WI: A daughter for Charles II of England

William's family connection to *Elizabeth is no closer than it was to Mary OTL. A William & *Mary joint rule without the Glorious Revolution is actually an interesting concept in its self; how does English constitutionalism evolve without that particular precedent?

Whoever she marries, she will definitely be raised Protestant (as Mary and Anne were, despite having Catholic parents). Charles II was not stupid, well aware of the anti-Catholic sentiments of his kingdoms, and had a very clear memory of what happened to his dad when he ticked off enough people. By the time Charles dies she probably has her religious identity more or less established, barring a true conversion.

That many surviving kids does seem possibly a bit much; the Stuarts don't seem to have had much luck at producing kids OTL (Charles II had tons of bastards, but not that many with any particular woman, and of course he didn't have to deal with the associated health risks).

I would go strongly with Princess Elizabeth. A catholic Mary could lead to many remembering the legacies of both Mary I and her ancestor, Mary, Queen of Scots.

Other options I though could be:
- Henrietta. After her grandmother, Henrietta Maria of France and her aunt, Henrietta, Duchess of Orléans. It could also be linked to the strong masculine name of Henry.
- Charlotte. Feminine version of Charles, after her father and grandfather.

As much as I'd love for her to be named Henrietta, her grandmother didn't have the best reputation in England. Though it's possible that she could be named Elizabeth Henrietta of England. Elizabeth after Elizabeth I and Henrietta after her father's beloved sister, the Duchess of Orleans. It's not a standard method of naming though. Not in Britain at least.

Having two close catholic regents would the young Queen have a say if she is married of to:
- Louis, Grand Dauphin
- King Charles II of Spain
- Philippe II, Duke of Orléans

As someone mentioned above Elizabeth would likely be betrothed before her 16 birthday. And it would likely be to someone of Charles's choosing.

The Grand Dauphin would be a none starter. He's heir to the Kingdom of France and marriage to Elizabeth would ensure a union between Britain and France if the two managed to have children together. Which wouldn't be a popular option for anyone on either side of the channel save for perhaps Louis XIV though even he might not countenance it.

A Spanish option would likely not be considered. Both due to the fact that she's heir to the British throne and due to Carlos II being King of Spain. And the Spanish were dreadfully unpopular in Britain at this time. Plus, Carlos II's health problems would not have allowed him to have children. Nor would they have made him an attractive marital option for the British.

If we had to go with a Catholic option for Elizabeth it might be Philippe II, Duc d'Orleans. Simply because he's from a cadet branch and not expected to inherit the throne due to the presence and generally robust health of the Grand Dauphin. He's roughly five years younger than Elizabeth however and would not be of age at the time that she'd need to marry. If his brother the Duc de Valois manages to survive this would make things a little easier for such a match to go through. As Duc de Chartres he wouldn't be expected to inherit his father's titles or the French throne if things go wrong with the Grand Dauphin and could potentially be sent to Britain to be King/Prince-Consort alongside Elizabeth.

It's unfortunate that Madame's little Duc de Valois didn't live past his infancy. He'd have probably been a better option than his younger half-brother given his being half-Stuart and five years older than Elizabeth.

I'm really not convinced that she would be a Catholic though.

Not openly catholic. But growing up catholic she may wish to marry someone that is in their religion.

I don't think that Elizabeth would be Catholic either. Charles would have ensured that his daughter grew up Anglican in accordance with the people's wishes. Just as he did for the Duke of York's daughters. Charles may have waffled over the matter of religion in his older years but he would have ensured that his heir grew up protestant. The princess would likely have grown up separate from her mother and with a protestant retinue to ensure this and to soothe any of the fears at court.

To be fair however a Catholic husband does not mean that their children will end up being Catholic themselves. There's a strong likelihood but it's not wholly certain. If Elizabeth II/I is anything like her namesake she'll want to have some say in most things, including the religion of her children. And she won't be a pushover herself.

Plus at this point, Britain's rather used to Catholic spouses for their monarch's. It's not something that they'd like to see continue but they wouldn't put up too much of a fuss as long as their Queen's husband is kept from influencing politics and her children are raised thoroughly protestant themselves.

A closer match, could be her cousin, Duke George Louis of Brunswick-Lüneburg (OTL George I of Great Britain) whom again is a nice, safe, protestant Prince who is willing to come over and be a fairly stable consort uninterested in involving himself in politics.

