WI: Alexander I of Russia was born a woman

In OTL, after a peace treaty in 1807, Alexander I of Russia and Emperor Napoleon became friends, being cordial with each other, and forming an alliance. This friendship lasted until Russia began to distance themselves from the French, and Napoleon invaded Russia. However before that, supposedly during this time, Napoleon wrote to his own wife, saying about Alexander I of Russia:

"If Alexander were a woman, I would make him my mistress." - Napoleon to Josephine

So here's an alternate scenario. Say that Alexander I instead of being born male, was born female, being known as Alexandra.

Now, this does change the line of succession, as due to Pauline Laws, Alexandra wouldn't inherited the throne. Instead her younger brother Grand Duke Konstantin Pavlovich of Russia, probably dubbed Constantine I of Russia ITTL. This could greatly alters the course of the Napoleonic Wars, including the Battle of Austerlitz.

However, for the sake of this bizarre and unbelievable scenario, let's say an battle equal to OTL Austerlitz happens that knocks Russia out of the war. IOTL, After the peace of Tilsit, Constantine became an admirer of Napoleon and believed in the Russo-French alliance. So, what if Constantine I of Russia proposes that Napoleon divorces his wife, Josephine or makes his sister a mistress? Then Napoleon meets Constantine's older sister, Alexandra, who soon gets along with Napoleon like the OTL Alexander.

In OTL, after a peace treaty in 1807, Alexander I of Russia and Emperor Napoleon became friends, being cordial with each other, and forming an alliance. This friendship lasted until Russia began to distance themselves from the French, and Napoleon invaded Russia. However before that, supposedly during this time, Napoleon wrote to his own wife, saying about Alexander I of Russia:

So here's an alternate scenario. Say that Alexander I instead of being born male, was born female, being known as Alexandra.

Now, this does change the line of succession, as due to Pauline Laws, Alexandra wouldn't inherited the throne. Instead her younger brother Grand Duke Konstantin Pavlovich of Russia, probably dubbed Constantine I of Russia ITTL. This could greatly alters the course of the Napoleonic Wars, including the Battle of Austerlitz.

However, for the sake of this bizarre and unbelievable scenario, let's say an battle equal to OTL Austerlitz happens that knocks Russia out of the war. IOTL, After the peace of Tilsit, Constantine became an admirer of Napoleon and believed in the Russo-French alliance. So, what if Constantine I of Russia proposes that Napoleon divorces his wife, Josephine or makes his sister a mistress? Then Napoleon meets Constantine's older sister, Alexandra, who soon gets along with Napoleon like the OTL Alexander.
First, Alexandra as a name seems unlikely. Since IIRC Catherine the Great chose that name for Alexander Nevsky rather than Alexander the Great (as commonly stated). Likely a daughter gets called something different. Either way, let's leave her as "Alexandra Pavlovna". The same argument can be made for Konstantin's name, since he likely won't have the "Greek design" inspired name if he's the eldest.

Then there's the matter of "upbringing". OTL Alexander was the product of being tossed between grandma and dad like a shuttlecock. It's why his personality is so "inconsistent", he had to learn how to tapdance between (grand)mom and dad by showing them the side he knew that they would like. You see this in kids of divorced parents where the parents don't get along and constantly swipe at one another. Kid learns to "hide" whatever their true opinions on a matter are, simply because to contradict/defend one parent is exhausting.

That said, Catherine's "deal" with Paul-Maria Feodorovna was that Catherine would raise the boys, girls were mom and dad's problem. So, Alexandra* gets brought up by mom and dad. She's probably more along the lines of Paul's OTL daughters (in terms of personality). So that can range from the "sweet" OTL Alexandra, the "angelic tomboy" Elena Pavlovna to the more fiery "darling Katya" and the "reserved, studious" Masha. (I didn't include Anna Pavlovna here, since she was raised entirely by her mother - along with Nixa and Misha - who wanted to give her kids an "equal" education to that of her late mother-in-law).

In all likelihood, Alexandra* is already married by the time of Tilsit - IDK to who, though - and Napoléon divorcing a woman of 44yo so he can marry a woman (likely another widow with children, a spinster would be regarded as "worse") of 30yo when there are other, more nubile options (OTL Ekaterina and Anna Pavlovna) available makes Napoléon look even more ridiculous. Especially since this woman would simply be the "new model Josephine" (but hey, at least he has a type :winkytongue:), since at the time of Napoléon-Josèphine's marriage, Madame de Beauharnais, was 33yo with two children.

"Alexandra" would still use liberal rhetoric but she won't be in power to continue absolutist policies in Russia. Naturally she will not create any alliance with Napoleon, as her brother will do this instead. She will continue to encourage her brother to reform, recruiting foreign teachers. War of the Sixth Coalition - or at least Russia's participation - is butterflied away. She won't marry Louise of Baden either, perhaps she could wed Archduke Joseph of Austria, Palatine of Hungary.

What about if Paul the first just has doughters

"Alexandra" would still use liberal rhetoric but she won't be in power to continue absolutist policies in Russia. Naturally she will not create any alliance with Napoleon, as her brother will do this instead. She will continue to encourage her brother to reform, recruiting foreign teachers. War of the Sixth Coalition - or at least Russia's participation - is butterflied away. She won't marry Louise of Baden either, perhaps she could wed Archduke Joseph of Austria, Palatine of Hungary.
Everybody's acting like Alexandra would still be in Russia. The average age of Paul's eldest daughters at marriage was 16. Which, since Alexandra* is born in 1777, puts her marrying at 1793/1794. Which means grandma Catherine is still organizing the marriage. She will not be allowing Alexandra* to marry in Russia, and she certainly will not let the girl have some "fanciful" notions of marrying for love. Likeliest option for a marriage is Sweden, but that's only if Catherine the Great doesn't put in the stupid clause about her granddaughter's Orthodoxy somewhere Gustaf IV can see it.

(OTL Ekaterina and Anna Pavlovna) available makes Napoléon look even more ridiculous. Especially since this woman would simply be the "new model Josephine" (but hey, at least he has a type :winkytongue:), since at the time of Napoléon-Josèphine's marriage, Madame de Beauharnais, was 33yo with two children.
Napoleon is not nearly so impressive when you realise the only women willing to sleep with him were desperate single mothers....

Everybody's acting like Alexandra would still be in Russia. The average age of Paul's eldest daughters at marriage was 16. Which, since Alexandra* is born in 1777, puts her marrying at 1793/1794. Which means grandma Catherine is still organizing the marriage. She will not be allowing Alexandra* to marry in Russia, and she certainly will not let the girl have some "fanciful" notions of marrying for love. Likeliest option for a marriage is Sweden, but that's only if Catherine the Great doesn't put in the stupid clause about her granddaughter's Orthodoxy somewhere Gustaf IV can see it.
I mean she could still be in Russia if she preferred to pursue a religious obligation instead but that wasn't likely...why won't Catherine let Alexandra wed a Russian husband?

What about if Paul the first just has doughters
Oh, THAT'LL be the shit. His mother, Catherine, cackling in her grave when she realizes he changed the law of succession to spite her and then he ended up looking like an idiot. Well, then he'll repeal the Pauline laws and let his oldest daughter succeed

Oh, THAT'LL be the shit. His mother, Catherine, cackling in her grave when she realizes he changed the law of succession to spite her and then he ended up looking like an idiot. Well, then he'll repeal the Pauline laws and let his oldest daughter succeed
He will NOT change succession laws without at least a couple of sons in the cradle (in OTL three of his four sons were already born, the last would arrive the year after the laws were promulgated)

EDIT: reading better the Pauline laws changed the succession from being ”by choice of the precedent Emperor/Empress” with a Semi-Salic law meaning who Paul can very well made either the same law or a simpler male preference primogeniture if he has only girls

Last edited:
If Konstantin is Paul's heir, Paul might well live longer since the plotters will take a look at him, compare him to the Emperor and wonder what the point would be.

Napoleon had an older wife the first time around, no reason to think he objects to age gaps
He will and in any case Alexandra would be long married at that point. Napoleon wanted a young fertile girl of royal blood as second wife as he was essentially marrying a womb for getting a male heir

Last edited:
He will and in any case Alexandra would be long married at that point. Napoleon wanted a young fertile girl of royal blood as second wife as he was essentially marrying a womb for getting a male heir
OK. So we have Emperor Konstantin, who was pretty garbage at ruling Poland, and also hated court etiquette. He also abstained from politics which he can't do as emperor...

OK. So we have Emperor Konstantin, who was pretty garbage at ruling Poland, and also hated court etiquette. He also abstained from politics which he can't do as emperor...
He was also the only one at the Russian court still in favour of a French alliance (IIRC) when everybody else was changing their mind after Tilsit. AIUI he only changed his mind when Napoléon started marching towards Russia.

He was also the only one at the Russian court still in favour of a French alliance (IIRC) when everybody else was changing their mind after Tilsit. AIUI he only changed his mind when Napoléon started marching towards Russia.
I mean...butterflies could result in Napoleon going nowhere near Russia...