Wi: Admiral class carriers

What If instead of hms hood and hms PoW going to intercept bismark, two admiral class aircraft carriers intercept her what happens next?

Admiral class carriers as in conversions of the Admiral class battlecruisers? It all depends on their capabilities, the availability of aircraft and their crews (always a shortage then) and what they have to attack with and how many. To look at this we'd need more details.

Richard Welling did an excellent conversion of a Hood model

0a5f596fba0db22b38b49620e7445434.jpg

I'm nearly sure there was a Admiral Class conversion drawing on shipbucket but damned if I can find it right now.

Admiral class carriers as in conversions of the Admiral class battlecruisers? It all depends on their capabilities, the availability of aircraft and their crews (always a shortage then) and what they have to attack with and how many. To look at this we'd need more details.
I'm assuming thats what the OP meant. That being said, this presumably this POD means the RN has different approach to its development of earlier carrier forces. I think if they are going for these size carriers at this point in time, then that will definitely impact the available aircraft, crews and tactical doctrines.

Hood as an aircraft carrier sounds like something similar to LEX and SARA. Concur with Colonel Grubb the RN going for such large carriers so early is an RN that never lost control of aircraft design and procurement.

I knew i'd saved some pictures round here somewhere

On6FG0k.jpg

Hood_CV.jpg

Is what you're after. Basically the'd probably be the UK's equivalent of Lexington class ships.

A lot of ship but not as great a capacity as a purpose build as the shape is not right. Does however give you probably a single taller hanger so could have a very long life. One issue are the various naval treaties but if the conversion was on the slips so they were finished before, they might be classed as experimental ( but the chances are almost certain that the treaty would be different to OTL with a higher max tonnage for carriers. )
Probably the conversions would be done instead of the OTL Glorious class so its two bigger carriers rather than 3 smaller ones. Overall therefore it would be not that great an increase assuming normally no deck parks ( North Atlantic/Sea in winter would destroy 1920's aircraft if stored on deck ) . However the effect on tactics , bigger air wing , could be major.

Perhaps have the carriers in WW1 perform better - perhaps have Engadines Short type 184s do more than spot stuff - they could after all carry a 14" torpedo

Perhaps have 'Rutland of Jutland' put a fish into one of the German Battleships and his subsequant recon report allows Jellicoe to better position the Grand fleet and engage the HSF earlier

Rutland then goes on to become a major force in the NAS / FAA which remains under Naval Control and subsequant ops by the NAS / FAA including ship launched plane attacks on German and CP bases drive Naval Airpower thinking into the 20s

Perhaps Rutland remains a hero of the Empire and becomes the 'father' of Royal navy Carrier Development rather than beign treated as an enemy of the state (basically driving Japanese Carreir development instead) and topping himself in 49

I knew i'd saved some pictures round here somewhere

Hood_CV.jpg

Is what you're after. Basically the'd probably be the UK's equivalent of Lexington class ships.

That second image is by the late, great CanisD (DBredeis on the Yuku boards).

The FAA was challenged early in the war to provide enough aircraft to the carriers the RN had available. Two very large carriers added to the mix might mean air-groups are even more under-sized, or will be undersized for such large carriers.

When Bismarck and Prinz Eugen passed north of Iceland, they were hidden in a snow storm. When they passed through Denmark Strait, they had the ice shelf from Greenland to starboard and Hood and Prince of Wales to port. They had no choice but to continue on their course. With no gunnery concerns, they would be free to maneuver against any incoming airstrikes. As steamboy says in his first post, it depends on the aircraft availability, types and numbers.

My thoughts,

For the Two Admiral class carriers to be built and to have proper air groups would in MVHO require the RN to retain control of it's own shipboard aircraft in 1918. So a slightly different Smuts report in 1917 recommends an RAF controlling all bar shipborne naval aircraft. The RNAS will lose all it's land based bombers and fighters plus the seaplanes and dirigibles. Now it would concentrate solely on carrier and catapult aircraft. What ships the RN would sacrifice to build the two Admirals is a real dilemma. I suspect both Glorious and Courageous would get the chop!

When Bismarck and Prinz Eugen passed north of Iceland, they were hidden in a snow storm. When they passed through Denmark Strait, they had the ice shelf from Greenland to starboard and Hood and Prince of Wales to port. They had no choice but to continue on their course. With no gunnery concerns, they would be free to maneuver against any incoming airstrikes. As steamboy says in his first post, it depends on the aircraft availability, types and numbers.

And the fliers getting it right. I could just see them attacking Norfolk and Suffolk by mistake...and with a bit more bad luck than OTL, sinking one/both.

And the fliers getting it right. I could just see them attacking Norfolk and Suffolk by mistake...and with a bit more bad luck than OTL, sinking one/both.

To be fair Victorious's airgroup was a 'scratch' one that had never conducted exercises together as she was conducting a work up exercise combined with ferrying Spitfires destined for Malta to Gib which got scrubbed when it was learned of the breakout

In the case of Ark Royals airgroups abortive attack on Sheffield - they had not been warned she was there and were only expecting to find Bismarck and did realise their mistake

This would not be such the case with a fully worked up AG in a Denmark Straits match up

"Right, they're two ships steaming together, two twin turrets forward and two twins aft. Everybody got that?" I can just imagine it going something like that. A sudden snow squall hides the Germans, the carrier strike shows up just then and the only ships in sight...

As an aside, I thought it was Ark Royal's planes that went after Sheffield...

"Right, they're two ships steaming together, two twin turrets forward and two twins aft. Everybody got that?" I can just imagine it going something like that. A sudden snow squall hides the Germans, the carrier strike shows up just then and the only ships in sight...

As an aside, I thought it was Ark Royal's planes that went after Sheffield...

You are right. The aviators hadn't been informed that Sheffield was shadowing Bismarck. According to Wiki (Caveat lector) Sheffield was saved by the magnetic detonators failing.