Having influence in Government, he could arrange for the two relatives get close and hold the young royal family over a barrel, similar to other family members in normal families influencing their own.

This match while safe and protestant likely wouldn't go through. There also wouldn't be any chance for Elizabeth to meet George Louis at all given the matter of his uncle and cousin.

Hannover had plans to marry George Louis to his first cousin Sophia Dorothea of Celle. The marriage would have brought the family greater wealth and would ensure the unification of Hannover and Celle. As well as tying up any loose ends within the family due to his uncle George William having legitimized his daughter and thereby threatened the unification of the Luneburg territories.

Other matches include:
- Edward Hyde, 3rd Earl of Clarendon, was nephew of Lady Anne Hyde, Duchess of York, wife of Prince James, Duke of York, if James has a hand in the coupling.
- Philip William, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt, son of Frederick William I, Elector of Brandenburg and his second wife, Princess Sophia Dorothea of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
- Prince Charles of Mecklenburg-Güstrow, the hereditary prince of Mecklenburg-Güstrow. He was a son of Gustavus Adolph and his wife Magdalene Sibylle née Duchess of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp, a daughter of Frederick III

As scandalous as James's marriage to Anne Hyde was, I can't see Elizabeth marrying the 3rd Earl of Clarendon. For one, Catherine of Braganza likely wouldn't have approved of the match. Her daughter would have to marry royal. Marriage for a Queen would be different than that of a King. The regents (and Charles II if he were the one to arrange her marriage in his daughter's relative youth) wouldn't be able to justify marrying her to someone with non-royal blood. It would also bring nothing to the nation as far as royal marriages go.

The Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt would be someone to consider. He's a minor Prussian prince and a younger son. The only thing going against him is the fact that Prussia and most German nations at the time had little going for them save for religion when it came to marriage with the larger powers. This is roughly the time period that Prussia would begin making itself more powerful but they're still a ways away from becoming stronger marital options for someone like a British monarch.

The same would go for the Hereditary Prince of Mecklenburg-Gustrow. He's not a bad option overall. German, Protestant, and close in age to Elizabeth. The only con would be the fact that he's German and has no strong ties to any of the larger Protestant kingdoms save for some distant ties to Denmark and Saxony through his mother.

Over all, Britain would likely prefer to go with marriage to an established kingdom or to someone with familial ties to the Stuarts rather than attempt to wade through the numerous German statelets for a King/Prince-Consort. Or to a non-royal British noble. The Stuarts themselves tended to favor established families from the greater kingdoms to the German statelets so they'd keep German options rather low on the list of marital options for the Princess Elizabeth.

I understand the tension amoungst the common folks. With the effects of the Great Fire of London, three years ago still fresh in their minds, believing it was a Catholic plot, I think its not completely out of the question for the monarch to marry another Catholic. Charles is married to a portugese catholic, both of James's wife are catholic.

The birth of the Princess Elizabeth and her baptism in the Anglican faith would likely quell any such fears. Especially if Charles II went to the effort to give the infant her own household separate from her parents and filled it with protestants. She'd also likely grow up among the children of his protestant lords. And perhaps with the children of the more moderate catholic lords. But there would still be a strong Protestant flavor to her upbringing.

By the time she's of marriageable age fears and tensions might be somewhat lessened if her upbringing and education is handled smartly by the king.

William's family connection to *Elizabeth is no closer than it was to Mary OTL. A William & *Mary joint rule without the Glorious Revolution is actually an interesting concept in its self; how does English constitutionalism evolve without that particular precedent?

I know, what I meant was that William III was the son of Mary, Princess Royal which made William and Mary first cousins. I know Mary and Elizabeth would be equally related to William. My desire was to have Elizabeth marry someone she was less related to with the thinking that that would make her less likely to have fertility issues/trouble conceiving. Mary never carried a child to term and Anne was pregnant seventeen times and only her son William made it a little past a year old. I believe on Anne's part, she had gotten smallpox as a child and had health problems all her life.

As scandalous as James's marriage to Anne Hyde was, I can't see Elizabeth marrying the 3rd Earl of Clarendon. For one, Catherine of Braganza likely wouldn't have approved of the match. Her daughter would have to marry royal. Marriage for a Queen would be different than that of a King. The regents (and Charles II if he were the one to arrange her marriage in his daughter's relative youth) wouldn't be able to justify marrying her to someone with non-royal blood. It would also bring nothing to the nation as far as royal marriages go.

