WI: All of Katherine of Aragon's children live to adulthood

"He professed to Katherine that sadly Sir Loyal Heart would have to retire from the jousting field." - well that prevents one accident for Henry, perhaps he can keep fitter and less githy ITTL?

"There was the matter of Princess Catherine." - nice that the Queen stepped in here.

"granting him the ability to close down defunct or corrupt monasteries." - as long as the process does not get out of hand or the 'inspectors' to corrupt and greedy some of England's monasteries and their great buildings should survive.

Interesting set of births, and deaths there. Welcome to the new comers. Navarre could be a problem one thinks.

Prince Edward continues to disappoint.

I don't want to make a poll because of spoilers, but I feel the need to ask this question because I am still debating and want my readers to weigh in.

Who should be the next monarch after King Henry VIII: his grandson, Edward, his granddaughter, Catherine, or his son?

Last edited:
I don't want to make a poll because of spoilers, but I feel the need to ask this question because I am still debating and want my readers to weigh in.

Who should be the next king after King Henry VIII: his grandson, Edward, his granddaughter, Catherine, or his son?
Edward! Justice for the Prince of Wales! Long live Edward VI!

Who should be the next monarch after King Henry VIII: his grandson, Edward, his granddaughter, Catherine, or his son?

Definitely not Edward the Duke of York, given what we've seen of him. Catherine has a lot of interesting dramatic possibilities, and I've picked up on some foreshadowing I think, but I can't see Henry wanting her as his heiress when he still has three living sons. Maybe Edward the grandson succeeds him but dies young and without issue ala the OTL Edward VI. That leaves room for a power struggle between Catherine and her Uncle Edward, and Uncle John will have to decide who to back, making him the villain to the one he doesn't.

Definitely not Edward the Duke of York, given what we've seen of him. Catherine has a lot of interesting dramatic possibilities, and I've picked up on some foreshadowing I think, but I can't see Henry wanting her as his heiress when he still has three living sons. Maybe Edward the grandson succeeds him but dies young and without issue ala the OTL Edward VI. That leaves room for a power struggle between Catherine and her Uncle Edward, and Uncle John will have to decide who to back, making him the villain to the one he doesn't.
Can't we give england a break after the mess of the wars of the roses! May edward VI be as virile and stong but hopefully more long lived than edward iv.

His son, and then all his son's children. .

Def not Edward ever.

Last edited:
I think it would be nice for little edward to be what his father never got to be - catherine would be difficult to get as queen regnant as i'm sure henry would prefer to have his eldest surviving son succeed him with catherine being promised to her eldest surviving male cousin (through one of her uncles of course)

I second this one, if only for the irony!

Interlude-Flashforward III
The atmosphere of the King's public audience chamber was tense. Normally it would be filled with laughter and chatter. The courtiers mingled and talked while the musicians strummed their lutes. Lately King Henry was calling for foreign merchants to come and parade their exotic wears. It seemed that the old king had grown disenchanted with the glory of war, instead he focused on racing the Spanish, Dutch, and Portuguese to discover new lands.

However, exploration and treasures were the furthest thing from the monarch's mind. Unlike his queen----who acted as if there was no tension at all---the king was not hiding his emotions. His hands were curled into fists, his scowl was black. His blue orbs were like ice as they bored a hole into the great doors as if they had personally offended him. No one dared to approach him. All were waiting for the arrival of the source of the red haired ruler's anger.

Why must you cause so much trouble, Ned? John admonished silently, his arm wrapped around his wife. Willow, as he called her in private, was his rock during these dark days. It felt more and more family were slipping away. First Hal, then Aunt Mary, Bess, and now... Even his living relatives seemed to pulling away. Little Catherine was now married to Henry Stafford. Mary barely wrote to them anymore. And Charlie was becoming increasingly enamored with the notion of sailing to the new world and carve out his own destiny. Not that he was any better. He and Willow spent their days away from court, keeping to themselves.

Finally the great doors flew open and two guards dragged a bound Prince Edward, the Duke of York, down the aisle. They shoved him down onto his knees in front of the dais. Prince Edward lifted his bruised face, throwing a dark glare at the two men that promised retribution. Then he turned towards the gilded thrones. "Father. Mother. What crime have I committed? What error have I made that warranted this poor treatment? I am the Prince of Wales---"

There were gasps among the crowd of spectators, shocked at the nerve of the prince. Rumors had arrived at Whitehall that the Duke of York had insisted his household and visitors to refer him as the Prince of Wales. Although none doubted that the news was untrue, for him to brazenly repeat his foolish words was scandalous.

When King Henry heard the rumors, he had raged and raged before finally ordering men to Ireland to drag his second son to him in chains. The weeks that passed did little sooth his anger. Hearing Edward speak those words had tipped the monarch to his boiling point. He let out a wordless roar, leaping up, his hands on the pommel of his sword.

"Henry!" Queen Katherine was on her feet, grabbing her husband's arm before he could do something rash. Her visage was a stark white, her eyes wide in fear. Something odd flashed on Edward's face as he looked at his mother: gratitude or surprise mayhaps?

"John," Willow hissed, causing her husband to realize that he had been squeezing her too hard. He quickly let go of her, struggling to maintain his emotions.

King Henry released the pommel, instead reaching upwards to stroke his wife's face. However, he never looked away from his son, barking at him, "Your nephew is ill, but he is not dead! Even if he were dead, how dare you celebrate stealing his birthright!"

"He stole my birthright!" Edward thundered. "Everyone knows that I am to be king after you just like you were after your father."

Has he lost his mind! John wondered. He knew Edward could be foolish and imprudent, but to speak those words in front of everyone, to be so callous about his own flesh and blood. Christ's blood, brother, when did you become so ruthless, so ambitious? His resentment of Hal seemed to have spiraled to the point where he accused a sickly child of conspiring against him by just living.

King Henry strode towards the Duke of York and backhanded him with such force, it sent him sprawling backwards. "You are swine! I am the King of England! I decided who ise my heir! And it shall not be you!"

The red-haired monarch glanced over his shoulder at his wife who turned away, nodding slightly. He then stared down at his son as if he were nothing, but dirt on his shoe. "I have made up a new Act of Succession, one that will be confirmed through Parliament. If my beloved grandson dies, his sister Catherine will be Princess of Wales then her sister Elizabeth afterwards."

Edward had sat up during his father's speech and he was now gaping in horror. "What you saying?! Father, you cannot do this!" His voice had lost all of his arrogance and now his manner was pleading and...hurt.

"I AM THE KING!" Henry roared, his hands twitching as though he wanted to wrap them around the Duke of York's neck. "I CAN ORDER YOUR EXECUTION ON A WHIM!"

Queen Katherine flinched and she began to walk down the aisle, unwilling to remain in this room. As she passed Edward, he suddenly lunged for her, managing to grasp her skirts.

"Mother, please, you can't let him do this to me!" he begged. "Tell him I am his heir. You mustn't let him do this to me!"

Katherine pulled her skirts from her son's hands, pivoting so she could look at him. Her heart shaped face was filled with melancholy. "After the battle of Flodden, I gave birth to handsome baby boy. I called him my knight. I called him my protector. I remember little Teddy before he wanted to be called Ned. He would toddle after his big sister and brother, loving them. He would beam at the babes in my arms. He was a sweet and gentle boy."

She then leaned down, grasping his chin, her voice as cold and brittle as ice. "I do not know you. For you are not the son I loved. That boy I remembered was good and kind. I do not know you, for you are no son of mine." With that the Spanish Queen strode spun on her heel and strode out of the chamber, her head held high.

King Henry directed his next words to the guards. "Lock my son up in his apartments. I thought his time in Ireland would do him some good. It seems I was wrong. His things are to be packed and he is to leave England by the next fortnight. I care not where he goes as long as he is out of my sight!"

"Father, please!" Edward called, sounding broken. "I am your son! I am your heir. I should be the next ruler of England. Not the weak spawn of my worthless brother! It should be me!"

King Henry lashed out with his fist before stomping out of the chamber, undoubtedly to follow his wife. The guards lifted a now bleeding Edward up by his armpits. The Duke of York's gaze flickered around the room, until he found John. His blue orbs blazed with fury and promise, but there a glimmer of something else.

A memory flashed in John's mind.

"Harry started it, but I'm the one in trouble!" Ned cried, angry tears flowing down his cheeks. "It's not fair!"

"You shouldn't have shoved him," John admonished. Technically Ned had been sent here without dinner, but John had felt sorry for him and nabbed a few pastries from the kitchen to share with his brother.

"He called me the spare," Ned snapped. "He knows I hate it when he calls me that. But because it is the truth, he never gets punished. If he so much has a sniffle everyone drops everything to take care of him. I hate how everyone cares about him and not me."

"That's not true!" John assured him, placing his hand on his shoulder. "I care about you."

"But if it came between me or him, who would you choose?"

John fell silent, unsure how to answer. "Do I have to pick a side?"

"Of course, you do," Edward insisted. "If Hal and I were fighting, who would you choose?"

"Neither of you. I'd just get Elizabeth to get you to stop!" John proclaimed. He knew his big sister could get everyone to behave themselves.

Edward scowled and pushed him off the bed. "You're just like everyone else. You don't really care about me. If you did, you would support me."

John rubbed his head, looking up at his brooding brother who was hugging his knees to his chest. He felt a twinge of sorrow for him. "I'll support you, Ned. I always will."

Edward glanced down at him, his tear filled eyes filled with hope. "You mean that, Johnny?"

The Duke of Somerset nodded. "I swear I will." After all, supporting Edward, didn't mean going against Hal.

Last edited:
Oh dear Edward, what have you done?

"She then leaned down, grasping his chin, her voice as cold and brittle as ice." - great line there. This moment will be a core bit of any Queen Katherine play/book/movie.

Best thign you can do for him John is get him out of Henry's sight. Time for a New World trip for Edward perhaps?