Why you (yes, YOU) should start using QGIS instead of Inkscape or GIMP (+ GIS mapping advice thread)

So I'm at the start of Module 3 of QGIS's online manual. It's pretty neat. Before I get deeper, is there really so much data online available to use? And if I need to use data that definitely wouldn't be out there (alternate borders, completely fictional city streets, etc.), how difficult is it to create or draw that data? Though from what I've seen so far, you can't really draw anything unless you use Inkscape or something then import as svg I guess.

You can draw your own data easily - the key word to look for tutorials is 'georeferencing.'

So I got as far through the manual I want to go, and I saw your resource thread. Wow, what a time saver this'll be. Using QGIS's original training manual and probably 18 or so hours of time I'd say I'm proficient. Not an expert by any means, but I can get around. And I can see why tutorials are hard to find, they're completely unnecessary since QGIS provided their own training manual.

Very glad it was helpful!

Crossposting from the map thread. Thoughts?
Bosna.png

No legend, etc., etc. but there are bigger problems here. Why does the ć character result in ? when rendered on the map, when QGIS can handle the character fine in attributes text fields prior to rendering? Why do the battles listed have "0" next to them as the date, when by the formula below I should clearly be pulling a good year from the attribute (see at the bottom for example, "1379" for "Battle for Ragusa", yet "0" next to it on the map)? How can I conditionally format the map so every symbology, no matter the layer, outside the green polygon gets opacity 0% (invisible).
View attachment 736293
The ? problem has to do with the encoding of your file. Try some of the answers from here. As for your labelling, I'm not sure without having a look at your attribute table but my guess would be that the data is coded as a string rather than a number or date, so using year() breaks it. Do you have two overlaying layers with the same data? What does your full label settings look like?

As for hiding everything but the green what I would do is use Select by Location to get everything inside the green polygon, then invert and just delete everything outside. Alternatively you could make a sheath polygon with Clip or the method @skozik detailed above, bring it to the top, and then just make it white to cover everything else.

Last edited:

Dagoth Ur

Banned
You can draw your own data easily - the key word to look for tutorials is 'georeferencing.'

Very glad it was helpful!

The ? problem has to do with the encoding of your file. Try some of the answers from here. As for your labelling, I'm not sure without having a look at your attribute table but my guess would be that the data is coded as a string rather than a number or date, so using year() breaks it. Do you have two overlaying layers with the same data? What does your full label settings look like?
Thank you in advance for any help! This is a great resource.

I did try georeferencing with the height map imperator rome uses. I think it kind of worked, but then when I tried to hillshade, the new layer apparently had every point outside of the extent of the layer. Even though in "Information" of layer properties I could clearly see a minimum and maximum value of 0 and 255 respectively, and an average between the two. Assuming I get the georeferencing right (I'm sure I will, I'm probably just doing something wrong right now), how difficult is it to find a raster map that converts well to vector. The two I've tried might have been too general/low resolution, or I did not do it right, and did not convert well. Is there a trick to, say, converting raster coastlines and other features into vectors automatically, without having to manually trace?

So "ć" is no longer a problem. I noticed it was working in the city name itself, but not the battle name. So I just copied from the city name attribute into the battle name attribute and that fixed it. I must have input it incorrectly originally.

In gathering label settings for you, I discovered my problem with the year. See below how it was configured. The formula at the top by Filter, is the correct year( "datum" ). However for some reason, in Value it's still filled in as "datum" = 'year'. When I was fiddling around to create the formula, I think that was one of the permutations I tried. When I got the language correct, it didn't carry through to Value for some reason. I fixed the Value field, and now the year is on the map.
1650782064169.png

Good to hear it worked out!

Re: coastlines and elevation there's no reason to be tracing or georeferencing anything natural unless you need alternate sea levels or sea reclamation or something. Just copy them from modern OTL files, like from DIVA GIS.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
Good to hear it worked out!

