WI: Alfonso V of Aragon killed at Ponza in 1435

@Kellan Sullivan mentioned that it was planned. It was meant to solve dispute over Luxembourg.

Emperor Friedrich III, who tried to marry Marguerite d'Anjou, seemed to have a bizarre fixation with a Neapolitan wife. Alfonso had no legitimate daughters or male-line nieces available when Friedrich came calling, so he directed him to Portugal. Not sure why Fritz wanted a Neapolitan wife (maybe it had to do with undercutting Ladislas the Posthumous' claim to Hungary? Viewing the Neapolitan Capets and then their adopted Angevin then Aragonese successors as heirs to that claim?)

Emperor Friedrich III, who tried to marry Marguerite d'Anjou, seemed to have a bizarre fixation with a Neapolitan wife. Alfonso had no legitimate daughters or male-line nieces available when Friedrich came calling, so he directed him to Portugal. Not sure why Fritz wanted a Neapolitan wife (maybe it had to do with undercutting Ladislas the Posthumous' claim to Hungary? Viewing the Neapolitan Capets and then their adopted Angevin then Aragonese successors as heirs to that claim?)
Oh, well then Friedrich will marry Yolande or Marguerite.

But would Rene not care about it at all?
Pretty likely he will move between France and Naples if Isabella remained based in Lorraine. I guess Anjou and Lorraine (and a French match) can go to the second son Louis, while John, the heir, will receive Naples and Provence and will marry Isabella of Clermont (who is the biggest heiress of the newly conquered Kingdom)

Oh, well then Friedrich will marry Yolande or Marguerite.

Pretty likely he will move between France and Naples if Isabella remained based in Lorraine. I guess Anjou and Lorraine (and a French match) can go to the second son Louis, while John, the heir, will receive Naples and Provence and will marry Isabella of Clermont (who is the biggest heiress of the newly conquered Kingdom)

So he could still meet de Laval lady, couldn't he? Also, Louis marquis de Pont-a-Mousson died pretty early in Burgundian prison, would it be butterflied away ITTL?

Alfonso didn't really care about Aragon once he got Naples FWIG. He was more than happy to leave it in his brother's hands

Did he? It explains why he left Naples to his bastard son.

This is not very likely ITTL. He could as well fall in love with some noblewoman from Naples.

Likely he still dies young. Naples and Lorraine may be split later, between sons of John and his Clermont wife.
For what reason? Burgundian prisons for him here are pretty unlikely and that was the reason of his death.

Last edited:
Pretty unlikely. Alfonso V of Aragon established his seat in Naples after he conquered it, and is likely who Rene will do the same.
Alfonso didn't really care about Aragon once he got Naples FWIG. He was more than happy to leave it in his brother's hands

I am not so sure the same could be applied to René.

- Aragonese peninsular presence was a concept already thought and somehow deemed necessary even before Alfonso's ascension to expand and defend it's Mediterranean economy and hegemony which becomes a reality with Joanna invitation.
- (I can't not see Alfonso's Italian adventure and subsequently his permanent stay as his personal goal of prestige and grandeur and as a way to run away from the duties of his crown and his marriage. But that's me.)
- The whole operation is supported and the presence of the King in Naples, or rather his absence from the Crownlands, is justified for that goal: pacification and integration of the Kingdom of Sicily in to the system of the Crown of Aragon.
- He himself has a clear personal preference in staying in Naples, abandoning his wife and any possible legal heir, seeking in the end to secede his newly acquired kingdom from the Crown on the basis that it was his and not its. (Again, I could see it as him using his kingdoms as a way to carve his personal place in the world away from home.)

On the other hand René doesn't have such a statist goal in the Kingdom of Sicily other than personal prestige, dynastic right and as a source of much needed money. Moreover he got some amount of unfinished business at home:
- The King of France is his brother-in-law and his family made big investments on him. He is a prince du sang and as such is tied to the vicissitudes of the Kingdom. Being away from it would be ok and even better, if only it wasn't for the threat of the English conflict to the core of the realm.
- The English are still keeping part of his rightful lands.
- Without Alfonso, taking over the Kingdom of Sicily is only a formality, giving him near to nine years to come back in the french fray.

As such I don't see René forsaking being a Valois and his place in THE Kingdom, not in those years. His heirs and legacy in Naples probably, but him I would say no.

Last edited:
I think he was talking about Lucrezia d’Alagno and mistakenly believed she was Ferrante’s mother.
She is only three years older than Jeanne de Laval and was know as a great beauty (and she was without doubt both ambitious and smart)

Yeah, you're right I mistook Lucrezia for a Ferrante's mother.