WI: 1940, French Government moves to Algieria

Lend Lease involved the US getting "leases" on bases in return for aid. If France was able to continue fighting what would the US have recieved in return?

Don't forget that France posessed an extensive colonial empire too, including Islands in the Carribean, the Indian Ocean and the Pacific, not to mention IndoChina, Madagascar and Africa. I'd imagine Uncle Sam would be very interested in Mademoiselle Marianne, even if it is only for her huge ... tracts of land :D.

Cheese? Monkeys?? :D:D:D

Something they often lack : a minimum of subtlety and wisdom :D:D:D

More seriously, about China, Hendryk is right. According to the annexes from the French site (note: I am sorry but my informations are a bit outdated. The english version is currently down), it is hinted that the KMT, being more efficient in the war against Japan and less prone to endemic corruption, will stay in power in Mainland China after 1945. It is also stated that CCP is not able to expand its control over Chinese territory and population during the War of Resistance.

Three possibilities :

The CCP is unable to engage in civil war after 1945, Stalin maintains his old pro-KMT policy and give minimum support to Mao (however, I suspect that, in such a case, pro-Soviet leaders like Liu Shaoqi or even Li Lisan would come back at the top ranks of the Party). CCP is marginalized and finally destroyed during the Civil war. Or it is defeated in the Civil war.

The CCP, purged from its Maoist elements, also loses the Civil War but manages to establish a communist "Chinese" state either in Manchuria or in Northwestern China. Taiwan in reverse or, better, "Koreanisation" of China.

The less radical elements of CCP leave the party and form, after the victory, a left-leaning populist,nationalist party with the leftist elements of the KMT (something like a bigger, and really independant, Revolutionnary Comitee of the KMT from OTL), which becomes the main opposition to the main KMT. CCP becomes the equivalent of the pro-soviet Commuinst Party of Japan in the 1950's.

Would the need to occupy all of France and the continued fighting delay Barbarossa?

Well, considering that a lot of troops would have to be used to occupy the all France, having French Government continuing fight from North Africa, safe Britain, it would be really hard to Mr. Hitler to launch Barbarossa.

I have proof. I have The History Of World War II. I got it for fifteen dollars when I lived in Maine. There were several chapters on the Battle of France.
One of them said that Petain wanted to surrender the French fortress city of
Verdun in 1916. Use your brains. Don't sit on them.

I read that Muslims secretly wanted France to surrender in 1940, so that the course of historical events after France's surrender in WW2 could eventually lead to the Iranian Revolution (France was very friendly to the ayatollahs) and could from there see the establishment of a Caliphate across all of the Islamic world.

I have proof. I paid a homeless man in Boone's Farm to write it all down as I dictated it to him. Use your brains. Don't sit on them.

Also
Type almost all your messages
With strange gaps
By hitting
ENTER
I read first about this
In a book about ISLAM
Which I totally read.

What is the basis for the widespread assumption that the Japanese will be discouraged from moving southward unless the French colonial authorities collaborate?

Resistance in Algeria still leaves the French military in a precarious position. It is still highly unlikely that they would be able to spare any additional forces to bolster the IndoChina garrison. With an army of 50,000 men, Admiral Jean Decoux was unable to fend off a Thai invasion in October 1940, losing five provinces. It is unlikely that the Japanese would have much trouble completing the job, particularly if the chance to make additional territorial gain was waved in front of Phibun regime.

About APOD, one thing about it that rubs me raw about it right from the start is the idea that a number of French colonies would go over to Pétain and the other collaborationists despite the legitimate government being in Algiers. That's complete BS. Provided that there is a legitimate French government continuing the war from the empire, no French officer, government official or colonial official will go over to Pétain, Laval and their gang. Doing so would constitute high treason, and would immediately invite a firing squad. That MarkBailey et al have chosen to do so speaks volumes about their ignorance with regards to the matter. Either that, or they think it makes for a "sexier" story.
Further, the Mark Bailey portion was rather histrionic. Really, rather childish in its depiction of matters, with more attention to emotion effect and drama rather than to reason.

About APOD, one thing about it that rubs me raw about it right from the start is the idea that a number of French colonies would go over to Pétain and the other collaborationists despite the legitimate government being in Algiers. That's complete BS...
That's a point... but the French team back when it was all still tied up in one FFO project wasn't any better: The axis always played as idiots; the French popping up to claim the glory in just about every single engagement the Frnech team could jam 'em into; the evacuation from France requiring more shipping than was avalible but just being handwaved as getting down just about flawlessly...

What is the basis for the widespread assumption that the Japanese will be discouraged from moving southward unless the French colonial authorities collaborate?

Resistance in Algeria still leaves the French military in a precarious position. It is still highly unlikely that they would be able to spare any additional forces to bolster the IndoChina garrison. With an army of 50,000 men, Admiral Jean Decoux was unable to fend off a Thai invasion in October 1940, losing five provinces. It is unlikely that the Japanese would have much trouble completing the job, particularly if the chance to make additional territorial gain was waved in front of Phibun regime.
A couple things to keep in mind about the Franco-Thai War

1) The war did not even start until after the Japanese invasion of Indochina.
2) The war was still largely undecided when Japan forced an end to the conflict via mediation.

As for the Japanese invasion of the Southern Resource Area, I suspect that the idea Japan would be discouraged has as much to do with the fact that Japan would not have access to bases in Indochina as it does with the actual potential for French resistance. Not being able to base out of Indochina will add lots of logistical complications to the Japanese campaign, and that plus trying to invade French Indochina at the same time as all the other operations might be stretching Japanese forces too thin.

Because without FIC in their hands, Japan is really too far to make any easy attacks on Malasia and the Phillipines. And if they do, its sitting squarely across their supply lines.
So they really have to take FIC first, whish while it probably wont take long, gives the British, USA and Holland time to reinforce and prepare.
Given the original plans were all on a shoestring, this very probably causes the whole edifice of the Japanese push south to fail