Re: coastlines and elevation there's no reason to be tracing or georeferencing anything natural unless you need alternate sea levels or sea reclamation or something. Just copy them from modern OTL files, like from DIVA GIS.
Thanks! Here's a second attempt at something. I'm wondering, how can I get my overall country-encompassing buffer to not "overlap" itself on the corners. If you zoom into the spot above the "R" of "Northern Rhodesia" for example you'll see the buffer overlapped on itself, so the layer is more opaque there. I just thought of something. Is it because the lines are separate vectors, and I should merge them before creating the buffer? I think that's exactly it.

South-African-Confederation.png

Thanks! Here's a second attempt at something. I'm wondering, how can I get my overall country-encompassing buffer to not "overlap" itself on the corners. If you zoom into the spot above the "R" of "Northern Rhodesia" for example you'll see the buffer overlapped on itself, so the layer is more opaque there. I just thought of something. Is it because the lines are separate vectors, and I should merge them before creating the buffer? I think that's exactly it.
That is in fact exactly it.

I've been working on an exhaustive QGIS tutorial geared primarily towards beginners, but as I add more lessons, I'll be able to cater to more experienced users - it'd be a big help if y'all could tell me how to improve what I have whenever y'all get a chance

I've been working on an exhaustive QGIS tutorial geared primarily towards beginners, but as I add more lessons, I'll be able to cater to more experienced users - it'd be a big help if y'all could tell me how to improve what I have whenever y'all get a chance
Neat! I'll be watching this. I will also add it to my resources thread if you don't object.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
What plugins do you guys find to be life-changing or indispensable, or just plain useful? There are so many, but I want to know which to focus on.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
I use Clip to Hemisphere for almost all my maps these days for the little orthographic insets.
Looks useful! And not just for insets, I'm imagining really good maps using them. I think it'll take me hours to wrap my head around the mechanics of translating to orthographic projections. Thanks.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
I use Clip to Hemisphere for almost all my maps these days for the little orthographic insets.
This map would have definitely been impossible without Clip to Hemisphere. Work in progress.
If you notice, at the eastern edge of Beringia there is a small vertical line at 180 degrees longitude. Beringia is one polygon, no matter what I try (merge, split to multiparts then multiparts to single parts, delete the vertices defining the line, etc.) I cannot get the line to disappear. Any ideas?
Also those two triangles overlapping at the north pole, but I haven't looked into how to fix that yet.
American-Lake.png

This map would have definitely been impossible without Clip to Hemisphere. Work in progress.
If you notice, at the eastern edge of Beringia there is a small vertical line at 180 degrees longitude. Beringia is one polygon, no matter what I try (merge, split to multiparts then multiparts to single parts, delete the vertices defining the line, etc.) I cannot get the line to disappear. Any ideas?
Also those two triangles overlapping at the north pole, but I haven't looked into how to fix that yet.
This happens because the Russia polygon is split at the international date line to stop it from breaking when projected in the standard WGS84. Reproject your polygon to the orthography projection you're using, then draw a little square polygon over the line and merge, then clean it up with the vertex tool.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but I've been trying to figure out Zonal Statistics on QGIS, and it's giving me a fair amount of grief. I attempted to use the 2020 AD, 30 arc-second version of this NASA population density data and it's telling me that OTL New England has 44 million people (when it should have 15 million). For reference, I used the "sum" function. Advice on this is greatly appreciated!

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but I've been trying to figure out Zonal Statistics on QGIS, and it's giving me a fair amount of grief. I attempted to use the 2020 AD, 30 arc-second version of this NASA population density data and it's telling me that OTL New England has 44 million people (when it should have 15 million). For reference, I used the "sum" function. Advice on this is greatly appreciated!
I’ve tried this a few more times, btw, each with an equally low level of success - I’m officially at the end of my rope here

I’ve tried this a few more times, btw, each with an equally low level of success - I’m officially at the end of my rope here
I'm away from my computer but I can try to reproduce this over the next few days. Can you tell me in more detail what you have done and what the results have been?