Why the Chinese play cricket (an Imperial Federation timeline)

First steps in reworking India to address the issue I've seen. Plus some minor polishing I came across while I was doing that. I think I've found a very handy OTL event in the assassination of Lord Mayo I can use to kick off change in India. Okay not so handy for Lord Mayo, but quiet useful if you're trying to rework the TL.

February 1871: Tsar Alexander II of Russia gifts the Zoological Society of London with three male and seven female of wild Tarpans. Francis Russell, heir to the Duchy of Bedford offers Woburn Abbey as a home for the herd.

February 1872: A small breeding heard of three males and ten female Quagga are established at London Zoo in an attempt to ensure the sub species survival. The Quagga will join the Tarpans at Woburn Abbey.

February 1872: Lord Mayo, Viceroy of India is assassinated by an Afghan convict during a visit to a convict settlement in the Andaman Islands. His death sends shock-waves throughout Britain and India, even raising fears of another rebellion. However an investigation proves the assassin acted alone and from religious motivations. The radical members of the Liberal Party prompt Gladstone to appoint a committee under senior Indian civil servant John Strachey to investigate social conditions in India.

May 1872: Gladstone appoint Thomas Barring to replace the assassinated Lord Mayo as Viceroy of India. Baring embarks on an ambitious program of reform in India, seeking to reduce taxation and improve the distribution of food to tackle widespread starvation.

July 1873: The Strachey report into social conditions in India is released. The report finds many Indians are dissatisfied with their participation in the administration of the sub continent. The report recommends increased Indian representation on the provincial legislative councils, opening the senior levels of the Imperial Civil Service to “suitable” Indian candidates, reforming the Indian Imperial Police and allowing Indian officers to advance to senior levels, and establishing a separate central Indian legislative body to replace the Indian wide legislative functions of the Calcutta Legislative Council, and the inclusion of an Indian representative on the Council of India in London.

September 1873: A drought in the Indian region of Bihar lead to crop failures. Richard Temple, Lieutenant-Governor of Bengal, fearing the possibility of widespread famine quickly organises an effective relief program, importing and distributing large quantities of rice from Burma as well as extensive public works programs to provide employment. Termple's program is a huge success, with virtually no excess mortality due to the famine, plus major improvements to infrastructure as a result of the public works program. The ration provided also all workers to remain sufficiently health to immediately return to the fields when the rains finally arrive. Despite his success, Temple is heavily criticised for the costs involved, though his timely actions are praised by the radicals in parliament.

October 1873: The first concrete measure from the Strachey report is passed into law with the Indian Councils Act. The act is an attempt to ensure Indians members are include on all legislative bodies in India. While the act simply requires that all legislative bodies in India “include suitable representatives of native opinion.” Despite the vague wording, the act will ensure that between 10-20% of the members of Indian provincial legislative councils are in fact, Indians.

December 1873: Vishvanath Mandlik becomes the first Indian appointed to th Council of India in London. Highly conservative in outlook, he only supports limited and gradual reform in India.

February 1874: With the highly effective response to the Bihar Famine in India ongoing, radical Liberal MP John Bright introduces the Famine Relief (India) Bill into parliament. The bill proposes setting a dedicate commission in India to oversee famine relief and finds widespread support in the house, especially with radial members, but is suspended when Gladstone calls a general elections.

April 1874: At the urging of Viceroy Thomas Baring, the Indian Legislative Council in Calcutta passes the Provincial Civil Service Act increasing Indian represemtation in the uncovenanted Imperial Civil Service at the provincial level. While Indians are still bared from entering the covenanted Imperial Civil which controls the higher level of Indian administration, the act does increase Indian participation in the running of the sub continent.

May 1874: Attempts to reintroduce Bright's Famine Relief (India) Bill are blocked by the new Conservative government, citing the excessive costs of the Bihar relief program. This will lead to the resignation of Thomas Barring as Viceroy of India and his replacement by the highly conservative Edward Bulwar-Lytton. Bulwar-Lytton will abandon Baring's reformist policies in India, instead adopting a ruthless policy in line with his belief in social Darwinism.

September 1875: Indian nationalists Sisir Ghosh and Sambhu Mukherjee found the the India League in Calcutta. The league aims to foster the growth of pan Indian nationalist sentiment and attracts a number of prominent members of the previously unrepresented middle class in Bombay,

=McUpdate=

Last edited:
A slight update to the previous Indian changes

October 1873: The first concrete measure from the Strachey report is passed into law with the Indian Councils Act. The act is an attempt to increase the scope of the legislative bodies in India. The act increases each of the councils from twelve to twenty members and requires that all legislative bodies in India “include suitable representatives of native opinion.” Despite the vague wording, the act will ensure that between 35-45% of the members of Indian provincial legislative councils are in fact, Indians. It also for the first time allows the councils to discuss, though not vote on, budgetary matters and transfers authority over labour affairs to the councils.

