WI: All of Anne Boleyn's pregnacies came to term

1535 part 2
In return for their cooperation, Lady Mary and her mother are given their own estate in Hudson. For the next few years, the ladies would spend their days away from court, fading in the background as England moved on without them. However, they would soon find they were still in the thick of it.

As he awaits his dukedom (any day now), Thomas Boleyn is happy to be presented with his grandson---although he is a bit annoyed when George announces the name: Mark Boleyn.

Just when everyone is certain that Anne cannot fall, she and the King get into a dreadful argument. Anne was not pleased about Cromwell's dealings with the monasteries, believing that he is using the reformation for momentary gain. Henry, who is quite happy with the amount of money from the church lands that are now in his coffers, scolds her for speaking so rudely to his advisors, telling it is not her place to comment on the conduct of his councilors. The argument only worsens when Anne protests quite loudly to Cromwell's suggestion of the newborn Princess Joanna as a potential bride for Prince Ambrose, beliving a French princess or a Danish Princess, or a Swedish Princess or a German Princess---basically anyone, but a Hapsburg Princess---would have been a better choice.

The argument ends with Anne deciding to make an impromptu visit at Hatfield alone to see her children. When she returns, her relations with the king are still strained. Learning she is pregnant for the fourth time does nothing to repair the couple's relationship. This becomes reddily appearent when King Henry decides that Anne needs a new lady and oh look at that, John Seymour has a blonde haired daughter who would fit the bill just perfectly.

Last edited:
Since Anne is in no danger of being replaced (losing favor != replaced) after she has a living son, how would she react to Jane's (or one of her sisters, for a change) arrival? Henry himself would probably treat Jane (or her sister) as a mistress rather than a replacement wife, because despite his current dislike of Anne, she did do what she promised. He will not bastardize his trueborn son and heir for any woman (if Katherine of Aragon's sons had survived, Anne would not be anything other than a mistress for Henry), no matter what he thinks of his mother. If the Seymours are smart, they will reap the royal favors and try not to get greedy. If not...

Anne is untouchable insofar as her position goes, but it only makes sense that she and Henry would fight occasionally. They're both too strong-willed not to. Joanna is an excellent match for Prince Ambrose, although I'm surprised Charles wants to wed his daughter to a boy born while his father is excommunicate (unless this hasn't happened ITTL?) Purely for that fact, I'm with Anne and think a Princess of Denmark is a more logical match, but I'll go with the imperial match if that's what you want. Looking forward to more - I love Anne-friendly stories!

Why not Mary, Queen of Scots? It's just 8 years of difference and Elizabeth is bethroded to Charles of France who is 11 years older than her. Besides, England might have a PU over Scotland soon if anything remotely resembling OTL happens. Though what I'm most curious about will be how Ambrose approaches the Irish once he is old enough to participate in politics.

Why not Mary, Queen of Scots? It's just 8 years of difference and Elizabeth is bethroded to Charles of France who is 11 years older than her. Besides, England might have a PU over Scotland soon if anything remotely resembling OTL happens. Though what I'm most curious about will be how Ambrose approaches the Irish once he is old enough to participate in politics.
Yes, Mary of Scotland, if she is still born and heiress of her father (and butterflies can very well change both things) would be the natural choice as bride for Ambrose (like she was the obvious choice as bride for Edward VI for Henry VIII, only Scotland do not liked that prospective at all).
Right now an engagement to Joanna (or better to one of her Austrian cousins as Ferdinand has a lot of daughters) is pretty likely and plausible

Yes, Mary of Scotland, if she is still born and heiress of her father (and butterflies can very well change both things) would be the natural choice as bride for Ambrose (like she was the obvious choice as bride for Edward VI for Henry VIII, only Scotland do not liked that prospective at all).
Right now an engagement to Joanna (or better to one of her Austrian cousins as Ferdinand has a lot of daughters) is pretty likely and plausible

But haven't Henry and the court become pro-Protestanism at this point? Won't Henry be afraid an Austrian match would make his son to lean towards Catholicism? France is one thing since they aren't hardliners Catholic iirc, but Austria is a different beast altogether. Add in the fact that Henry is still, well, excommunicated.

