WI: A Major Majority in '92

Inspired by a TL about a different Labour Leadership in the late 80s, what if Labour indulges itself with another "No compromise with the electorate" leader and John Major is able to win the 1992 election with a decent majority, say 50 odd rather than his narrow OTL win. I think it would take a minor miracle to win in 1997 regardless, but he has got 5 years, a bit more prestige, a more convincing mandate and a workable majority. Being less at the mercy of a handful of rebels is there anything he can/would do differently?

"No compromise with the electorate" leader
The question would be who? Benn ain’t around or anything so who would it be. I would say if you want the possibility of a more defined Major majority I would say John Smith is a good bet (he considered couping Kinnock in the late 80s) if he continues to pursue the “Higher Taxes to fund Projects” angle. Probably strangle New Labour in it’s crib, probably get a Prescott leadership or something by ‘97.
Being less at the mercy of a handful of rebels is there anything he can/would do differently?
Expect closer relationship with Europe and attempts to pursue NeoLiberal/Libertarian ideas on worker management and stuff. Also reform of the Welfare State is probable.

If the POD is a more loony left Labour, the result of that would be a slowly shrinking Labour share of the vote, and a growing share of the vote for whatever the center party would be (the Liberal Democrats in the form they took would be somewhat butterflied), including continuous defections from Labour to the center party or even the Tories. It would be a matter of the older Labour voters dying off. Eventually the center party, including some of the OTL Blair ministers if not Blair himself, wins.

In this scenario, corruption is probably more of a problem with the Tories because they will have several elections where they are guaranteed to win without having to be particularly popular. The entire Major government might be butterflied away, since a good deal of the reason to replace Thatcher in 1990 was that after the poll tax flopped, the Tories were worried about losing. ITTL losing in 1991 or 1992 would not be seen as a possibility.

The question would be who? Benn ain’t around or anything so who would it be. I would say if you want the possibility of a more defined Major majority I would say John Smith is a good bet (he considered couping Kinnock in the late 80s) if he continues to pursue the “Higher Taxes to fund Projects” angle. Probably strangle New Labour in it’s crib, probably get a Prescott leadership or something by ‘97.
Livingstone? He at least seemed to have an element of pragmatism about him. Prescott also seems like someone who could lead Labour to a worse defeat in '92 without totally destroying the party. The question is how you get either of them as leader by then.

Last edited: