WI: A White Rajah as Sultan of Malaysia

Credits to this thread for bringing the idea up. Also, bonus points if the title is hereditary instead of elective, but not necessary. Additional bonus points to be had if the religious and/or racial requirements aren't put on it (i.e. Anglo-Christian Sultan), but also not necessary.

The White Rajahs always fascinated me, and it's a shame it all came under because of one jealous queen who didn't take kindly to Islamic succession rules barring her daughters from the crown. But what if Rajah Charles Vyner Brooke and Ranee Sylvia got lucky with a son, say... Leonard Brooke instead of Leonora. Certainly, the entire falling-out with Anthony Brooke may as well not existed, but that still won't resolve Sylvia's chillingly lax parenting. If anything, any male Brooke heir by her might end up growing up as a debauched prince unless Charles Vyner and his council puts his foot down.

That aside, assuming the Federation of Malaysia is formed more or less with its OTL members, there's also the Crown of Malaysia itself. It isn't just an elective title, but a symbol of a Malay Muslim monarchy. An Anglo-Christian representing Islam in Malaysia would likely be a very sour point of contention, and the solution would have been simply to skip every Brooke due to be crowned until one of them converts to Sunni Islam. It's my idea for an eventual write-up.

As for my brief write-up:
  • Leonora Brooke (or any of the three daughters) is born a male, Leonard Brooke
  • Leonard Brooke grows up a debauched prince, despite the efforts of the Sarawak Council and Charles Vyner to tutor him on statecraft.
  • Japanese Occupation did less damage than OTL, reducing the cost of reconstruction. (This one, I'm not too sure)
  • Succession dispute with Anthony heats up, with the council preferring Anthony.
  • Hoping to exclude Anthony from power, broaden his appeal and maintain his lavish lifestyle without the burdens of statecraft, Leonard converts to Islam and accedes to Malaysia in 1963, after succeeding his father.
  • This... didn't work out too well, as the peninsular sultans still regarded him as an outsider, and worse, regarded him as impious. The populous and council also distrusted his conversion and generally wanted to stay independent.
  • In the end, the British and/or Malayan government, hoping to quell the crisis and keep Sarawak out of the hands of Indonesia, forced a compromise. Sarawak will still accede to Malaysia, but Leonard (or whatever his Malay name is now) has to abdicate in Anthony's favour. This had a two-fold purpose. One, it kept Sarawak in Malaysia, and two, it kept an unpopular, European sultan out of the rotating succession.
  • After many, many terms with Sarawak's Brooke Rajahs passed over for Yang-di Pertuan Agong, the first Muslim Brooke Rajah of Sarawak is crowned Sultan of Malaysia
Feel free to comment and point out any issues. I try not to be gamey with this timeline, so any help is appreciated, thanks!

I must say not many people can come up with those ideas. I'm not an expert on the Brookes or Malaysia, but the idea seems interesting enough.

That is a fascinating idea.

I recently read the Kipling story "The Man Who would be King" which reminded me of the Rajahs of Sarawak.

I don't know enough to comment on your timeline unfortunately - I don't know the details of the Malaysian system. Is there a religious test in the Malaysian constitution now?

I had always been curious why the British government turned Sarawak into a crown colony, I'd assumed it was for economic reasons, but do you think the dynastic issues were central?

That is a fascinating idea.

I recently read the Kipling story "The Man Who would be King" which reminded me of the Rajahs of Sarawak.

I don't know enough to comment on your timeline unfortunately - I don't know the details of the Malaysian system. Is there a religious test in the Malaysian constitution now?

I had always been curious why the British government turned Sarawak into a crown colony, I'd assumed it was for economic reasons, but do you think the dynastic issues were central?

Yea, I do think the Ranee's attempts at playing Game of Thrones was a main cause. Maybe not as decisive as the Japanese occupation, but it soured Charles Vyner's relations with Anthony enough for the former not to consider letting him ascend the throne when it matters most.

Basically, Charles Vyner Brooke couldn't afford to rebuild Sarawak after the Japanese occupation, and so ceded his life interest to the Colonial Office. Unsure at the legality, the British government passed the annexation act. Also, the toxic machinations of his wife in trying to get their daughter in the succession and tarring their nephew's name pretty much doomed the Brooke dynasty. Dealing with both these issues could save the White Rajahs, and may even allow them to remain independent. This also impacts Malaysia's formation, since Sarawak is a necessary component to offset Singapore's overwhelming Chinese demographics.

Of course, I'm just looking for a Kingdom of Sarawak within Malaysia where a Brooke is crowned Yang di-Pertuan Agong. It's not that hard in itself, but the key issue is that the Sultan is also the Head of Islam in Malaysia, which means you can't be the head of a religion you don't personally follow.

Last edited:
Yea, I do think the Ranee's attempts at playing Game of Thrones was a main cause. Maybe not as decisive as the Japanese occupation, but it soured Charles Vyner's relations with Anthony enough for the former not to consider letting him ascend the throne when it matters most.

Basically, Charles Vyner Brooke couldn't afford to rebuild Sarawak after the Japanese occupation, and so ceded his life interest to the Colonial Office. Unsure at the legality, the British government passed the annexation act. Also, the toxic machinations of his wife in trying to get their daughter in the succession and tarring their nephew's name pretty much doomed the Brooke dynasty. Dealing with both these issues could save the White Rajahs, and may even allow them to remain independent. This also impacts Malaysia's formation, since Sarawak is a necessary component to offset Singapore's overwhelming Chinese demographics.

Of course, I'm just looking for a Kingdom of Sarawak within Malaysia where a Brooke is crowned Yang di-Pertuan Agong. It's not that hard in itself, but the key issue is that the Sultan is also the Head of Islam in Malaysia, which means you can't be the head of a religion you don't personally follow.

Fascinating. For the record there are examples of nations having the head of their church belong to a different religion (the Hohenzollerns were Calvinists while the state church was Lutheran prior to the creation of the Prussian Union) and there has been one openly Roman Catholic Supreme Governor of the Church of England (he was overthrown of course, but he probably could have kept his throne if there was not a realistic belief that he planned to subvert the Church for the benefit of Rome).

Of course this would represent a somewhat wider theological divide although if I am reading correctly the Head of Islam is responsible for Sarawak as well as other parts of Malaysia?
Sarawak is primarily Christian so I would think that they would want an exemption from that. Presumably they would still be facing an expansionist Indonesia and a waning Britain but the Brook's still have a lot of cards to play - they are rich enough in raw materials that I would think that independence like neighbouring Brunei would be a realistic option.