WI: Alternate/Smaller United States Poll

Most Plausible Petite United States (Largest to Smallest)

• Total voters

Deleted member 139407

Hey all! I hope everyone is having a very happy Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanza! What could be more jolly than thinking of a rump United States scenario? x'Dx'D

Anyways, the idea of a rump United States has always fascinated me - seeing one of the great powers of the world being secluded to the East Coast and being a more regional power. I've seen plenty of rump United States' having expansion end with the Louisiana Territory. Now, I want your opinion: what's the most plausible rump United States? I've put up a poll and if you want to give any additional opinion, or another option you feel could work, feel free!

Have a happy New Year and a bountiful decade!
Best,
Mr. Havana

The smallest possible United States, aside from not existing at all, would probably just be the Mid Atlantic states. IE, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland. What you would need for this is New English succession, Southern Succession, and no western expansion. In order to do all of this the easiest answer is to just have the British do slightly better during the war. They maintain more land, but the colonists exhaust them into giving a rump US consisting of the 9 colonies outside of NE independence. Then the country is torn apart over slavery a few decades later, with every state south of the capital becoming independent.