But haven't Henry and the court become pro-Protestanism at this point? Won't Henry be afraid an Austrian match would make his son to lean towards Catholicism? France is one thing since they aren't hardliners Catholic iirc, but Austria is a different beast altogether. Add in the fact that Henry is still, well, excommunicated.
Well for that reason also Austria would be better than Spain as I was arguing who that match would be more likely than one with Joanna of Spain but both Henry VIII and Charles V were pretty interested in matching their children

Ferdinand I and his son Maximilian were relatively tolerant - must remember that Ferdinand’s daughter Maria married the Duke of Jülich-Cleves-Berg, a man who was hardly the epitome a devout Catholic and gave his children with Maria a Lutheran education. Also, IIRC Henry VIII was never particularly strongly Protestant. His religious views have usually been encapsulated as ‘Catholicism without the Pope’. His kids with Anne may be another story, but at this point Henry is not at all against alliance with Catholic powers or marrying any of his kids to a Catholic.

Ferdinand I and his son Maximilian were relatively tolerant - must remember that Ferdinand’s daughter Maria married the Duke of Jülich-Cleves-Berg, a man who was hardly the epitome a devout Catholic and gave his children with Maria a Lutheran education. Also, IIRC Henry VIII was never particularly strongly Protestant. His religious views have usually been encapsulated as ‘Catholicism without the Pope’. His kids with Anne may be another story, but at this point Henry is not at all against alliance with Catholic powers or marrying any of his kids to a Catholic.
Exactly.

Interlude-because I haven't done one for this TL: a scence from Showtime's Tudors.
Anne Boleyn(as she places a protective hand on her belly, looking out the window at her husband strolling the gardens with Jane ): I can practically hear Katherine and Mary cackling like witches. I have no doubt they are relishing this, believing it is my just deserts.

George Boleyn: They can cackle all they like. After all, to win the King, all you had to do was contend with the Catholic Church and the Holy Roman Emperor. Mistress Seymour's obstacle is much more difficult to get over: a healthy Prince of Wales. (When his sister doesn't say anything, he sighs). Come away from the window, Anne. Getting upset will do you no good. Once you have birthed a Duke of York, that silly chit will be forgotten.

Anne Boleyn(as she joins George at the card table): And what if I give birth to another girl?

George Boleyn: The King will be dissapointed, I have no doubt about that, but you still have a strong son in the nursery. Ambrose will be two-years-old soon and everyone says he looks more like his father every passing day. (He then smirks). Of course if it is a boy, Father will be expecting a dukedom.

Anne Boleyn(rolling her eyes): Has he not gotten tired of waiting yet?

George Boleyn: No, he is certian he shall get it soon. Staring at the King with eyes of a puppy-dog, eager for treats.

Anne Boleyn (chuckling): Perhaps if it is a boy, I shall name him George.

George Boleyn(eyes lighting up): Better yet name him William after Mary's husband. I'd love to see Father's face if you do that.

Anne Boleyn(chuckles turning into full blown giggles): Oh poor Papa, we are vexing him so.

George Boleyn: Is it our fault that there are a thousand Thomases and we wish to be a little more original?

The scene fades away as Anne and George begin to play cards.

Last edited:

Ficboy

Banned
Well since Anne Boleyn has children she therefore doesn't get the ax from King Henry (no pun intended), The Other Boleyn GIrl (if it even gets made) will be completely different.

I'm certain that Henry would have insisted on his son being named after himself or Edward.
It would have to be Edward, since I can’t see Anne wanting her son to share a name with Catherine of Aragon’s son. And while I do think Ambrose is unlikely, earlier English kings also made some...unique naming choices. Notably Henry III and Edward III, in naming their sons Edward/Edmund and Lionel.

