WI: A 20th Century Christian Fundamental State?

Define fundamentalist Christian state.

If you mean something like IR of Iran or even more radical, you probably need something like POD before 1848 or something like that. Probably even earlier POD.

If you mean only just it using very Christian legistature I think that surviving altough reformed Papal States could be possible. Some African countries too have good chances for that.
I'm not so sure about that... Fundamentalism, as in Evengalical Protestant, Pentecostal Fundamentalism, didn't really coalesce until the very early 1900's, with the Azusa Street movement in LA and the publication of "The Fundamentals" series... the roots of it of course existed earlier, but were largely considered lower-class sectarians and well outside of the mainstream of political power.
Post-1900 is really a time when nearly ANY near-ASB thing could've taken place... In the 1960's, the Shah's Iran was probably the last country in the Islamosphere where anyone could imagine a fundamentalist Islamic regime taking hold (with the possible exception of Turkey)... In 1948, an independent (and secular) Jewish state emerged, from what had been only a handful of Zionist settlers in Ottoman Palestine just a half-century earlier. And of course in the 1910's, no one could've imagined anything like the Nazis....
I think a Fundamentalist Christian state with a POD post-1900 is eminently possible.... problem is, where to put it... 🤔

(I find this thread interesting b/c for the headcanon of my long-threatened TL, I need a good "antagonist" to emerge, b/c frankly my imaginary world may be a bit boring... and I don't want to pick on the "usual suspects" in my quest for some bad guys :p)

Is it possible for a Christian fundamentalist country to emerge in the 20th century? If the answer is yes, where is it most likely and at what timepoint?
What if a Christian majority Libanon gets independence from France and somehow forms a clerical fascist dictatorship ?

South Vietnam under Ngo Dinh Diem was actually very much a Catholic version of Iran or Saudi Arabia. I don't know if I'd describe their ideology as "fundamentalist" necessarily, but definitely in terms of policy it was violently persecuting Buddhists (Vietnam was majority-Buddhist), promoting Christianity and discriminating in favor Christian and the Church, and instituting religiously-inspired social policies such as banning divorce.

Could Francoist Spain become more of a theocratic Catholic state?
They already had a pact with the Catholic Church and the Vatican. Opus Dei experts seemed to have a lot to say in Franco regime's domestic policy and conservative illiberal was had been enforced on the public. Even the country opened up on Tourism for money, Franco didnt like the fact that Conservative morals might be undermined by 'Western hedonism'.

I was about to create a WI like this but I never got round to it. The 2 countries I thought this could happen were Mexico and Spain. I went with Mexico but it takes too long to research a new thread so I gave up. Anyway I thought its not entirely ASB for it to have become a Catholic Fundamentalist state at some point, unlike anything we've seen in OTL I must add.

Maybe you could get something from the Anti-Balaka forces in the Central African Republic ?
Aren't they this Christian militia fighting a sectarian civil war against the Muslim Seleka militia? If they took over CAR, I'm sure they would be persecuting Muslims.

South Vietnam under Ngo Dinh Diem was actually very much a Catholic version of Iran or Saudi Arabia. I don't know if I'd describe their ideology as "fundamentalist" necessarily, but definitely in terms of policy it was violently persecuting Buddhists (Vietnam was majority-Buddhist), promoting Christianity and discriminating in favor Christian and the Church, and instituting religiously-inspired social policies such as banning divorce.
A major reason for VC support was the Diem persecution of non-Catholics

Baptists would have a hard time creating or maintaining a theocratic state. The focus on the individual congregation and responsibility of the individual means there is rarely a central authority to either be or police the government. Baptist groups tend to be more associations than governing bodies.

You also have the old joke. When you have 2 baptists in a room you have at least 3 opinions. Pretty hard to build a central authority out of that.

Baptists would have a hard time creating or maintaining a theocratic state. The focus on the individual congregation and responsibility of the individual means there is rarely a central authority to either be or police the government. Baptist groups tend to be more associations than governing bodies.

You also have the old joke. When you have 2 baptists in a room you have at least 3 opinions. Pretty hard to build a central authority out of that.
Heh, Baptist jokes....
Q: What's the difference between a Baptist and a Catholic?
A: The Catholic will speak to you when he runs into you at the liquor store.... :openedeyewink: