WI Airlines Outlawed

WI in the aftermath of 9/11, the carrying of passengers for hire on aircraft was outlawed? No charters allowed either...

Well the tourism industry breaks down and ocean liners return as the main means of intercontinental transport...

Sorry, nope, just can't see it happening-at least worldwide. Even in the US I think the whole long distance transport network is based around air travel, the railway network is not set up to replace it (correct me if I'm wrong please).

In addition, the public would not accept such a ban, the inconvience to their lives would be too great. Governments would not agree to it as it would cause untold damage to their economies.

Possibly a ban on aircraft flying over built up areas, that might be possible but even then I have my doubts it would be possible, esp outside the USA.

Grey Wolf

Donor
swamphen said:
WI in the aftermath of 9/11, the carrying of passengers for hire on aircraft was outlawed? No charters allowed either...

It would not be possible to enforce a law outside the USA. If the US administration really wanted to do something freaky like this, then that's its business (though the case would get to the Supreme Court VERY quickly) but no one else would have to, or want to, enforce such measures. It would have the effect of making the US something of a ghetto in world travel. Few Americans would be able to travel abroad, and Canada and Mexico would become hub-links for travellers TO the US

Grey Wolf

Maybe not 'outlaw'

Even if you don't 'outlaw' it so many restrictions could be placed on it to make it impractical for some class of traveler, such as the casual tourist.

For example, what if the US implements security procedures that require every air traveler undergo and carry documents resulting from expensive and extensive background checks? This would eliminate all but the most determined air traveler.

How would Americans travel from coast to coast?

This is the question...bus and car take quite a while, don't they? And the same applies for the current train network. So either the US would pump some dozens of billions into a high speed train network, or they would almost separate the Western and Eastern parts of the country. Nice for the economy... :)

Nevertheless, I appreciate the discussion. Some OT: Since today, all travellers entering the US are photographed and fingerprints are taken. Welcome to Fortress America, Citizen. Please enjoy your stay. :) BTW, it is still legal to buy automatic rifles in the US, isn't it?

swamphen said:

As pointed out above, this wouldn't happen because of the importance of the passenger air transport to the national economy. For all the death's on the road each year I haven't heard of someone outlawing cars - and they would have a better case.

Also 'carrying of passengers for hire'? An airline doesn't hire passengers since if it did it would quickly run out of money. Airlines depend upon air travelers paying their own fare. I highly doubt that the everyday airline has enough employees to fill all its aircraft at the same hour on the same day.

In addition you are only suggesting the curtailing of the air passenger market, not that of the air cargo. So it still would be possible that terrorist may highjack an air cargo plane.

David S Poepoe said:
Also 'carrying of passengers for hire'? An airline doesn't hire passengers since if it did it would quickly run out of money. Airlines depend upon air travelers paying their own fare. I highly doubt that the everyday airline has enough employees to fill all its aircraft at the same hour on the same day.
I realised I could have phrased that better. I was thinking in the context of 'hiring a cab'. So - rephrase that as 'it's forbidden to carry fare-paying passengers'.

In addition you are only suggesting the curtailing of the air passenger market, not that of the air cargo. So it still would be possible that terrorist may hijack an air cargo plane.
Hard to do if you can't get on the plane. :cool:

swamphen said:
I realised I could have phrased that better. I was thinking in the context of 'hiring a cab'. So - rephrase that as 'it's forbidden to carry fare-paying passengers'.

Hard to do if you can't get on the plane. :cool:

'it's forbidden to carry fare-paying passengers' - so now the airlines will not charge at all and must provide free transportation? The companies will go bankrupt.

'Hard to do if you can't get on the plane' - I'm tempted to point out how stupid that remark is, tho I will just mention that one should never underestimate the capabilities of dedicated terrorists. I would suggest you look at Tom Hanks' character in Cast Away at the beginning of the movie. His character flew as a passenger aboard the company's cargo plane.

Since the impact on the economy would be too direly effected to even consider entertaining this idea, Congress wouldn't approve such a measure since it would cost thousands of jobs. Boeing Aircraft, practically the only major aircraft manufacturer in the US would be devastated.

sikitu said:
Some OT: Since today, all travellers entering the US are photographed and fingerprints are taken. Welcome to Fortress America, Citizen. Please enjoy your stay. :)

Big deal! We still have a backlog of people wanting entry into the US.