WI/AHC: British adoption of APCs/IFVs in or before WW2

But brings up the point that an 8 wheeled Armored Car can do pretty much all that a Light Tank could do,, and the upkeep of ACs are far less than any tracked vehicle, even the US US rubber bushed track.

So in peacetime, that economy could get them built
And, if you're contemplating ops mainly in Europe, where the roads are really good & extensive, wheels are all you need most of the time.

MkVIIITankSectionDiagram.jpg

Mk VIII 'Liberty' 38 tons with 6 pdrs and a couple of .30 cal Marlin/Colt MGs
16mm armor, 6mph, and that was with a 300HP Liberty
That's a starting place, at least. (Thx for the cutaway pic.:cool:)

Driftless

Donor
The quality of colonial roads was why the army preferred the light tanks over armoured cars.

But maybe a 6x6 or even 8x8? Plus, a wheeled vehicle would more often be more usable in towns and cities, even with poorly surfaced roads. Steel tracked vehicles are going to raise holy hell in those situations.

SwampTiger

Banned
I would prefer to start with the Vickers Medium Mark I or II. They have front mounted engines and a rear door from the beginning. The hull, without turret has sufficient room for additional bodies. Raising the roof, if needed, is an easy change. It was tested in artillery, bridgelayer and artillery tractor versions. It will need a stronger engine and more armor.

Second generation on a lengthened Vickers 6 ton chassis, better front mounted engine engine, more armor and large box for the passengers.

It appears the only reason similar APC/IFV variants did not appear was money. Have a veteran of the trenches within Parliament start a campaign to ensure future soldiers are better prepared for war.

No reason you can't have both tracked and wheeled APC's, except will and money.

Tracked APC's for the Armoured divisions, wheeled for the regular infantry divisions (basically off road trucks protected against shell fragments).

I tend to prefer tracked APCs, but for economy of construction & operation, wheeled are more likely to be adopted. And something like the BTR-60 isn't a bad outcome.

Another thing to consider is that if you're going the colonial policing route, a wheeled vehicle isn't as inherently threatening as the tracked equivalent, even if functionally there is no difference.

I think a 6x6 or 8x8 with a Vickers .50 machine gun mounted up top would be sufficiently intimidating enough.

I mean i’ve stood next to a Bushmaster and the thing is huge, and it’s only a 4x4.... Admittedly it weighs as much as most late 1930’s tanks.

marathag

Banned
But maybe a 6x6 or even 8x8? Plus, a wheeled vehicle would more often be more usable in towns and cities, even with poorly surfaced roads. Steel tracked vehicles are going to raise holy hell in those situations.

Besides chewing up surfaced roads, early tracks didn't exactly have a great life to them: some only a few hundred miles before replacements were required.

That's where the US Tracks with Rubber tracks shined, several thousand miles life(with early pads being able to be reversed for even more life) and the pads were easy on all surfaces, Brick, Asphalt,and Concrete were not harmed.

Downside, besides cost, is that they didn't have as much grip

Was reading Spielberger HALF TRACKED VEHICLES- he reports 1930 track life for French Kegresse halftracks at 3000-5000km ; based on top speeds of 25 kph.