WI/AHC: Modern Russian Empire

As the title says, Imperial Russia survives into modern day whether it remained as a First-World country or Second-world state. It can be constitutional or absolute rule.

The survival of Russia under the Tsarist regime will definitely butterfly Communism in absence of Soviet Union. How would the existences of Russia under the monarchy would impact on the world?

avoid world war 1... or avoid Russia getting tangled up in it.

there is no reason for the Russian Empire to collapse, nor the Hapsburg or the ottoman or German Empires.

World War 1 ended them.. with out the war they would all still be around more than likely.

some might be different sizes or shapes but they would still exist. The war brought out the weakness of many of these nations and their systems, amplified and then ultimately tore them apart.

Russia was on its way to modernizing. Big nation, takes time.

Firstly we should remove Nicholas II. He was practically ruining everything what just was possible. Or give him brain.

Firstly we should remove Nicholas II. He was practically ruining everything what just was possible. Or give him brain.

Russia has the brains and people to industrialize but serious reform is needed to access all of it. If the war is eliminated or over by late 1916 a constitutional monarchy might be the most likely to survive with some sort of basic legal rights and protections for the populace at large. With that part over the inheritance of the throne would be a longer-term question, I suspect they will want to marry off Alexei ASAP and try get his heir(s) born so that someone from that line of Romanovs can potentially inherit the throne. Nicholas II is 50 in 1918, and granted there is longevity in his bloodline but he's more likely dead than not when Alexei has a son old enough for coronation.

Russia has the brains and people to industrialize but serious reform is needed to access all of it. If the war is eliminated or over by late 1916 a constitutional monarchy might be the most likely to survive with some sort of basic legal rights and protections for the populace at large. With that part over the inheritance of the throne would be a longer-term question, I suspect they will want to marry off Alexei ASAP and try get his heir(s) born so that someone from that line of Romanovs can potentially inherit the throne. Nicholas II is 50 in 1918, and granted there is longevity in his bloodline but he's more likely dead than not when Alexei has a son old enough for coronation.

Remember that Alexei had serious illness. He probably will die very young, years before NII. Alexei might even die before he can marry and get his own son. But this is not disaster to Romanov lineage.

Remember that Alexei had serious illness. He probably will die very young, years before NII. Alexei might even die before he can marry and get his own son. But this is not disaster to Romanov lineage.

That's why I figure getting him married as soon as possible lets him start making heirs. Nicholas could then rule or set up a regency for his grandson(s) and ensure his branch of Romanovs held the crown.

That's why I figure getting him married as soon as possible lets him start making heirs. Nicholas could then rule or set up a regency for his grandson(s) and ensure his branch of Romanovs held the crown.
Good luck trying to get someone with haemophilia to make heirs.

Good luck trying to get someone with haemophilia to make heirs.

True. Who want give his daughter to young guy with heretidary illness and risk that his granddon would get some illness too? And this daughter would be soon widow with small child/ren. No, I cant see any monarch giving his daughter to Alexei. And even in OTL Alexei was in bad condition already before his OTL death, altough probably it is partially caused by prisonment but still... I doubt that he would see even his 20th birthday.

So it is pretty sure that Nicholas II's brother Michael becomes next tsar if empire survives so long.

kernals12

Banned
Simple, no World War I, which Nicky pretty much started on his own by declaring war on Austria-Hungary. As for how the world would be different, in a word: everything. No communism, No fascism, no holocaust, no World War 2, no Cold War etc. And Russia became a constitutional monarchy after 1905. Democracy would definitely not happen until Nicholas II dies, probably some time in the 1940s, but it would eventually happen. It should always be remembered that WWI left the world FUBAR.

kernals12

Banned
Russia had been a constitutional monarchy since 1905. And there's no way Alexei will survive long, his hemophilia was very severe

Simple, no World War I, which Nicky pretty much started on his own by declaring war on Austria-Hungary.
Now that's not fair. Yes, you could argue that. But AH's ridiculous ultimatum and the Kaiser's giving AH a blank cheque are far, far better candidates for 'single action' responsible for the war.

Russia had been a constitutional monarchy since 1905. And there's no way Alexei will survive long, his hemophilia was very severe
Constitutional Monarchy? Well... Technically, yes. Said constitution was a minimal check on the Tsar's power, however, and not really what most people mean by that phrase.

kernals12

Banned
Now that's not fair. Yes, you could argue that. But AH's ridiculous ultimatum and the Kaiser's giving AH a blank cheque are far, far better candidates for 'single action' responsible for the war.

Constitutional Monarchy? Well... Technically, yes. Said constitution was a minimal check on the Tsar's power, however, and not really what most people mean by that phrase.
The Russians had no obligation to defend Serbia.

The Russians had no obligation to defend Serbia.
Well, if they didn't Russia would look bad since it lokedl like they wouldn't be able to defend other Slavs, and since they had already lost to the Asian Japan, Russia would look really weak to other European nations, which would be bad in an era where national prestige was everything.

kernals12

Banned
In exactly the same way the US has and had no obligation to support Israel. That is, in both cases, there was no formal treaty but there was a close relationship and dropping the smaller nation would have been political suicide.
The US has never gone to war with another country on Israel's behalf. In fact we were quite angry when they invaded the Sinai Peninsula.

He had one of the two less common types. And his prognosis was grim from birth but he survived into his teen years regardless.

kernals12

Banned
He had one of the two less common types. And his prognosis was grim from birth but he survived into his teen years regardless.
He came very close to dying in 1912 after a very minor fall. I don't think he'd be able to keep on cheating death.

He came very close to dying in 1912 after a very minor fall. I don't think he'd be able to keep on cheating death.

We can only speculate, certainly it is not a guarantee but the chance he survives would exist. And his sons would not inherit his concerns unless his wife were a carrier, I think the royal family would be *very* careful to screen as much as possible to prevent this...