Last edited:
cool another Tudor's timeline consider it watched I've enjoyed them ever since I found Now Blooms the Tudor Rose by @Space Oddity. That was one of my favorite TLs when I joined the board. I can't wait to see what you do with this TL good work so far. Is there any Regal history in England were Ambrose is concerned. As an American I picture General Ambrose Burnside lol

It would have to be Edward, since I can’t see Anne wanting her son to share a name with Catherine of Aragon’s son. And while I do think Ambrose is unlikely, earlier English kings also made some...unique naming choices. Notably Henry III and Edward III, in naming their sons Edward/Edmund and Lionel.
The boy would be most likely Henry after his father, unless Anne do not wish to call him with the same name of his half brother (Fitzroy/Richmond not the long dead son of Catherine)

1536 part one
Katherine of Aragon died in early January, with her daughter at her bedside. She forgave her husband and Anne Boleyn for their many sins, beseching them to take care of her precious daughter, marry her to a prince like she deserves. Princess Mary is said to have wept for days after her mother's death, crying that she was now alone in the world.

Jane Seymour, the current fixture of King Henry, was determined to help the Lady Mary, in a letter to her brother, she wrote: "as others have failed that poor girl, it is up to me to reach out to her and try to reunite her with her father." At first Henry resisted, perhaps because he was affronted by Katherine's thinly-veiled rebuke or maybe he simply was still angry that Mary had sided with her mother over him. However, help would come from a surprising source.

Queen Anne did not like Jane, was still weary of Mary and was currently on the outs with Henry, so it was a shock when she also suggested to Henry that perhaps Mary should be brought back to court and maybe they should find a suitable husband for her.

With both his wife and his lady love pushing him, the red-haired monarch gave in and invited his daughter to court, making sure her half-siblings were at Whitehall when she arrived, just in case she had any doubts on who he considered his trueborn children.

When Mary did arrive, her father introduced her to Lady Jane Seymour first, snubbing Anne publicly. It was a move that had Anne's enemies feeling vindicated and they no doubt thought Mary would share their feelings. Instead Mary greeted Jane coolly and Anne politely, saving her warmth for her three siblings, beaming happily as she hugged them.

To celebrate his daughter's return to court, King Henry decided to host a joust. That was when things began to truly go downhill.

Last edited:
Interlude-Letters
Dear Dot,

Court life is quite splendid. I just wish I wasn't here as a lady-in-waiting to that woman. She is impossible. She is haughty, vain, selfish and constantly seeks attention.

I keep trying to get some alone time with the Princess Mary, reach out to that poor girl who needs a friend. She obviously can't count on that woman. Did you know that she had been trying to get King Henry to make his daughter a servant again? I heard her at dinner, telling His Majesty, how their children missed their big sister and perhaps it would be nice if they could see her more often.

Don't get me started on the way she flaunts that she has a son. She practically brings him up every chance she gets, talking about how clever he is and how handsome he is. It is like she is determined not let anyone forget it.

And then there is the way she treats me. She acts like I am a whore trying to entice her husband which is a fine thing coming from her. Queen Katherine acted with dignity and poise. She could learn a few things from her.

Oh dear, I did not mean to make this letter about her when there are more important things to discuss. Like the joust. You'll never believe it, King Henry said he wants my favor. I still can't believe that of all the women in the world, he would choose me. I will tell you all about it, in my next letter.

Your sister, Jane.

Your Imperial Majesty, greetings

I am happy to report that the rumors are true. King Henry is finally shaking himself from the whore's claws. This can only bring good news. Although I doubt that King Henry will give Princess Mary her rightful spot as his one and only heir back, I think he can at least be persuaded to put her above her half-sisters in the line of succession. I am certain that His Majesty's new lady love will help us in that endeavor as she cares for your cousin truly, not just trying to get back on the King's good side as Anne Boleyn tried to do.

The princess tells me that the so-called queen has tried to make amends with her, as if she could ever make up for all the suffering she wrought on your aunt and cousin. I do not know what she is up to, but it is clear she is trying to butter the girl up for some nefarious reason.