Agreed.

Hannover had plans to marry George Louis to his first cousin Sophia Dorothea of Celle. The marriage would have brought the family greater wealth and would ensure the unification of Hannover and Celle. As well as tying up any loose ends within the family due to his uncle George William having legitimized his daughter and thereby threatened the unification of the Luneburg territories.

Sounds like we're back to George, Prince of Denmark as the best option, then.

That many surviving kids does seem possibly a bit much; the Stuarts don't seem to have had much luck at producing kids OTL (Charles II had tons of bastards, but not that many with any particular woman, and of course he didn't have to deal with the associated health risks).

Fair enough. Let's knock that down a little then.

Maybe:

Elizabeth II (b. 6 August 1669; d. 1739) m. George, Prince George of Denmark and Norway (b. 2 April 1653; d. OTL 28 October 1708)
1a) Catherine (b. 26 March 1687; d. 28 June 1692)
3a) Charles III (b. 11 May 1689; d. 7 June 1762)
4a) Catherine Henrietta (b. 20 January 1691; d. 4 December 1773)
5a) Elizabeth (b. 14 February 1693; d. 14 December 1766)
6a) George (b. 8 July 1695; d. 11 February 1758)
7a) Sophia (b. 31 October 1698; d. 22 July 1775)​

I just want to point out that despite their nationalities (and religions) being a problem, James II OTL wanted both his daughters (who had been raised Protestant) to marry Catholics - Mary II to le Grand Dauphin and Anne to Carlos II. With them being slightly more removed from the throne (particularly more so if they have a surviving (full-)brother and even OTL with the birth of the Old Pretender), I wonder if Charles won't consider a Catholic match for at least one of them - provided that his own daughter gets a suitably Protestant match.

Mary marrying le Grand Dauphin seems rather unlikely to my mind, even in this scenario. Louis was betrothed to Maria Anna of Bavaria from the age of 6/7, plus England won't look too favorably on a possible future PU with France. Nor will France, I imagine - since the 100 Years War was fought to prevent such a union from occurring (well, sort of). Now, a match for Annie with Carlos II instead of George of Denmark (particularly if George is coming to marry Eliza II) could still fly. Spain was anxious to counteract the influence of Portugal in England. Of course, Anne's OTL pregnancy record and Carlos' infertility might make for interesting bedfellows.

There's also Charles II's opinion to consider. He didn't like the Germans. He considered them 'cold and bloodless' which is probably why there were no German matches (inspite of them both being the logical options for Protestantism) for his nieces. However, opinions can be changed. I personally, in spite of all the shortcomings, still like Friedrich August (either of Saxony or Hannover) as consort. Their Lutheranism is closer to Anglicanism than the Dutch Abortion's Calvinism. And Saxony being the Lutheran stronghold - August's later conversion notwithstanding - could swing the English populace in favor of him as a consort for their queen. Plus, Saxony has ties to Denmark, Sweden, Holstein, Brandenburg-Hohenzollern (through August's sister-in-law, as well as his aunt's marriage), and the Palatinate (which in itself has ties to England) by marriage.

Another option is that Karl II of the Palatinate has legitimate issue. Say Vilhelmina of Denmark dies before the marriage can take place - either he gets her next sister, the beautiful Ulrika Eleonora, or he takes another wife (his father was considering dissolving the marriage just before he died and candidates for Karl II were a princess of Mecklenburg, one from Saxe-something and another from Schwarzburg). If he marries and produces a son close enough to Elizabeth's birth, a Palatine option might be considered for her. If only because of the Palatinate's historical links to England starting in the reign of Henry IV.

I just want to point out that despite their nationalities (and religions) being a problem, James II OTL wanted both his daughters (who had been raised Protestant) to marry Catholics - Mary II to le Grand Dauphin and Anne to Carlos II. With them being slightly more removed from the throne (particularly more so if they have a surviving (full-)brother and even OTL with the birth of the Old Pretender), I wonder if Charles won't consider a Catholic match for at least one of them - provided that his own daughter gets a suitably Protestant match.

Mary marrying le Grand Dauphin seems rather unlikely to my mind, even in this scenario. Louis was betrothed to Maria Anna of Bavaria from the age of 6/7, plus England won't look too favorably on a possible future PU with France. Nor will France, I imagine - since the 100 Years War was fought to prevent such a union from occurring (well, sort of). Now, a match for Annie with Carlos II instead of George of Denmark (particularly if George is coming to marry Eliza II) could still fly. Spain was anxious to counteract the influence of Portugal in England. Of course, Anne's OTL pregnancy record and Carlos' infertility might make for interesting bedfellows.

There's also Charles II's opinion to consider. He didn't like the Germans. He considered them 'cold and bloodless' which is probably why there were no German matches (inspite of them both being the logical options for Protestantism) for his nieces. However, opinions can be changed. I personally, in spite of all the shortcomings, still like Friedrich August (either of Saxony or Hannover) as consort. Their Lutheranism is closer to Anglicanism than the Dutch Abortion's Calvinism. And Saxony being the Lutheran stronghold - August's later conversion notwithstanding - could swing the English populace in favor of him as a consort for their queen. Plus, Saxony has ties to Denmark, Sweden, Holstein, Brandenburg-Hohenzollern (through August's sister-in-law, as well as his aunt's marriage), and the Palatinate (which in itself has ties to England) by marriage.

Another option is that Karl II of the Palatinate has legitimate issue. Say Vilhelmina of Denmark dies before the marriage can take place - either he gets her next sister, the beautiful Ulrika Eleonora, or he takes another wife (his father was considering dissolving the marriage just before he died and candidates for Karl II were a princess of Mecklenburg, one from Saxe-something and another from Schwarzburg). If he marries and produces a son close enough to Elizabeth's birth, a Palatine option might be considered for her. If only because of the Palatinate's historical links to England starting in the reign of Henry IV.

What about marrying Mary to the King of Portugal?

It's true that Charles II wasn't too fond of the Germans. It's one reason I'm not too fond of the younger German matches that were proposed earlier. They'd be the smart choice of husband for Elizabeth but they wouldn't be ones that Charles would be personally fond of.

I can see Charles marrying either of the York girls off in Catholic matches.

Out of the two matches that you're considering, HRH Cecily. William of Orange is probably the most likely suitor that Charles would choose for his daughter. Though Augustus of Saxony would be one of the more interesting suitors to try for her hand given what happened to Saxony iOTL. He also has, like Kellan Sullivan said, a lot of ties to other countries, including the Palatinate which is one of England's allies on the continent.

I wonder if it'd be possible to have Karl II of the Palatinate marry Ulrika Eleanora of Denmark. Sweden wanted her hand in order to tie Denmark to them in alliance.

If Karl were to have a son relatively soon after marriage that boy could marry either Elizabeth or even prove a sufficient match for Anne. If the child were born in 1571 they'd only be 6 years younger than York's younger daughter.

What about marrying Mary to the King of Portugal?

In order for Mary to marry the King of Portugal you'd need to ensure that she doesn't actually marry William of Orange in '77. That way she can marry him after his wife dies in '83. Out of her and her sister Mary has greater chances of having live children as long as she doesn't suffer the same miscarriages as she did iOTL. I can see her being a good wife to Pedro II.

Catherine of Braganza wasn't disliked by the English and Portugal is a natural ally of the English. So it wouldn't be too out of left field for Mary to be betrothed to the newly widowed Portuguese King.

Out of the two matches that you're considering, HRH Cecily. William of Orange is probably the most likely suitor that Charles would choose for his daughter. Though Augustus of Saxony would be one of the more interesting suitors to try for her hand given what happened to Saxony iOTL. He also has, like Kellan Sullivan said, a lot of ties to other countries, including the Palatinate which is one of England's allies on the continent.

Yeah, you're right. William is a more significant match than George of course, having him marry a Stuart girl also consolidates his claim through his mother together with Mary or Anne's, but he's nineteen years older. He married the fifteen year old Mary in 1677 OTL but Elizabeth's only eight in 1677. Even if we go the lower limit of having them consummate the marriage when Elizabeth's thirteen/fourteen (which is still quite young frankly), that's 1682/3 and William's already thirty-two. Is he going to be willing to wait so long to have an heir? Elizabeth might not even conceive right away.

Also, when William and Mary were ruling, William was definitely in charge. Even if Elizabeth tries to stand up to him, she's very young and could easily be dominated by her older husband. It'll happen earlier but we'll see a lot of the actions William took during his OTL rule with Mary.Not sure Charles/Parliament/Catherine/James would want that.