=McUpdate=

Last edited:
Next steps in reworking India. Sorry this is probably one of those “solid kicks in a britwankish direction” I was trying to avoid. But I can't see any other option. I don't really like relying on an Uber-Lytton to do this.

Plus I've added in a bit more Australia. I've effectively added almost 1.000 words to this chapter and should have broken it up. I may end up doing it depending on how my revisions of the next few chapters go. I try to keep each chapter under 2.000 words, but with these revisions, this one is up to 2,700.

February 1876: Concerned by increasing Indian nationalist sentiment in Indian controlled newspapers, Viceroy Lord Lytton introduces the Vernacular Press Act. The act effectively bans any indigenous paper from criticising the actions of the Indian government and allows for the imprisonment of journalists and seizure of printing machinery to enforce censorship.

June 1876: A severe drought on the Deccan plateau has lead to a serious famine in southern India. Unlike the earlier Bihar famine, Viceroy Lord Lytton has adopted a strictly laissez-faire approach believing market forces will resolve the issue. He has not only greatly tightened the eligibility criteria for relief, he has reduced it too near starvation levels. Consequently, the death toll is rising rapidly. After a series of editorials in Sisir Ghosh's paper, Amrita Bazar Patrika, rioting breaks out in Calcutta. Despite there being no direct link between the editorials and the rioting, the Vernacular Press Act is uded to shut down the paper and arrest Ghosh. Far from calming the situation, this will lead to further rioting and unrest, spread throughout much of the Bombay Presidency. The British will respond with a harsh crackdown, however this will only worsen the situation. Lord Lytton's response is to pass the Arms Act, essentially prohibiting Indians from possessing firearms.

July 1876: The pan Indian nationalist Indian League founders due to its leaders Sisir Ghosh being perceived as too extremist. However two more moderate supporters, Surendranath Banerjee and Ananda Bose, found the Indian National Association to replace it. The INA will strive to challenge the older British Indian Association for leadership of the Indian rights movement. The BIA, an all Indian groups founded in 1851, has long avoided direct involvement in politics, and predominantly represents the interests of the established Indian elites.

October 1876: With the death toll now into the millions, stories of the scale of the famine in India and resulting unrest begin to appear in the British press. These stories include prominently the fact that the Viceroy is orchestrating the export of hundreds of thousands of tons of foodstuffs from India the face of this tragedy. The Liberals are quick to seize upon this as another path to attack Disraeli's government. Despite the unrest, the famine provokes widespread sympathy with charitable donations pouring in. Queen Victoria herself donates an unprecedented £10,000, in line with her recent elevation to Empress of India. The size of the Queen's donation is widely and favourably reported in the Indian press.

February 1877: Former Viceroys of India Thomas Baring, Lord Northbrooke and John Lawrence, Lord Lawrence speak out against the handling of the ongoing famine in India. With public pressure mounting over both this and the Great Eastern War, Disraeli forms a commission under Lord Lawrence to investigate the situation in India.

March 1877: The draconian nature of the Vernacular Press Act has incited widespread criticism amongst Indian reformists, even extending into the Anglo-Indian community. James Metcalfe, illegitimate Anglo-Indian son of Baron Charles Metcalfe, responds by founding the Bengal Herald in an effort to circumvent the act. While the paper is entirely owned by British and Anglo-Indian interests and its senior staff are all liberal Anglo-Indians, the majority of its journalists are Indians. The paper will continually maintain an editorial policy highly critical of Lord Lytton's administration, but is able to narrowly avoid direct censorship. The paper will come to be the mouthpiece of the Indian nationalist British Indian Association, leading to considerable numbers of Anglo-Indians joining the previously entirely Indian group.

April 1877: With criticism of his administration now having spread to the Anglo-Indian community, Viceroy Lord Lytton is forced to increase the level of famine relief being provided in southern India. Most critically, the rations provided are increased, though still at a level well below relief provided in the Bihar Famine.

May 1877: The ongoing unrest in India, is creating a split in the newly formed Indian National Association between those calling for restraint and non-violence and those advocating a more direct approach. This conflict will lead to founder Surendranath Banerjee quitting the INA and throwing in with the British Indian Association. Many activists will follow him, for the first time bringing middle class representation to the BIA and weakening the INA.

August 1877: The Lawrence report into the situation in India is scathing in regards to Lord Lytton's administration. The report is limited by its terms of reference, only addressing the ongoing famine and unrest, but it finds Lytton has utterly ignored Indian sensibilities, grossly mismanaged the southern Indian famine, and brought India to a point of nearing an uprising. It recommends Lytton be replaced and a full inquiry into the administration of India be made. As a result of the report, Lord Lytton is recalled and replaced by Richard Temple, with instructions to “provide adequate relief for the on going famine and restore order.” Temple immediately increases relief efforts, expending eligibility and increasing support. Despite this late intervention, it is estimated between four and six millions Indians die as a result of the famine. Temple also immediately repeals the Vernacular Press and Arms Acts in an effort to quiet unrest. The government also forms a Royal Commission under Lord Northbrooke to investigate how the administration of India may be improved.

December 1877: The Australian East-West Telegraph Line between Adelaide and Perth is completed. Stretching 3.600km the line line will complete the connection of all major centres in Australia. With this, the Australian governments will cooperate to use the Colonial Capital Act to construct an undersea cable linking Perth with Bombay via the Cocos-Keeling Islands.

=McUpdate=

Last edited:
Hello,

This is interesting reading so far. Are there plans in the future to have a story-only thread of this timeline so that it consolidates it and any adjustments and corrections into one even-flowing storyline?

Hello,

This is interesting reading so far. Are there plans in the future to have a story-only thread of this timeline so that it consolidates it and any adjustments and corrections into one even-flowing storyline?

I always update the individual threadmarked chapters whenever I alter them. That way anyone coming in partway only has follow the threadmarks.

My plan is eventually to use the raw setting being created for storytelling, and retell the timeline in that format

EDIT: This map had an error, it showed the Serbians gaining too much territory. I've replaced it with a corrected version. It's in the very next post, so feel free to skip over this one.

One of the things I decided for this iteration was to try for more maps. Sadly, while I was a graphic artist at one time, I have a degenerative neurological condition which has reduced my hand eye coordination quite dramatically. So making maps is difficult and time consuming for me now. However no reason not to try.

So a map comparing the results of the OTL Treaty of Berlin 1878 (left) to the ITTL Treaty (right). This shows the only changes in political boundaries until at least 1885. The area labeled 1 on the ITTL map is Sandzak, like Bosnia, the Treaty placed it under Austro-Hungarian occupation.
ICW post Berlin Balkans.png

Image source: The outline of history; being a plain history of life and mankind, the definitive edition revised and rearranged by the author, by H.G. Wells, illustrated by J. F. Horrabin, "Map of the Balkans to illustrate the Treaty of Berlin, 1878" (Public domain)

Last edited:
My first effort at map making was a little inaccurate, giving Serbia too much territory, now fixed. I do want more maps, but I want them too be accurate :)

A map comparing the results of the OTL Treaty of Berlin 1878 (left) to the ITTL Treaty (right). This shows the only changes in political boundaries until at least 1885. The area labeled 1 on the ITTL map is Sandzak, like Bosnia, the Treaty placed it under Austro-Hungarian occupation. It's important to remember at this stage, Serbia was an Austro-Hungarian ally. Despite Serbian public opinion being very strongly anti Austro-Hungarian, Kings Milan and Alexander both aligned Serbia with Austria-Hungary.

ICW post Berlin Balkans.png

Image source: The outline of history; being a plain history of life and mankind, the definitive edition revised and rearranged by the author, by H.G. Wells, illustrated by J. F. Horrabin, "Map of the Balkans to illustrate the Treaty of Berlin, 1878" (Public domain)

Last edited:
A minor request regarding maps. I've found a lot of good blank maps I can use in the Maps and Graphics Forum. However they almost exclusively seem to be bitmaps. I work a vector graphic program (Inkscape to be exact, it's similar to Illustrator which I used when I was a graphic artist and I find its feature set larger than sk1). So if anyone knows a good source for vector graphic map files, I'd very much appreciate it. SVG is my preferred format.

Last edited:
A minor request regarding maps. I've found a lot of good blank maps I can use in the Maps and Graphics Forum. However they almost exclusively seem to be bitmaps. I work a vector graphic program (Inkscape to be exact, it's similar to Illustrator which used when I was a graphic artist with and I find its feature set larger than sk1). So if anyone knows a good source for vector graphic map files, I'd very much appreciate it. SVG is my preferred format.
Obviously depending on the image itself, a fair few maps on Wikipedia are in an SVG format.

Helps understand how much the Russians wanted to hobble the Ottomans, build an uber Bulgaria (allied to them) and tried to give the Serbians (allied to A-H at the time) as little as possible. Plus it puts the whole affair into context, showing how the other Great Powers united to screw the Russians over.