I have discussed with that corvid Cromwell about the marriage proposal between your daughter and Prince Ambrose, he says that the king is considering it. I did mange to get a glimpse of the boy, and I must admit that I am finding it hard to find a single trace of the king in the so-called Prince of Wales.

Your faithful servant, Ambassador Eustance Chaypus.

Husband,

Mark has learned a new word: no. He shouts it often and a lot. I think he must really be your son.

I am glad to hear that Her Majesty has taken her sister's advice and tried to make amends with the Lady Mary. Although we all know that Anne's son keeps her from falling like Lady Katherine, I think I speak for everyone that it is better to make a friend instead of an enemy. God knows you Boleyns attract enemies like manure attracts flies.

As for that Lady Jane Seymour, tell your sister that if I was not pregnant and away from court, I would gladly do as I did the last one, find a way to send her packing. Temperary banishment would be worth it. Additionally, did you find the fool who making those ridiculous rumors that I hate Anne and am plotting against her? When you do, please tell them that she is the one Boleyn I can stand, aside from Mary.

Speaking of insufferable Boleyns, how is your father? Is he still waiting for that dukedom. Perhaps when the Duke of York arrives, he'll get a clue.

Try not to get into too much trouble,

Jane Parker, Lady Rochford.

Mary,

Come to court quick. Something terrible has happened. The king has fallen from his horse. He hasn't woken up. Anne needs you or she might loose the baby.

George.

Last edited:
1536 part 2
King Henry had fallen from his horse, hitting his head and becoming unconscious, leading to the entire court to become tense. While Cromwell began to set up a regency for two-year-old Ambrose just in case the worst, the Boleyns cloistered around Anne, trying to keep her calm and happy. It was suggested that Elizabeth, Ambrose and Anne be sent for, to keep them at hand.

Hours later, the doctor revealed that King Henry's wound on his leg had gotten badly infected and they would have to amputate. Unfortunately, the king was currently falling in and out of conscious and they could not ask for permission. Upon learning of this, Anne ordered the doctors to go through with the surgery if it meant saving her husband's life. "It is my order, gentlemen and it will be on my head," she promised.

A popular story has Anne meeting Jane Seymour in front of the king's apartments and getting into a fight with her for daring to show her face when it was her favor that caused this grave accident. There is no evidence of this event actually happening. In fact, Lady Jane kept to the Seymore apartments. In her letters, she expressed her fear for the king.

Not long after learning of her husband's worsening condition, Queen Anne suffered a near miscarriage and would enter an early confinement. With both the queen and the king confined to their beds for at least a week if not, Lady Mary had to step up as the head royal, although regency duties were given to the Earl of Wiltshire, much to his glee. The royal children were brought to court, arriving the same day as Mary Boleyn who rushed to her sister's side.

As the days dragged on, everyone walked on eggshells, barely able to breathe. It was treason to imagine the king's death and yet there was not a person in all of England who wasn't thinking of it. The ambassadors sent daily letters to their masters, with updates on the king, the queen, the Lady Mary, the Prince of Wales, the princesses and the council.

The court was filled with whispers and speculation. The blame was shifted around. Some pointed at Henry Norris for unseating the king. Some at the queen for well being the queen, with dark whispers of her purposely wanting the king dead because she knew he wanted to replace her. There was a scant few that even blamed Lady Mary, suggesting that she had ordered something put in her father's drink to make him weak and disoriented so he would fall off his horse.

Finally when King Henry returned to his senses, having suffered a fever thanks to the infection, he learned of all that had happened. To his horror, he was left with one leg and a stump. "I would have rather died than be forced to spend my life as a cripple," he bemoaned. Despite his gowning animosity with the queen, and his displeasure at losing a leg, he didn't begrudge her, wanting to save his life and once he learned that she was confined after nearly losing their babe, he had a message sent to her, expressing his pleasure that they were both alive and well.

He then sent for Lady Mary. It is unknown what he said to her as he asked that they be alone. However, Mary left his bedchambers with a smile spreading across her face and happy tears in her eyes. He had Hal Fitzroy and his younger children visit him as well.

He lastly sent for Jane.