur's dead in this TL, hence "posthumous son", so Ferdinand Tudor is the king already. Thus his mother can't actually do shit to stop him, but she sure as hell can try...

A child of Arthur and Catherine would NOT be named Ferdinand - I don't care if he's named for Catherine's father. He would be named either Henry or Arthur. Henry VII would have a say in his name, and Ferdinand is not English enough. Remember, the Tudors are still on somewhat shaky ground as a dynasty at this point. They're not going to want the heir to the throne to have a foreign-sounding name.

Agree on not naming him Ferdinand, Henry would never agree to a name like that. Arthur or Henry would be more plausible, as is probably Edward/Edmund.

The first butterfly I can see flapping is that EoY might not die as scheduled, they would be in a far less rush to have another heir since Catherine has a son.

As the mother of the new Duke of Cornwall (he wouldn't be inducted as Prince of Wales immediately), Catherine wouldn't be as neglected as she was IOTL, so her health would be far better off. Although I guess Ferdinand would be asking for her once the mourning period is over so he could make a new alliance using a second marriage.

England's notoriously mistrustful of female regents, so if Catherine is allowed to remain in England as the Dowager Princess/My Lady the King's Mother, her public role would be ceremonial, though privately would probably have a lot of influence with the young king. Henry (who is still Duke of York) would probably be leading the regency council instead.

Lastly, Anne would either be a mistress or a second wife if your plot is to work. Arthur would've been married as soon as legally possible, probably to a Habsburg cousin. Or France.

Lastly, Anne would either be a mistress or a second wife if your plot is to work. Arthur would've been married as soon as legally possible, probably to a Habsburg cousin. Or France.
I'm betting France. I could see Lord Regent Henry pushing back against My Lady the King's Mother who'd be pushing for a Hasburg cousin. Though France doesn't have princesses of the right age so it'd be a proxy. Unless Arthur/Henry is betrothed to a much younger French princess and elopes with Anne Boleyn while waiting for the French princess to grow up.

I'm betting France. I could see Lord Regent Henry pushing back against My Lady the King's Mother who'd be pushing for a Hasburg cousin. Though France doesn't have princesses of the right age so it'd be a proxy. Unless Arthur/Henry is betrothed to a much younger French princess and elopes with Anne Boleyn while waiting for the French princess to grow up.
But why would Regent Henry favour the French over England's allies?

If he follows his early OTL policies as king, he'll go agaisnt the French, at least in the beginning.

Last edited:

Quite right. What about Navarre? Butterflies could have Henri II de Navarre born as a princess rather than a prince.

Arthur jr would probably marry Beatrice of Portugal or a Habsburg girl. A French bride seems unlikely. Anne Boleyn could be his second wife.

But why would Regent Henry favour the French over England's allies?
He shouldn't but I could see Henry having even less patience with Catherine as his sister-in-law than he had with her as his wife. And if he's feeling nagged, I could totally see him doing the exact opposite just because he's determined to show that she doesn't control him.

He shouldn't but I could see Henry having even less patience with Catherine as his sister-in-law than he had with her as his wife. And if he's feeling nagged, I could totally see him doing the exact opposite just because he's determined to show that she doesn't control him.
Does he desperately have to show she doesn’t control him, though? He’s official Regent and she’s not, what else is left to proove?

Catherine won’t have to make demands regarding her son’s marriage because most likely Henry VII will arrange it well before his death, probably to Eleanor of Austria, as he attempted to do with young Henry.

If not Eleanor then one of her sisters, but it’ll be Arthur Jr to an Archduchess-Infanta and his aunt Mary to Charles V.

Last edited:
Does he desperately have too show she doesn’t control him, though? He is official Regent and she’s not, what else is left to proove?

Catherine won’t have to make demands regarding her son’s marriage because most likely Henry VII will arrange it well before his death, probably to Eleanor of Austria, as he attempted to do with young Henry.

If not Eleanor then one of her sisters, but it’ll be Arthur Jr to an Archduchess-Infanta and his aunt Mary to Charles V.
I agree this is totally the most likely scenario, I just think there’s a 15-20% chance Henry has a hissy fit and picks France. Because there’s always a 15-20% chance Henry has a hissy fit.