Why is there Titanic so well known compared to other sinking ships?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of these should be as well know as the Titanic.
Why? Why should lots of people know a comprehensive list of every disaster regardless of how mundane and uninteresting? Both of those had much smaller casualty lists than the Titanic, and were absolutely typical “cheap garbage scow of a boat is dangerously overloaded in defiance of common sense and safety rules, lots of people die” events.

Like I said, barely anyone remembers the Estonia which had more casualties than either of these and was only 25 years ago!

Considering the weather conditions at the time, binoculars wouldn't have helped anyway. The main way icebergs were spotted at night was by looking for the waves breaking at the base of the berg, the wave action would stir up phosphorescence allowing lookouts to spot the glow from farther away. The night Titanic sank the water was so flat calm that the officers on Titanic made special note of it, with several saying that they had never seen the ocean so flat before. The iceberg wouldn't have been spotted any quicker than in reality.

So if the weather that night had been different... Once again- the element of (bad)
luck.

Why? Why should lots of people know a comprehensive list of every disaster regardless of how mundane and uninteresting? Both of those had much smaller casualty lists than the Titanic, and were absolutely typical “cheap garbage scow of a boat is dangerously overloaded in defiance of common sense and safety rules, lots of people die” events.

Like I said, barely anyone remembers the Estonia which had more casualties than either of these and was only 25 years ago!
You are the first person that ever called a Steamship overloaded with Civil War Veterans, many of whom were prisoners of war in the south and whom were killed by a broiler explosion, uninteresting. There are still debates as to the cause of the Santana explosion and some Historians who say it was sabotage. The death of the 1100+ has been called the worst maritime disaster in US History. Despite being overloaded, no one was held responsible for the disaster. Hardly uninteresting.

The Eastland disaster with it death of 844 people is the largest loss of Life on the Great Lakes. Again I say that it need to be better known.
Sorry that you find that uninteresting .

I do recall the Estonia disaster. It been the subject of a History Channel Documentary and a episode of the show Zero Hour.

You are the first person that ever called a Steamship overloaded with Civil War Veterans, many of whom were prisoners of war in the south and whom were killed by a broiler explosion, uninteresting. There are still debates as to the cause of the Santana explosion and some Historians who say it was sabotage. The death of the 1100+ has been called the worst maritime disaster in US History. Despite being overloaded, no one was held responsible for the disaster. Hardly uninteresting.

The Eastland disaster with it death of 844 people is the largest loss of Life on the Great Lakes. Again I say that it need to be better known.
Sorry that you find that uninteresting
See, this is the relentless parochialism that makes a certain subset of North Americans infamous across the world. I’m moderately interested in history so I have some knowledge of when the American Civil War took place, and how significant it is. Most of the worlds population will either assume ‘Civil War’ means their civil war, or will ask “which civil war?” And if you tell them the American Civil War their knowledge will usually amount to ‘it was a civil war in America” or maybe “The Good The Bad and The Ugly”. So why should anyone outside the US be interested in a disaster that befell a bunch of veterans of another country’s civil war a hundred and fifteen years ago? Sure, a lot of people died, but many many much worse things will have happened much closer to home since then.

Likewise the Great Lakes are probably findable on a map by a decent part of the worlds population, they are kind of easily visible. The proportion of those people who would be surprised to hear that lots of people drowned in those lakes over the years is probably small, and the proportion interested in the specific details of mass drownings over a century ago even smaller. Just for context this oh-so-memorable tragedy occurred 4 days after the start of the battle of Le Linge, an obscure event I had literally never heard of until I went googling dates just now but which accounted for 17,000 people killed over the course of 4 months. So why are these 850 General Electric employees so much more deserving of historical attention than 17,000 French and German soldiers?

To anyone with a sense of perspective these things just blur into the background of historical trivia in which a few events stand out like landmarks, and “repeatable shipping disaster A37b Mk2” really isn’t any more memorable or interesting than “fratricidal eurobattle No 41,872”. Unless of course it is somewhere local, or personal, but then it certainly won’t be universal. We all die sometime, and it most likely won’t be in a way any number of people will remember a hundred years later.

i know--i actually looked up alot of Titanic movies that i hadn't known about before for one of my own projects :p ;)--i'm just saying that most people probably aren't aware of most of those in the same way that they probably aren't aware of lots of movies, plays, and books from earlier time periods
I can understand there are people who just don't either care about history or just don't put 2 and 2 together.. Just blows my mind to think those people exist.. Sad but true..

Soldiers are expected to die in Wars, not passengers in peacetime
Not to be callus, but when thousands of your own young men are dying every day in a terrible war that's already lasted a year the loss of a few hundred people in a single event on the other side of the world tends to get buried in the small ads of your newspapers, if it gets reported at all. It's a tragedy yes but a small one compared to the daily horrors of the Western Front.

To be fair that one has the misfortune of a) the sank like a stone problem and b) happening a couple of months before a even greater tragedy.
Yes, I recalled that since the Empress of Ireland sank in 1914, it must have been overshadowed by the war. But the sinking was in May, and the war didn't start until August. So the war did not affect the reporting, but it would have affected the long term remembrance.

Because it was extremely well documented and it took so long to sink a lot of drama had time to play out and it was all recorded for prosperity.
Not to mention the scale of the tragedy and the fact a string of mistakes were made that in hindsight easily avoidable.
The impact on safety could not be underestimated, many safety precautions we take for granted today where put in place after the Titanic's sinking

Oddly you were more likely to survive as a Third Class male on the Titanic than as a Second Class male but Second Class passengers in general seem to be invisible in a lot of Titantic media.

Makes sense to me. They don't have the glamor of First Class or the romanticism of Third Class, so it's only natural that fiction would focus less on them.

Because it was extremely well documented and it took so long to sink a lot of drama had time to play out and it was all recorded for prosperity.
Not to mention the scale of the tragedy and the fact a string of mistakes were made that in hindsight easily avoidable.
The impact on safety could not be underestimated, many safety precautions we take for granted today where put in place after the Titanic's sinking

I heard that those precautions saved a lot of lives in World War I. How true would you say that is?

I heard that those precautions saved a lot of lives in World War I. How true would you say that is?
Very true ,all Ships carry more than enough lifeboats for all passengers and Lifeboat drills were conducted at the start of every voyage.
The adequate life boat requirement was the big thing

Wilhelm Gustlof, Goya, Cap Arcona, Steuben
Also examples of war time ship sinkings wich nevertheless are less well known than Titanic. Wilhelm Gustlof is the single ship with the highest number of victims, 9000. Some earlier fleets had more dead in total, but she is the most by single ship sunk.

One other result of the Titanic disaster, in addition to lifeboat regulations, was the founding, and continuance to this day, and through two world wars of the International Ice Patrol, primarily carried out by the U.S. Coast Guard.

I remember hearing speculation that the Titanic disaster is relatively unknown in Italy. Of course, this speculation is mostly based on the existence of those ridiculous and borderline offensive animated movies about the sinking that both had "legend" in the title, so it should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

These days the sinking of the Titanic is known more as a film plot than an historic event. Make films about other disasters and they will be better known.

These Twitters in 2012 thought it was just a movie.
article-2129971-1299BD06000005DC-480_468x435.jpg

Everyone on this entire thread and website be like:
Bruh.png

Status
Not open for further replies.