WI/AHC Prussophile/Germanophile Japan during Meiji Restoration

The Meiji Restoration was a time of foreign assistance in Japan. Much of this was indeed from Prussia/Germany, especially in the medical and military fields. But overall the Japanese would choose the British as their ally long-term, due to their naval power. I have a challenge for you, make Japan choose Prussia/Germany as their number one ally going into the 20th century. How do you think it would happen? What do you think will happen?

Might use some of these ideas for a timeline, I will be sure to credit you.

You'd need Japan in a similar position as the 1930s with an economy and navy large enough to contend with Britain along with an earlier German opposition to Russia.

Meiji Japan was pretty Prussophile - you can see that in their economic strategy, their constitution, their idea of the strong state, and their caution towards liberalism. While they admired the British as a naval power with a strong economy, the Meiji elite - excepting liberals like Prince Saionji - mostly leaned Prussian in practice and thought that Prussianism was a more appropriate model for developing countries that needed to play catch-up without losing their cultural distinctness or compromising the power of the existing elite.

For a full alliance, you'd need Germany to be an actual threat in Asia worth buying off. Maybe a larger navy and a better run on colonial possessions relative to England and France? Also a more hostile/less cautious England.

Meiji Japan was pretty Prussophile - you can see that in their economic strategy, their constitution, their idea of the strong state, and their caution towards liberalism. While they admired the British as a naval power with a strong economy, the Meiji elite - excepting liberals like Prince Saionji - mostly leaned Prussian in practice and thought that Prussianism was a more appropriate model for developing countries that needed to play catch-up without losing their cultural distinctness or compromising the power of the existing elite.
I fully agree. However how could this turn into a formal alliance like the Anglo-Japanese Alliance of 1902.

Seems a little difficult. The Prussians were rather focused on land, something the Japanese wouldn’t need to worry about as their own islands were unified, whereas with the British you can see an island country spreading across the world and want to get in on it. You might need to find a way to have this as a package deal, with the British supporting the Germans to the hilt or the Americans being in bed with the Germans. I guess it also depends upon any economic ties. What could the Germans offer the Japanese? Making comparisons to Samurai and Junkers is all fine and dandy, but a marital spirit doesn’t help out when trying to tap into international trade. I also can’t see the Germans even being close enough to help. Hmmmm.... Maybe find a way to have the Dutch be a part of the German Empire. That way they connect it to pretty much the only Europeans they spoke to for centuries and one that was respected for their skills in medicine, trade, industry, etc.