Last edited:
I think the Russians were in a "screw the Ottomans specifically" mood at the time.

The Russians had been in a "screw the Ottomans specifically" mood for over a century. And the'd stay in that mood right up till both empires collapsed after the 1st WW. They REALLY wanted Constantinople. Actually getting control of the Turkish Straits has probably never left Russia's radar even now.

For completeness and comparison with the Treaty of Berlin borders. The borders in the Treaty of San Stefano (identical in both the OTL and TTL)

The first version of this I posted was seriously wrong, way too large a territorial gain by Serbia and Greece made absolutely no gains under this Treaty. I actually deleted it because when I looked into, I couldn't find clear evidence of its copyright status. I endeavour always to only use public domain or Creative Commons sourced images.

SouthEast_Europe_1878.jpg

Image source: British Library (Public domain)

Miss C's Design Notes #3 – Important posts and how to find them

In an effort to keep things readable I try to keep each chapter around 1,000 to 2,000 words. But this update to deal with India is really blowing out the word count. So I'm going to have to break up 1876 to 1883 up into individual years sigh. When I realised I'd have to breakup chapters a second time, I sat down and examined how I organise the TL. In the previous iterations I used threadmarks for two purposes, Firstly to tag any post I felt was important so it was relatively easy to find in future. Secondly they were intended to make it simple for anyone “coming in late” to the TL to “get up to speed.” All they had to do was click through the threadmarks and hey presto they'd have all the core information they needed to understand what was going on.

The problem I now feel with approach is the threadmarks included a huge amount of information you didn't need to understand the TL. In fact a lot of it was highly peripheral to that. There were maps, lists of who's allied to whom, ship data, fleet lists, design notes etc, Okay some of these extras, such as maps and alliances, were very useful to understanding what was going on. But the majority was basically just colour, albeit very interesting and from what I gathered, popular, colour. Nonetheless, the bottom line is this information wasn't needed and actually served to confuse things by leading to information overload. And this is the exact same approach I've been following in this iteration.

So, I'm changing that. I've broken the posts I regard as “Important” into seven different categories, each of which will be handled in one of three ways to ensure they're still relatively easy to find. In descending order of importance these categories, and how they'll be handled, are:

Timeline chapters: These are the posts which contain the meat of the TL, the sequence of events which define the TL in chronological order. All these will be threadmarked and they will be virtually the only posts which are, though the first five threadmarks will be something else (I'll get to that in a bit).

Maps: Fairly self explanatory. Maps and other useful graphics which help visually display the TL changes.

Introduction posts: There will be five of these, right at the start and they're the other posts which will be threadmarked. These are the general overview of the TL and four indexes. These indexes will contain links to almost all the other important posts. There'll be a map index, design note index, naval matters index and military matters index. The timeline chapters are threadmarked, so they don't need an index, and the least important category don't get an index at all.

Design Notes: This is a catch all for a lot of things. Everything from my ramblings intended to give a peak behind the curtain, to lists of alliances and boring details on GDP, populations etc. A few of these will be just colour, but most I believe will be useful for getting a deeper understanding of the TL, as well as keeping track of a shifting multipolar world.

Naval matters: I have a love of navies and ships. All the iterations have include things like fleet lists, ship data, ramblings on the development of naval warfare ITTL etc. I'd like to include things like battle reports and maps in this too, but that probably won't happen, too time consuming sadly, however you never know. These are all basically just colour. But they do seem to be popular, so they get an index.

Military matters: Exactly the same as Naval matters, just for land and aerial warfare. Everything I said about Naval matters applies equally to these. There were only ever a small handful of these, but I like to keep them separate from naval matters.

Updates: These are the least important group. They are simply updates I've had to make to existing posts to keep the TL on track as it evolves. Just any new information which has been added to existing posts so people can keep up-to-date without having to constantly reread the entire TL. There are a distressingly large number of these. I had to seriously consider if I wanted to track them at all. In the end, I decided yes. People might go away for some time and want to get a listing of any updates during their absence. They'll be marked by the label “=McUpdate=” at the end of each update. If you want to find them, just do a search of the thread for posts by me including that text string. I'm not going to add the label to all the existing updates (far too many), but all from here will have it.

Moving from how I used to organise the TL to this new system will require a major overhaul unfortunately and the four most recent Timeline Chapters will disappear temporarily (hopefully only briefly). These cover the years 1878-1884. However, not necessarily a bad thing, this Indian upgrade the TL's currently undergoing is adding thousands of words to it, all these chapters were going to have to be split anyway, as is the 1876-77 chapter. When these chapters are reposted, there WILL BE an update post for each giving any new information on its own. This means people only have to read that update, not the entire chapter all over again. I'll also do them one at a time over a few days, so as to avoid overloading.

As part of this overhaul, the five most recent Chapters will be temporarily “blanked” (their content replaced by an Under Renovation note). All the information will continue to be available, I'll park it in one single and massive temporary post. So in the meantime it can still be read. As the overhaul progresses, I'll delete the replaced data from the temporary post, eventually deleting it entirely.

So, to summarise, the TL will be “offline” for awhile during this overhaul. Hopefully it'll be moving again with 24 hours and back fully up to speed in a week or two. Management does apologise for any inconvenience in the interim, but I think it will make things far easier to comprehend. Yes I know this Design Notes post got a threadmark when I said the wouldn't. Just a temporary thing until it's included in the appropriate index.

UPDATE

Well never thought I'd update a Design Notes post, but this TL has a habit of surprising me (well actually this just didn't occur to me). There is actually a type of important post I missed. Stories. I always intended this as a setting for storytelling, so I might add them. They'll get their own index too, pushing 1876-77 out for a bit. And I'll even invite anyone else who wants to throw one into the pot to feel free, shared universes are way richer. I think that'd be kind of fun.

Last edited:
UPDATE

Well never thought I'd update a Design Notes post, but this TL has a habit of surprising me (well actually this just didn't occur to me). There is actually a type of important post I missed. Stories. I always intended this as a setting for storytelling, so I might add them. They'll get their own index too, pushing 1876-77 out for a bit. And I'll even invite anyone else who wants to throw one into the pot to feel free, shared universes are way richer. I think that'd be kind of fun.

=McUpdate=

Maps and Graphics Index
Stories Index
This is were links to any stories set in the timeline will be posted. As I said in the introduction, I really would like to turn this into a shared universe. So if anyone else is brave enough to try their hand, please really do feel free.

During my long break, I ran an online dieselpunk fantasy RPG using it as a setting. I even developed my own homebrew rule system for it. For me, that's a story. I still have all the files. If people are interested, I'll post them. Here's the introduction. Please let me know if you'd like more. I'll even try to contact the players and see if I can repost some characters and scenes.

* Pax Imperialis RPG: Introduction

Last edited:
Naval Matters Index
This is where you'll find links to things such as fleet list, ship data, ramblings on the development of naval warfare ITTL. If I get time, I'd love to include reports and maps of significant battles, but that would be time consuming, so probably not possible. However there are likely to be a fair number of links here eventually, even if there are none currently.

In the third iteration I actually wargamed out important naval battles, and the ship data is based on the rules I use (a homebrew modified version of a First World War quick play set I like). The ship data is based on what I need for those rules. For those interested in technical jiggery pokery stuff. Displacement is based on Washington Treaty standard displacement and rounded to the nearest 100 tons. Speed and armour are rounded to the nearest half inch or knot. Armour is classic pattern Krupps Cemented unless otherwise stated, with deck armour based on the flat. For those who are interest the values I use are: Iron = 0.3, Steel = 0.4, Compound = 0.5 Nickel = 0.65, Harvey = 0.75, KC = 1.0, AdvArm (Advanced armours) = 1.05. AoN (All or nothing) armour schemes are also noted when they crop up, as are armoured flight decks (AFD). I use Conways as my standard reference.

Engine Data features three details, type of engine, type of boiler and fuel
Engines: SE = simple expansion, CE = compound expansion, TE = triple expansion, Tu = turbine, GeTu = geared turbine, TuE = turboelectric, MS= diesel, GsTu = gas turbine, Nu = nuclear, El = electric, S/E = steam/electric (submarines), P/E = petrol/electric (submarines), D/E = diesel/electric (submarines)
Boilers: FT = fire tube, WT = water tube, SW = small water tube, HP = high pressure, VP = very high pressure, UP = ultra high pressure
Fuel: Coal, Oil, Petrol, Diesel, AvGas, Nuclear

Torpedo tubes (TT) may be aw (above water), uw (under water) or dk (deck mounted)

- Naval strength at the outbreak of the Sino-Japanese War
- Battle of Yalu River 1894
- Royal Navy 1870 to 1904: Battleships and Monitors
- Royal Navy 1870 to 1904: 1st Class Cruisers
- Royal Navy 1870 to 1904: Other Cruisers
- Qing Chinese Navy 1870 to 1904
- Navies of the Spanish-American War
- US "new" Navy: 1883 to 1904
-
Imperial Japanese Navy 1870 to 1904
- South American Navies 1870 to 1904
- Imperial Russian Navy 1870 to 1904