If our Elizabeth did marry him and he died in 1702 as in OTL, would it be out of the question for Elizabeth to remarry? Male monarchs did, I know, but there might be less incentive to do so with a reigning Queen. Unless she had no sons yet or the living son died. Elizabeth's going to be at least thirty-two when she remarries then and less chance of successful pregnancy.

Right! Charles' first choice for Mary was apparently Louis, Le Gran Dauphin, b. 1661 - d. 1711, but he relented under pressure from Parliament to William. At that point Mary was first in line for the throne after her father. In TTL, Mary being further down the line of succession might be able to make a Catholic marriage IF Elizabeth makes a Protestant one.

Though Augustus of Saxony would be one of the more interesting suitors to try for her hand given what happened to Saxony iOTL. He also has, like Kellan Sullivan said, a lot of ties to other countries, including the Palatinate which is one of England's allies on the continent

So if Charles doesn't want his daughter to marry William or William's not willing to wait long enough for Elizabeth to grow up, I could see Charles coming around to Augustus of Saxony. Maybe he won't give Elizabeth syphilis. :closedtongue:

In order for Mary to marry the King of Portugal you'd need to ensure that she doesn't actually marry William of Orange in '77. That way she can marry him after his wife dies in '83. Out of her and her sister Mary has greater chances of having live children as long as she doesn't suffer the same miscarriages as she did iOTL. I can see her being a good wife to Pedro II.

Catherine of Braganza wasn't disliked by the English and Portugal is a natural ally of the English. So it wouldn't be too out of left field for Mary to be betrothed to the newly widowed Portuguese King.

That would definitely be interesting. I'd like to see where that goes.

And then for Anne, either William of Orange, if he's willing to settle that far down the succession, though his wife's claim would still be higher than his, orrr George of Denmark or

I wonder if it'd be possible to have Karl II of the Palatinate marry Ulrika Eleanora of Denmark. Sweden wanted her hand in order to tie Denmark to them in alliance.

If Karl were to have a son relatively soon after marriage that boy could marry either Elizabeth or even prove a sufficient match for Anne. If the child were born in 1571 they'd only be 6 years younger than York's younger daughter.

Sure, why not.

I wonder. Is it possible to have William of Orange marry Elizabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate b. 1652? Her marriage to the duc d'Orleans happened in 1671 but the POD for this TL is in 1669 so there might be a chance.

If Charles II were looking at Augustus of Saxony for his own daughter and wished to keep the young Princesses of York on hand for some other opportunity he could recommend William look towards the Palatinate. There would be a two year opportunity for the King of England to try and arrange a match between his young relatives and the marriage wouldn't take either the Dutch or the Palatine from England.

This would leave Orleans without a second wife but would clear up the Orange problem. I'm not sure if it would be entirely possible though given her family's plans. She supposedly preferred a match with her cousin but her family had by then had plans to marry her to the duc d'Orleans.

And then for Anne, either William of Orange, if he's willing to settle that far down the succession, though his wife's claim would still be higher than his, orrr George of Denmark or

You can always marry Anne to George of Denmark and thus leave Karl II's son, if he has one, to marry elsewhere. It wouldn't be a bad match and the two were quite suited for one another so it'd go over well. And you might get a few live children out of them.

You could always switch Karl II and Carl XI's brides around. For some reason Carl marries Vilhelmina. Sure, she's plain, lame and probably barren, but Carl's mom was domineering enough to force him to soldier on.

Whilst plain old snobbery and religion might lead Charles II (and his wife and brother) to want an impressive match with one of the great old powers of Europe - they also will want a husband who is going to be willing to play second fiddle to his wife, will not cause concern due to his religion, and will largely try and keep out of domestic political affairs. They will also want a man who isn't going to bring too many foreign complications in terms of difficult alliances etc. (i think that rules out a French or Spanish match)

George of Brunswick Luneburg - in 1682 the family adopted primogeniture to ensure all the Brunswick lands passed to George intact - rather than being divided between all the sons as in the past. In 1682 he also married Sophia Dorothea of Celle to ensure her inheritance passed to him. Even his mother admitted he did it for the money.
A solution to the Brunswick succession will be needed if he is in the frame to marry his distant cousin Elizabeth. However she is going to be only 12/13 when the Brunswick's are trying to sort out stuff and George is already married by the suggested date above (and the plans had been in the frame since about 1680 or so)
He also wasn't a particularly appealing chap by all accounts - one of his younger brothers might be a better match and would solve their bitterness over the Brunswick inheritance (either Frederick of Maximillian are the right age and it would appeal to their mother) - it would also be regarded as a politically neutral match.

William of Orange - even Charles II might not wish to saddle his daughter with a husband nearly twenty years her senior - there is the issue of the future of the Netherlands and the French are going to be very unhappy which Charles on a personal level will want to avoid.

George of Denmark is a definite possibility and was still free at the time Charles II might have been contemplating a match - he is a little younger than William of Orange and was in many ways an ideal Queen Consort's husband. The French will be in favour and Parliament is unlikely to object.

On ages - Mary was 15 (and at that point was high in the succession though not expected to succeed), Anne was older at around 18 and again not expected to succeed.

One note on the above assuming a marriage to George of Brunswick - Given the family record on pregnancy and survival rates - given the likelihood of diseases such as smallpox etc and the risky medical care afforded to the well-born at this period I think a survival rate of 8 out 9 pregnancies is very very high - I also think it likely that George would be away in Hannover at some point increasing the gaps between pregnancies.

I wonder. Is it possible to have William of Orange marry Elizabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate b. 1652? Her marriage to the duc d'Orléans happened in 1671 but the POD for this TL is in 1669 so there might be a chance.

If Charles II were looking at Augustus of Saxony for his own daughter and wished to keep the young Princesses of York on hand for some other opportunity he could recommend William look towards the Palatinate. There would be a two year opportunity for the King of England to try and arrange a match between his young relatives and the marriage wouldn't take either the Dutch or the Palatine from England.

This would leave Orleans without a second wife but would clear up the Orange problem. I'm not sure if it would be entirely possible though given her family's plans. She supposedly preferred a match with her cousin but her family had by then had plans to marry her to the duc d'Orléans.

Yeah, why not. Charles could steer William towards looking at other brides in 1669 while Catherine is pregnant but before Elizabeth is born with the logic that if he has a boy, there's less of an advantage to cultivating a Dutch connection through William and if he has a girl, Mary's lower down in the succession and he can marry her to a Catholic.

William, Prince of Orange (b. 4 November 1650; d. OTL 8 March 1702) m. Elizabeth Charlotte, Princess Palatine (b. 27 May 1652; d. OTL 8 December 1722)
1) William IV (b. 9 October 1675; d. 7 June 1744)
3) Mary (b. 18 April 1677; d. 4 December 1727)
4) Miscarriage (10 June 1678)
5) Sophia (b. 2 May 1682; d. 14 December 1748)​

Well, if Anne Marie Louise d'Orléans, Duchess of Montpensier is willing to marry Philippe, we can solve the problem of a second wife for the duc d'Orléans. However, given she turned him down twice, I don't really see that happening.

Do you know who else Louis XIV was considering for his brother?

You can always marry Anne to George of Denmark and thus leave Karl II's son, if he has one, to marry elsewhere. It wouldn't be a bad match and the two were quite suited for one another so it'd go over well. And you might get a few live children out of them.

I'm just a little confused about the live children comment. Anne married George of Denmark OTL and didn't have any children live to adulthood. Can you clarify what you mean?

Well, if Anne Marie Louise d'Orléans, Duchess of Montpensier is willing to marry Philippe, we can solve the problem of a second wife for the duc d'Orléans. However, given she turned him down twice, I don't really see that happening.
The problem here was 13-years gap between them, and the fact than she is 43 in 1670.
Among the neigbouring princesses of suitable age - Eleonora Magdalena of Neuburg and Mary of Modena are unlikely to marry anything other than their OTL prospects (Empress/potential Queen of England) due to their heavy religious leanings. Claudia Felicitata of Austria-Tyrol? Depends on how hot the cold war between France and Empire is.
And finally - OTL Elisabeth Charlotte was promoted by her aunt Anna Maria Gonzaga. She has her own eldest daughter unmarried before 1671 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luise_Marie_of_the_Palatinate
If for some reason Anna decides to pimp out her daughter before her niece, the second wife problem can be solved.

And finally - OTL Elisabeth Charlotte was promoted by her aunt Anna Maria Gonzaga. She has her own eldest daughter unmarried before 1671 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luise_Marie_of_the_Palatinate
If for some reason Anna decides to pimp out her daughter before her niece, the second wife problem can be solved.

Unlike Elizabeth Charlotte, Luise Marie's already a Catholic and wouldn't have to convert. Plus, as she was five years older than EC, it would actually make sense for LM to marry first. The French would call her Marie Louise, I'd imagine.

What if there is a dual marriage, Mary to Peter II of Portugal and Anne to Charles II of Spain. OTL the two Kings married sisters as a kind of rapprochement between Spain and Portugal. So may Charles decides to play the role of international mediator. Of course both Peter II and Charles II are in desperate need of heirs and Mary and Anne didn't having surviving children OTL so that could get interesting.

I'm just a little confused about the live children comment. Anne married George of Denmark OTL and didn't have any children live to adulthood. Can you clarify what you mean?

Ah, yeah. Sorry, I did mean living children. They had 3 kids OTL. Mary and Anne Sophia, their daughters, were relatively healthy when compared to William of Gloucester, their younger brother. One more so than the other. But the girls died after they and their father contracted smallpox. George was the only one who survived.

What if there is a dual marriage, Mary to Peter II of Portugal and Anne to Charles II of Spain. OTL the two Kings married sisters as a kind of rapprochement between Spain and Portugal. So may Charles decides to play the role of international mediator. Of course both Peter II and Charles II are in desperate need of heirs and Mary and Anne didn't having surviving children OTL so that could get interesting.

That would be an interesting scenario. I know that Mary has a higher chance of successfully filling the royal nursery, so long as she doesn't suffer miscarriages early into her marriage. Those severely affected her ability to conceive and if they can be avoided then you could see her having children.

But Anne might be able to give Carlos II a child or two. Though whether or not Carlos is even able to have children given his disabilities is up for debate.

Unlike Elizabeth Charlotte, Luise Marie's already a Catholic and wouldn't have to convert. Plus, as she was five years older than EC, it would actually make sense for LM to marry first. The French would call her Marie Louise, I'd imagine.
Maybe the required sub-POD is for Prince Edward to live a bit longer to achieve grander standing at English court/claims to Palatinate-Kaiserslautern so that his elder daughter is not "just" the Elector's niece who would be considered inferior to Elector's daughter for purposes of political marriage, but having some additional political value?

Maybe the required sub-POD is for Prince Edward to live a bit longer to achieve grander standing at English court/claims to Palatinate-Kaiserslautern so that his elder daughter is not "just" the Elector's niece who would be considered inferior to Elector's daughter for purposes of political marriage, but having some additional political value?

Would the Prince and his family have to move to London in order to achieve that greater standing in the English court?

Would the Prince and his family have to move to London in order to achieve that greater standing in the English court?
I think so, though I think that this still can make other marriages of Edward's daughters go as OTL, even though their father is granted a British peerage along with his elder brother. At least the Conde match - the Brunswick one is in the air.

What year would make sense for Prince Edward to arrive in England for this to work? 1664?

So we're going to have William marry Elizabeth Charlotte instead of Mary

*Elizabeth's going to marry Augustus of Saxony

Mary's going to marry Pedro II of Portugal (sidenote: is there someone we can betroth her to earlier who would die before anything comes of it?)

Anne's going to marry Carlos II, so who's George of Denmark going to marry?

Who's Kristiane Eberhardine of Brandenburg-Bayreuth (Augustus' OTL wife) going to marry?

Who are Pedro and Carlos' second wives going to marry? (I suppose not everyone has to marry here just because they did OTL.)

Anne's going to marry Carlos II, so who's George of Denmark going to marry?
This match is heavily questionable unlike the Portuguese one - if the York family has the same rate of kids surviving as OTL, the British bride is going to be looked down compared to OTL Imperial one, presumed more fertile. The dowry matters also matter.

August's wife can marry... well, some random domestic match, she was only important because she was the only one of right age of cadet branch of Hohenzollerns.

Regarding Edward - any time from 1664 to 1670 can work. If Edward is created say Duke of Kent in British peerage, in addition to his status of Prince Etranger in France, and it is known that the family is in good standing with British king, then Edward's eldest daughter may become the natural replacement for Madame once the first wife of Philippe dies.

Regarding George of Denmark - he's likely to stay single.