WI: All of Katherine of Aragon's children live to adulthood

All very dramatic and well-written, but I think I'm going to have to go back and reread this one... I've forgotten who's who (more because I'm ill and not anything to do with the story (which is excellent, don't get me wrong!))

Oh no, this is going to get messy.

Should have let the page explain where Katherine was.

I hope Rose is safe.

A mystery you have teased us there.

All very dramatic and well-written, but I think I'm going to have to go back and reread this one... I've forgotten who's who (more because I'm ill and not anything to do with the story (which is excellent, don't get me wrong!))
Thank you. I would love to hear your thoughts.
Oh no, this is going to get messy.

Should have let the page explain where Katherine was.

I hope Rose is safe.

A mystery you have teased us there.
It will be very messy. King Henry had the Princess of Wales moved to court after Queen Katherine's death so when the royal coup happened after his death, she was made a hostage.

Well, she is currently being held prisoner right now. Any guesses on what is going on with Prince John and Henry Percy?
Is Prince John their spy in the enemy camp? Is Henry Percy also a spy?
I suspect those two are spies for the royalists (royalists = pro-Queen Katherine I Tudor), but Norfolk sided with Eddie the Fool because he sought power.
Because Henry Percy (and Anne Boleyn) were pretty pro-Katherine I Tudor in their snippet of the alternate fates interlude.

Last edited:
Is Prince John their spy in the enemy camp? Is Henry Percy also a spy?
I suspect those two are spies for the royalists (royalists = pro-Queen Katherine I Tudor), but Norfolk sided with Eddie the Fool because he sought power.
Because Henry Percy (and Anne Boleyn) were pretty pro-Katherine I Tudor in their snippet of the alternate fates interlude.
I really hope John is just playing along with hopes of luring Edward and others into a trap.
We will see more of John and his motives, but that is a possibility.

John rubbed his head, looking up at his brooding brother who was hugging his knees to his chest. He felt a twinge of sorrow for him. "I'll support you, Ned. I always will."

Edward glanced down at him, his tear filled eyes filled with hope. "You mean that, Johnny?"

The Duke of Somerset nodded. "I swear I will.
Oh drat! I've just come across this bit in my reread. This doesn't bode well for John tricking Edward...

Yeah, I don't think this is going to end well, somehow. If Edward has the Butlers, Norfolk, Buckingham and Somerset behind him, he's going to be a massive thorn in Rose's side, to say the least.

Perhaps Rose will have to marry Thomas of York to unite the lines in the end?

The fallout to King Charles decision to break from Rome was immediate. Henri, Duke of Angouleme, loudly derided his decision, getting in a shouting match with the king that caused the latter to be banished. Francois, Duke of Orleans privately tried to change Charles' mind but publicly stood by him (the fact that his wife, Maria of Saxony was a believer of Luthor's ideals helped his neutral stance). Louis, Duke of Berry, reportedly shrugged his shoulders and continued drinking.

Queen Mary came to her husband on bended knee, begging him to recant his heresy for the sake of his immortal soul and the souls of their children. King Charles coldly informed her that if she was so displeased with how he ran his kingdom, she could return to England. He made it clear that he would hear no more of her arguments, sending her to a villa in the countryside, insisting she use it until she was ready to be his loving and obedient wife again.

Upon learning of this, King Henry furiously ranted that his son-in-law was a knave unworthy of his beloved daughter. He derided the French monarch for exiling a good and loving wife for simply disagreeing with him. "What sort of a man would behave so dishonorably and ungallant to a woman who did him no wrong?" he questioned the French ambassador.

King Charles cared little for his father-in-law's opinion. He instead focused instead on making several reforms to the French church, including having the clergy swear an oath of loyalty to the French king and his subjects above all. He appointed several Calvinist and Lutheran leaning nobles and priests to high positions, even inviting John Calvin to his court. He made it clear he was doubling down on his position of severing France from the flock of Rome.

He did however send his youngest sister, Marguerite to Portugal, ensuring that her future marriage would not be tainted by his actions. Luckily King Joao, although notoriously against the reformation to the point of starting an inquisition, did not hold Charles' heresy against his son's bride. Marguerite was welcomed with open arms; Infante Antonio proclaimed that he was the luckiest of men to have such a enthralling bride.

Ignoring the tension of the French court, the disgraced Prince Edward, Duke of York welcomed his second son, who he named James "after a brave and loyal man". Unlike the Earl of Nottingham, newborn James seemed to take more after his mother. Edward was pleased to have a second son, proclaiming that he now had his heir and his spare. He wrote to his parents, beeseching them to see that he was a far more worthy heir than the weak seed of his brother. King Henry wrote back that by that logic, Prince John should be his heir as his wife had birthed him three sons.

Emperor Charles had little time to deal with his counterpart's actions. He was now a widower, having lost his beloved wife to childbed fever, birthing their fifth son who had not lived much longer. He was currently campaigning in Africa, wresting Algeria from the Ottoman Empire's control. Unfortunately, he had to split his troops as there were uprisings in Flanders and Germany. Worse several storms had caused many of his ships to be lost or destroyed. The Algerines attacked the newly arrived troops, slaughtering them before retreating back to their city. Soon Charles had no choice but to retreat.

Once he had returned to Spain, Charles wrote his will, deciding to divide his kingdoms between his brother and his surviving sons. He made his brother Ferdinand, King of the Romans with his nephew Maximilian being engaged to one of his daughters. His eldest son, Philip was named Prince of Asturias and Girona was engaged to Princess Maria of Portugul. He would make Carlos Duke of Burgundy and Lord of the Netherlands. His youngest son, Juan would recive the Duchy of Milian.

Meanwhile in England, King Henry was incescened by his sons-in-law. He cursed the day he never sent his precious pearl to that wreteched land of sin. Then there was his eldest daughter's widower, the King of Navarre. King Henri had recently married Anna of Cleves and she was already pregnant. Even though Queen Elizabeth had been dead for four years at the time of her husband's marriage, the ruler of England still insisted that the King of Navarre was spitting on her grave by marrying "a German heathen whore with the face of a horse." And of course, there was the fued with Prince Edward, King Henry nearly ordered the Duke of Buckingham's arrest when it reached his ears that he had been exchanging letters with the exiled prince. It was only his youngest daughter's pleas to spare her father-in-law did he relent.

Henry was soon distracted from his ire when Prince Charles requested permission to marry Kitty Howard. After discussing it in length with Queen Katherine, the former did give his permission as Charles was currently eigth in line for the throne so he could choose his own bride. The wedding was a splendid affair, taking place in March. King Henry gave a toast, remenicising of his wedding with his own beloved Katherine who he proclamied was still the loveliest woman he had even laid eyes on.

Shortly after his son's wedding, Henry was declared King of Ireland by the parliment. He had little time to celebrate as he and the queen both fell ill. It was a chaotic time with Prince John having to act as regent. While the monarchs did recover, it was still a tense time with factions quickly forming between those who supported Princess Katherine and those who supported Prince Edward. Prince John refused to join either side, focusing instead on keeping the kingdom running.

Once King Henry and Queen Katherine had recovered their strength, they decided to dissolve their granddaughters' household. Princess Elizabeth would stay with the Duke and Duchess of Richmond while Princess Katherine and her mother would be giving lodgings at court. King Henry even had his eldest granddaughter sit in the council meetings so she could have a more hands on approuch on learning to rule.

The Duke of Somerset and his wife once agian left court to return to the countryside. However, they first had a private meal with the Earl and Countess of Northumberland and the new council member, John Dudley. What they talked about remains a mystery to this day as it was never alluded to in any letters (the Countess of Northumberland and the Duchess of Somerset were close friends) but, it has been suspected that they were setting the stage for what would come next.