(WI) A More successful Revolt of the Alfaiates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1798_Revolt_of_the_Alfaiates
This failed revolt in Bahia was quite radical for the time, with propositions such as the foundation of a republic, emancipation of the Slaves, Racial Equality etc., mainly inspired by the recent American revolution and Illuminist ideals. Sadly, a unlucky arrest by some soldiers led to the whole thing being discovered and the Revolt ultimately failed. But let's say they didn't, and the movement kept growing, how could they have fought in a war against the crown? could it spread to other provinces? and develop a "Pan-Brazilian" identity? What measures would a new Radical government take? What would be the international reaction? Etc.
For this theme, I will ask the help of @Aluma @Vinization @Gukpard @ByzantineCaesar @Caio79 @Coivara @dentista campora @Guilherme Loureiro @The Champion @unnaturalmilk , what are your opinions? Does this have a potential for a POD and maybe a Brazil Wank?

If it succeeded it'd be the best case scenario for colonial Brazil(save for maybe Kaiserreich333's Kingdom of Brazil concept)
However there's no way I see it succeeding
The leadership of the rebellion was a mere soldier, not a high ranking officer, and the group had less than 10 men who wanted to trigger said revolution by spreading propaganda - aka attracting attention from the authorities - which was bound to lead to this result(they get the attention, they get executed)
It wasnt practical at all, and unless Portugal simply gives up on Brazil for economical reasons even if they managed to pull of a popular rebellion it'd receive the "Pernambuco treatment" because none of them were professionals at all
Now if a ASB hyped them up for some reason and they won then yes, an abolitionist and multicultural Brazil/Pan-Brazilian Bahia would be a huge wank

I think they had a better chance of succeeding than the Inconfidência Mineira did, if only because they're on a better spot to receive potential foreign aid. At the same time, however, Salvador is both exposed to naval attack and can be cut off with little difficulty, since it's located at the tip of a peninsula. The most likely scenario, in my view, is that they capture Salvador by surprise, fail to spread into the Recôncavo (hinterland) before the Portuguese authorities set up proper defenses, and are slowly starved into submission by a blockade carried out through land and sea.

If the rebels somehow manage to take the Recôncavo, though... things will get ugly, that much is certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.