Why has the Korean War become so forgotten?

lol, you complain about a lack of pop culture about the Korean War

someone posts about the most famous piece of Korean War pop-culture, and the reference sails over your head

have you thought that perhaps your OP was flawed

;-)

While nominally set in Korea, MASH had far more to do with the Vietnam War than the earlier conflict.

someone posts about the most famous piece of Korean War pop-culture, and the reference sails over your head

;-)
This isn't really helpful.

"Your thoughts are wrong! And here is a sarcastic smiley face!" isn't really conducive to great conversation.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Well OP if you’re that hurt about the absence of Korean War media then suicide is painless.

the Korean War figures in a variety of non American narratives for a variety of reasons. It rebooted Japan’s economy. It was an excuse for Soviet sphere journalists to mingle. There’s Wilfred Burchett’s reporting, and passport woes. There are a lot of non US perspectives on Korea. The British and Australian military historical perspectives are interesting. The KIMH book is quite good and it’s bias is easily read through.
This is Sonny the Sea Lion. He is a mere pup.

1626700776251.png

It makes him very sad when someone is a jerk on AH.com

Please don't make Sonny sad again.

marathag

Banned
Prior to the 1980s and as a result of the Korean War Korea was split between a modernised people’s democracy in the north and a backward, authoritarian South.
Ah yes, the 'Democracy' of the North with Fearless Leader ordering kidnapping of Southerners for the amusement and benefit for the DPRK Royal Family

marathag

Banned
I would definitely agree with you that South Korea was something of a disaster in it's early years. Both politically and economically. However I would also argue strongly against North Korea ever being a modern people's democracy. Even back in the 1960s and the 1970s . It's so called heyday . Regards.
When my Dad did his 2nd Tour of Korea in 1969(his emphysema kept him from going to Vietnam) he couldn't believe the difference from 1952. Seoul was no longer a bombed flat dirt poor backwater, but a modern city

I mean, i think OP already answered why it was sort of forgotten. There was no clearly defined winner or loser, it just sort of petered out into the stalemate we all know and love (to hate). That being said, it hasn’t been completely forgotten, at least in tabletop gaming. Chaosiu, released a sourcebook for their Call of Cthulhu game called Atomic Age Cthulhu which is set in the 1950s. One of the scenarios is about an tank crew going up against Cthulhu’s minions in Korea.

When my Dad did his 2nd Tour of Korea in 1969(his emphysema kept him from going to Vietnam) he couldn't believe the difference from 1952. Seoul was no longer a bombed flat dirt poor backwater, but a modern city
Both North and South Korea suffered terribly during the Korean War . On balance though I think that the South got hammered the worst . To all intents and purposes it was pretty much destroyed.

Not that there was much there to begin with. Fifty years of Japanese rule did very little to improve the infrastructure of Korea . It's absolutely amazing to see how South Korea has turned things around since then.

Its more than a little heartbreaking to think that many Koreans thought that the worst was over at the end of 1945 . When the Japanese occupation of their country finally ended .

If only they had known about the horrors that would be coming their way in only five years time . Regards.

;-)

I got the joke, and I thought it was pretty funny. However, since the line, taken literally, is basically advising someone to kill themselves, it really goes down badly if the other person doesn't get the reference.

If you wanna needle someone for not knowing about MASH, maybe another line from the same song would be better:

A: How come there's no pop-culture about the Korean War?

B: Well, you can take or leave it if you please.

(Granted, doesn't have the shock value of the other line.)

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
Not that there was much there to begin with. Fifty years of Japanese rule did very little to improve the infrastructure of Korea . It's absolutely amazing to see how South Korea has turned things around since then
Even in 1970, they were by many measures, dirt poor, with a GDP per Capita of like $300.
But they were on the way up, by 1977, that ratio had tripled.
At the same time, the DPRK was losing ground. They picked China over the USSR as patron, and China at that time, didn't have a lot of money to supply, and were unable to match the aid that the USSR and WP had bankrolled them to that point.

Even in 1970, they were by many measures, dirt poor, with a GDP per Capita of like $300.
But they were on the way up, by 1977, that ratio had tripled.
At the same time, the DPRK was losing ground. They picked China over the USSR as patron, and China at that time, didn't have a lot of money to supply, and were unable to match the aid that the USSR and WP had bankrolled them to that point.
I've often wondered how things might have gone for the DPRK if they had picked the USSR over China . Obviously in the short term there would have been more investment. But the wheels would still have started come off the waggon after 1984 . Glasnost and perestroika might have become more of a thing in a DPRK that was more closely aligned with the USSR .

Not to mention the fact that China would have been throughly affronted by the DPRK turning it's back on China . Especially after all the blood and treasure it spent on the DPRK during the Korean War.

This would obviously have become more and more of an issue as time went by . Particularly after 1991. You can certainly understand why the DPRK went with China . I'm really not sure that they realistically had any other choice.

Last edited: